Ares Games

Thread: Plastic wings for my Bombers

Default Plastic wings for my Bombers

Well having made my first Gotha a while ago and finding out that it weighed a lot (especially compared to the larger HP 0/400) and then seeing some on here with replicated resin wings, I decided to get another 3 Gothas (Skytrex do a deal on 3) and attempt making my own resin wings.

I was also recently tempted to buy 3 AEG G.IVs from 3 different vendors to do a comparison build. The Reviresco one has not arrived yet, the SRAM one has very thin, flimsy wings and the Skytrex one has heavy metal wings. So guess what?

Yes, I decide to make 2 moulds and try to cast myself some resin wings for each type of bomber. While I was trawling around the web trying to find a good moulding compound supplier I happened upon one that also sold a (new?) 2-part liquid plastic casting compound and thought I would give it a try instead of resin. It's a 50/50 mix and gives you 2 minutes working time, after which it cures in about 10 minutes. At least enough to de-mould.

So after a couple of trys, here are my results.

They are light, flexible and quite strong. All they need now is a little cleaning up and away I go building much lighter bomber models.

Woo hoo!!!

Looking good.
    Let me know when your wings go up for sale.

That's a very commendable job Tony - more details of what it is and how to do it please !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Those look great - you should be casting whole planes!

Wow... I am so going to have to learn how to do that!
    Last edited by The Cowman; 12-03-2010 at 00:11. Reason: typo
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Looks good. Did you make silicone molds for these?

This is undoubtedly worth a detailed write up. I know several people on the drome do their own wings, so how about it boys, let us share the old alchemy. My A.E.G. is a bit top heavy too.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Ed2 View Post
    Looking good.
    Let me know when your wings go up for sale.
    Sorry but I won't be selling them as that would be illegal, because they are a copy of someone else's work and I don't want to spend my time producing things to sell. I've been there before and it's not really worth it. My day job pays way more

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    That's a very commendable job Tony - more details of what it is and how to do it please !
    Ok pe patient and I'll do a tutorial with photo's.

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamBarkerVC View Post
    Those look great - you should be casting whole planes!
    Bare in mind that I've only copied an original here and I would have to do the sculpting to do my own planes. I have actually thought about it. They would be resin/plastic wings and probably fuselage and white metal small parts just like the skytrex HP as I think that's a winning combo. I just don't have the time to do the sculpting and it would take an age for each plane as I'm so anal about the corect detail.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cowman View Post
    Wow... I am so going to have to learn how to do that!
    No problem Ken. There are enough of us on here that can teach you. the real secret is LEGO!

Quote Originally Posted by Skullduggery View Post
    Looks good. Did you make silicone molds for these?
    Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    This is undoubtedly worth a detailed write up. I know several people on the drome do their own wings, so how about it boys, let us share the old alchemy. My A.E.G. is a bit top heavy too.
    Rob.
    Yes, I'm up for that Rob. I should be able to do it within a week or so.

Looking forward to the write up, great stuff Tony. I am going to be forced to get some AEG's, damn.

What's the name of the compound and where did you get it Tony?

(Our work IT police prevent pictures from displaying, so for all I know you might have a d**n great piccie of the compound in your first post)
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    What's the name of the compound and where did you get it Tony?
    The silicone moulding compound is: 'RTV Silicone Mould Making Rubber' by MB Fibreglass & Supplies and I got it via Amazon.co.uk.

Product Description:
    Our Silicone has been formulated for easy mixing by hand, with colour coded components giving a visual aid to ensure mixing is adequate. The two components mix easily and because of the low viscosity most grades can be used without processing in a vacuum chamber. Downloadable Instruction Sheet URL on Invoice

The Liquid Plastic Casting Resin is: 'EasyFlo 60 Polyurethane Liquid Plastic Casting Resin' again available from MBFG through Amazon.co.uk

Product Description:
    EasyFloTM Liquid Plastics are excellent for casting decorative objects, production parts, tools, models, duplicate masters and more. EasyFlo systems consist of two parts (A and B) that, after mixing, quickly cure to tough polyurethane plastics. Since Parts A and B are super-low viscosity liquids, they are easy to mix, provide excellent detail penetration, and make bubble-free castings without vacuum degassing or pressure casting techniques. Rapid demold times make EasyFlo ideal for high-volume, fast-cast applications.EasyFlo 60 pours like water, so making bubble free parts is easy and fast (2-min working time, 10-min demold).FEATURES Easy 1:1 mix, by volume Rapid demold Reproduces finest detail Tough, non-brittle formula Excellent bubble release Reduced need for pressure or vacuum Cures Colour : White

I've included some nice pic's just so that you can't see them Steve

Default from pa

nice thay look grate! better than the ather one's kkep it up!!good info!!!

Not happy with the strut hole locations on the Gotha wings and some detail is missin so I think I may be makin a new set of masters and cast again from them. The AEG is fine.

So if anyone wants the Gotha wings please PM me. First come first served.

Tony

Thanks for the info on the moulding solutions and where to get them Tony. I will give it a go once Christmas is over and done with.
    Rob.

Hi Rob,

If you haven't already been swamped with applicants, I think I could give the wings a good home with or without 'iffy' locating holes.

I'm down in the depths of deepest Somerset, albeit, thankfully, without any snow!

Anyone let me know either way. Just got to order the Skytrex Gotha(s) now. Trouble is that I know once I get on their site I'll go into 'must have a couple of those' mode etc., etc.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by creativeopus View Post
    Hi Rob,

If you haven't already been swamped with applicants, I think I could give the wings a good home with or without 'iffy' locating holes.

I'm down in the depths of deepest Somerset, albeit, thankfully, without any snow!

Anyone let me know either way. Just got to order the Skytrex Gotha(s) now. Trouble is that I know once I get on their site I'll go into 'must have a couple of those' mode etc., etc.

Thanks.
    It's Tony with the wings. I've just got the halo. Got to have a couple of those ain't too bad. How do you think I feel. I'm only 20 minutes drive from the factory.
    Rob.

Hi Tony,

If the wings are still available I could give them a good home even with the 'iffy' fixing holes. Just got to order the Skytrex Gothas.

Thanks

It's Tony with the wings. I've just got the halo. Got to have a couple of those ain't too bad. How do you think I feel. I'm only 20 minutes drive from the factory.
    Rob.
    Sorry Rob. I must have been having one of those senior moments, either that or I've just been flying too long and too high! When I said 'a couple' that's the line I use with my wife. Similar ruses and excuses include:

"These? New? no way, they've been in the garage/loft for ages"

"New! No I swopped them"

"Well yes they are new, but I only spent what I made at the 'Bring and Buy"

"I know they LOOK new, but actually they're years old. Quite rare now actually. Might even appreciate in value?!"

I'm sure there's more excuses/lies that we all use to conceal the real value of our er... acquisitions.

Bye for now.

Another source for mold making ad casting would be smooth-on here in the states. I haven't tried them yet but they have good tutorial videos on their site.
    http://www.smooth-on.com/

Hi Tony,

If the wings are still available I could give them a good home even with the 'iffy' fixing holes. Just got to order the Skytrex Gothas.

Thanks
    Sure thing. Just PM me with your address and I'll send them down to you

Nice work Tony, hopefully in the near future Mr Skytrex will make all his bombers with Resin wings, not sure how the small fighters would work

"No problem Ken. There are enough of us on here that can teach you. the real secret is LEGO!"

Nice job! ...um...what is LEGO?

Hi Tony,
    Are you sure you don't want something for them?
    Thanks again.
    Paul, don't put your address on an open thread. If you really want to give something for the wings then please make a donation to the Aerodrome. That way we all benefit by keeping the site going

Cheers

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by tonyc206 View Post
    I've included some nice pic's just so that you can't see them Steve
    Cheers Tony. I'm home now so I can see the pics, and boy, don't those wings look good.

Ordered some plastic compound, up in the loft tomorrow to find my Lego and moulding putty!

Hi Tony,
    My details are:
    Paul Davies
    Paul.
    Wipe your address before it is seen by too many guests to the site. Damage limitation.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyc206 View Post
    No problem Ken. There are enough of us on here that can teach you. the real secret is LEGO!
    Thanks Tony... I look forward to it! I assume the materials can be a tad expensive? Can't wait to find out what LEGO stands for! I wish I could just hop a plane over the pond and come bug some of you chaps for a while! I have always wanted to spend some time in London and explore England and Scotland (at least the places I can get to in a wheelchair!)
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Thanks Tony... I look forward to it! I assume the materials can be a tad expensive? Can't wait to find out what LEGO stands for! I wish I could just hop a plane over the pond and come bug some of you chaps for a while! I have always wanted to spend some time in London and explore England and Scotland (at least the places I can get to in a wheelchair!)
    I am just guessing but I think you may know it as Duplo. If you Google Lego it will open up a whole new world to you.
    Rob.

I am just guessing but I think you may know it as Duplo. If you Google Lego it will open up a whole new world to you.
    Rob.
    Doh! I feel silly! I know what LEGOs are... I enjoy building with Legos! I just thought that LEGO was an acronym for something else... so now I can't wait to see how you use LEGOS to create molds!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Paul.
    Wipe your address before it is seen by too many guests to the site. Damage limitation.
    Rob.
    Yeah that, they're a funny bunch around here

Tony, a few Q's while I'm waiting for my compound to arrive - when you made the wings did you use a release agent on the moulds?

And how do you think the plastic compares with resin ? Is the finished article as brittle?

Can't wait to give it a go

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    Nice work Tony, hopefully in the near future Mr Skytrex will make all his bombers with Resin wings, not sure how the small fighters would work
    I have actually emailed him and suggested that. It would make for some excellent light weight models. Not sure it's really needed for the smaller ones.

Not really the materials for this project cost less than £40. I think Rob has dealt with the LEGO bit. You're always welcome to pop over for a while Ken. Since the DDA (Disabilities Disrcrimination Act) most places now are geared up for wheelchair access.

Tony, a few Q's while I'm waiting for my compound to arrive - when you made the wings did you use a release agent on the moulds?
    No need with this as it's a single piece mold and the plastic pops out quite nicely, once cured.

And how do you think the plastic compares with resin ? Is the finished article as brittle?
    Slightly lighter and way more flexible. Here's a photo of my Base Commander giving a demonstration. See how privilaged you guys are?

Similar Missions

1. Thoughts on the Big Bombers
    By Wolfbiter in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-20-2010, 11:17
  2. Taking Down Bombers
    By Hamburger in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-07-2010, 13:27
  3. More WW1 Bombers
    By Bedlam in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 16