Ares Games

Thread: Proper Vallejo colors (ok colours) for Wildcats and Zeroes

Default Proper Vallejo colors (ok colours) for Wildcats and Zeroes

Hi all,
    I am considering purchasing a flight of Wildcats and flight of Zeroes from Armaments in Miniature and am looking for advice on proper colors/colours for the fuselages of the planes. I really like using Vallejo paints and would very much appreciate any insights the more experienced flyer-modelers on the site can give me. I presume the Wildcat scheme would be appropriate for the Corsairs I plan to order as well.
    Thanks in advance,
    Bill

I saw this on the official painting thread for the Wildcats: "Paint is Vallejo Air Color insignia blue. " (thanks miscmini)-- so I'll go with that unless there are other suggestions -- I'll look on the thread for Zeroes to see if I can find similar info there...
    Last edited by NewFlyBoy; 07-11-2017 at 17:36.

Vallejo don't do a colour anywhere close to that required for Zekes.

They don't do a "Sky" paint to match RAF Hurricanes and Spitfires, and the Zeke 'Sky' should be even paler than that.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Actually, Prince August / Vallejo have a series of paints called "aero" for plane modellers, which include quite a few greens and browns, and a chromium yellow for japanese planes. References are P013/018/019/027/039/134/135/136. All may not be useful for zeroes, but I'm sure they are a good start. For the light grey of the IJN zeroes, you can use P820 (off white) as a base. i'm sure they have USN blues and greys too, but have never used them.
    These paints are specifically designed for use with an airbrush, so you'll need to apply several coats to get a nice finish as they are a bit thinner than "regular" ones.
    Last edited by Sulring; 07-13-2017 at 01:00.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulring View Post
    Actually, Prince August / Vallejo have a series of paint called "aero" for plane modellers, which include quite a few greens and browns, and a chromium yellow for japanese planes. References were P013/018/019/027/039/134/135/136. All may not be useful for zeroes, but I'm sure they are a good start. For the light grey of the IJN zeroes, you can use P820 (off white) as a base. i'm sure they have USN blues and greys too, but have never used them.
    These paints are specifically designed for use with an airbrush, so you'll need to apply several coats to get a nice finish as they are a bit thinner than "regular" ones.
    Thanks for the info ! Very useful.
    Bill

The thing about the Zeke "grey" is that it should not be a grey at all.

It was a VERY pale green, with a touch of brownish tinge about it.

When I painted my 1/700 Zekes, I tried white first, then off-white, but neither looked right to me.
    Finally I used Tamiya XF-21 "Sky", mixed with white, to get a very very very pale green.

Many great ideas here and thanks for posting them. I did a repaint of Wildcats and used Prussian Dark Blue on them. Wasn't sure what to do. Some of my Japanese I use Tamiya Deck tan and others flat aluminum. Try to be as accurate as I can but sometime I just like what they look like.

Default Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    Many great ideas here and thanks for posting them. I did a repaint of Wildcats and used Prussian Dark Blue on them. Wasn't sure what to do. Some of my Japanese I use Tamiya Deck tan and others flat aluminum. Try to be as accurate as I can but sometime I just like what they look like.
    Bob,
    How did the Prussian Dark Blue turn out ? I have quite a bit of that from my Napoleonic Wars efforts.
    best,
    Bill

Vallejo do an Air War color series. I just got the USN & USMC set of 8. As soon as I try them out I'll let you know the results. I think they do Japanese set too.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Vallejo do an Air War color series. I just got the USN & USMC set of 8. As soon as I try them out I'll let you know the results. I think they do Japanese set too.
    Excellent news! I look forward to hearing from you.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Teaticket, did you ever use the Vallejo air war color set for your PTO planes? I’m eying them now (in 2020).

So far I have only painted 2 USN planes with the Vallejo colors from the Air set F6F Hellcats. I prime with black and used 2 coats. It is a very dark blue with the black prime! Next ones I will try a grey prime.

I have used the Japanese colors and really like the outcome.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F6F 137 1.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	182.8 KB 
ID:	295445

Check this chart, but do it quick--it goes nonfunctional later this month when Adobe kills Flash.

https://www.paint4models.com
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

I have bought for my AWI Hessians a bottle of Vallejo Game Colour Night Blue. I have used this colour over Chaos Black primer and it is a very dark blue. I will check later what mid tone colour I will be using for the Hessians coats and get back to you Bill.

Actually, Peter's black-prime looks very close to FS15042 Dark Sea Blue I've seen on museum aircraft. Maybe 1 part white and balance DSB in a 5- or 10-part mix on a black base.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Check this chart, but do it quick--it goes nonfunctional later this month when Adobe kills Flash....
    WT....

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

.....................later this month when Adobe kills Flash.
    Stay clear of Wild West Mexican villages, Dave!!!!

Adobe is terminating their Flash plugin for browsers.
    https://www.adobe.com/products/flash...d-of-life.html
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/barryco...s-of-websites/

This will also nuke our File Uploader here...

Adobe is terminating their Flash plugin for browsers.
    https://www.adobe.com/products/flash...d-of-life.html
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/barryco...s-of-websites/

This will also nuke our File Uploader here...
    Ummmmmm........Does Keith know this?
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Ummmmmm........Does Keith know this?
    Karl
    I've been trying to sound the alarm both here and at the Anchorage, but so far no acknowledgment.

Similar Missions

1. WGF Vallejo airbrush paint colors
    By sctodd in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-02-2016, 15:54
  2. Rudder and engine damage hit counters - zeroes?!
    By Nightbomber in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-11-2016, 22:53
  3. Vallejo Colours for British Sky Blue, Duck egg Blue & Duck Egg Green?
    By gully_raker in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-08-2015, 21:09
  4. WGF Albatros colours - Vallejo equivalences
    By Guntruck in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-15-2014, 17:47
  5. Vallejo gaming colours
    By check6 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-25-2010, 10:04