Ares Games

Thread: Balloon Assault Scenario Idea - Input Requested

Default Balloon Assault Scenario Idea - Input Requested

I am hosting my next Wings of Glory gaming day on Saturday, July 15th. I am planning a scenario where each side will have a balloon to defend and would appreciate your input on my draft scenario below.

Basic and Standard Rules will be used only for ease of play. Thank you for your kind and gentle feedback!

Balloon Assault

1. The players first decide which side they are playing for and divide the players evenly as possible.

2. Each side is given 1 balloon and 2 AA gun emplacements. The balloons are deployed one-half ruler distance from the center of the friendly map edge. The AA gun emplacements are placed at one ruler’s distance from the friendly map edge and one ruler’s distance away from the left and right sides measured from the center dots.

3. The object of the game is to eliminate the enemy balloon first. If both balloons are eliminated during the same turn, or the game ends prior to elimination of an enemy balloon, the team with the most points wins (see Points Summary).

4. When a player is shot down over enemy territory (or No-man’s Land) or leaves the board, they may re-enter the game two turns after they were eliminated. Any player shot down over friendly territory may re-enter the game the next turn after they were eliminated. The plane reenters anywhere within one-half ruler’s length of the friendly map edge and at least one ruler's length away from an enemy plane.

Points Summary (only used if both enemy balloons destroyed simultaneously)
    1 – Destroyed AA machine gun
    2 - Enemy plane leaves from friendly map edge
    3 – Enemy plane exits from any other map edge
    5 – Enemy plane shot down

Balloon Damage Points
    1 – For each damage point
    5 – Five point bonus if on fire

Note: Balloon damage points are only counted if the game ends prior to an enemy balloon being destroyed.

sounds good. it sounds a lot like scenarios run at origins every year.

I wouldn't put the balloon so close to the edge Mike, I've found you need to give them room to fly round behind it. You could also offset the balloons one ruler from centre so they are on a diagonal from each other.
    For ease of play you could also consider using the solo rules for the AA, I find that allows the players to concentrate on flying and makes it less... personal !
    Anyway, here's the solo rule, see what you think:

Don’t place the 'shell' counter as per the multi-player rules but shoot as soon as any part of an enemy aircraft's base is within range of the gun (two rulers of distance).
    Draw an A damage card to see if the aim of the AA battery is correct.
    If there's no special damage on the card, the aim is wrong and the shot misses.
    If there's any type of special damage (including jammed guns) then a hit has been scored, ignore the result on the A card and draw a C damage card as the damage caused to the aircraft.
    Do not fire the gun as soon as it is reloaded, as per the multi-player rules. Instead, wait one phase, then shoot at any targets in range.
    (To clarify - a gun takes 3 phases to reload, it can then fire on the next ie the 4th phase)
    Don’t fire at a target if any point of the targets base is within a half-ruler of distance from a friendly balloon or aircraft base.
    If more than one target could be shot at by the AA gun, choose one randomly to be shot at, unless the scenario you are playing provides a specific rule stating which aircraft are more important. (For example, two-seaters may be seen as more important for artillery to shoot at than fighters.)

"He is wise who watches"

Excellent suggestions! I will follow both!!

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    I wouldn't put the balloon so close to the edge Mike, I've found you need to give them room to fly round behind it. You could also offset the balloons one ruler from centre so they are on a diagonal from each other.
    For ease of play you could also consider using the solo rules for the AA, I find that allows the players to concentrate on flying and makes it less... personal !
    Anyway, here's the solo rule, see what you think:

Don’t place the 'shell' counter as per the multi-player rules but shoot as soon as any part of an enemy aircraft's base is within range of the gun (two rulers of distance).
    Draw an A damage card to see if the aim of the AA battery is correct.
    If there's no special damage on the card, the aim is wrong and the shot misses.
    If there's any type of special damage (including jammed guns) then a hit has been scored, ignore the result on the A card and draw a C damage card as the damage caused to the aircraft.
    Do not fire the gun as soon as it is reloaded, as per the multi-player rules. Instead, wait one phase, then shoot at any targets in range.
    (To clarify - a gun takes 3 phases to reload, it can then fire on the next ie the 4th phase)
    Don’t fire at a target if any point of the targets base is within a half-ruler of distance from a friendly balloon or aircraft base.
    If more than one target could be shot at by the AA gun, choose one randomly to be shot at, unless the scenario you are playing provides a specific rule stating which aircraft are more important. (For example, two-seaters may be seen as more important for artillery to shoot at than fighters.)

Glad to be of help Mike

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    [...]
    I'm not usually one for 'House Rules' but these look nice. Thanks Dave (Flash), I think I'm going to add these rules to my kit as well. Great addition for ease of play.

Similar Missions

1. Scenario Idea (even if farfetched lunacy)
    By AZTiger98 in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-14-2015, 07:55
  2. Just a thought - I Had this wonderful idea for a OTT Scenario
    By Blackronin in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-19-2015, 14:43
  3. Scenario Idea: First carrier attack in history.
    By Rabbit 3 in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 05-01-2013, 23:56
  4. Idea: Using paratroopers in a Scenario
    By Thomatchef in forum WGS: House Rules
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-06-2012, 23:49
  5. Assault to the armoured train (solo scenario)
    By Gravitypool in forum WGS: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-14-2011, 04:17