Ares Games

Thread: PTO Northrop P-61 Black Widows

Default PTO Northrop P-61 Black Widows

Kevin

Here's the first of those requests I mentioned I had for you, for 1/200 scale Northrop P-61 Black Widows. AE Models on Shapeways has two P-61s available, one with dorsal turret, and one without. Most Black Widows didn't have the turret; it caused some buffeting, but the big reason was that the B-29 Superfortress had priority over the P-61 in their manufacture. Anyway, the two aircraft I'd first like to see are both turreted Olive Drab over Neutral Gray birds from the PTO: P-61A 'Skippy'/'Nocturnal Nemesis, from the 421st NFS (based at Tacloban in the Philippines), and P-61A 'Jap-Batty' from the 6th NFS (based on Saipan). The aircraft got its name in large part because the Army Air Force decided that Gloss Black was the most suitable finish for a night fighter, but many ETO Black Widows had invasion stripes on the underside of their tail booms, and I feel that black P-61s really need their red 'pinstriping' (probably access panel lines) to look good. Anyway, here are some images, the first two from Wings Palette:

And to give an idea of the red access panel lines:

I don't have an AE Models Black Widow yet--it's the centerpiece of an order I just placed with Shapeways--but when I do, I'll be happy to provide any assistance needed with dimensions.

Thanks!

Miscellaneous Miniatures
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kevin
    Sorties Flown

Darryl, I've a 1/200 P-61 with primer on it. I need to do some sanding, scraping and filing though. Kevin

Black widows are on my want list; which Shapeways shop sells them?
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Black widows are on my want list; which Shapeways shop sells them?
    Karl
    Our forum's Foz has two available from his AE Models shop, one with dorsal turret, and one without. There's also a turret P-61 with prop blades, drop tanks and gear down available in 1/200 from wwwitalik's shop. I was little leery of the way the links displayed when I previewed this post, so I deleted them, but a search for P-61 on Shapeways will show them within the first half dozen results.
    Last edited by DarrylH; 07-12-2017 at 15:37.

Thanks; Usually he posts new planes on the SW sub-forum. I must have missed them.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Thanks; Usually he posts new planes on the SW sub-forum. I must have missed them.
    Karl
    I don't see any on Foz's list but another Shapeways designer makes 2. One without 'HERE', and one with landing gear 'HERE'.

They are on the Shapeways list I maintain.
    Last edited by Teaticket; 02-14-2018 at 13:10.

The problem with the AE Models P-61s is that they are huge, probably about 1/144 scale--both Kevin (Miscmini) and I had bought one and marveled at the size of the Black Widow before he did the measurements and realized they were seriously off. The www.italik P-61, in contrast, scales out just about right.

Interesting; he has them listed as 1/200
    Karl

Oops, I corrected the above link for the without landing gear. I'll add in Foz's to the Shapeways list.

IMG_4794.jpg

Here is the BLACK WIDOW they are working on at the Mid Atlantic Aviation Museum in Reading PA. I always donate because I want to see this plane fly.

These are fantastic planes but my less than average modelling skills wouldn't be up to those markings. I know you can print your own decals but I can never get them to scale correctly. An Ares version would be great, if expensive over here.

Interesting; he has them listed as 1/200
    Karl
    Here are a couple pictures of the AE Models and www.italik P-61s; the AE Models Black Widow is in front and on the ground. Keep in mind that the www.italik P-61's wingspan and fuselage length are at most a millimeter off from being exactly right in 1/200 scale.

This might be a bit late, but updates are being done to P-61 cards.

Link: P-61 Black Widow Night Fighter

If someone needs something specific?
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    This might be a bit late, but updates are being done to P-61 cards.

Link: P-61 Black Widow Night Fighter

If someone needs something specific?
    And a Management Card is now available at the above link.
    Mike

I'd love to see 'Skippy/Nocturnal Nemesis' from the 421st NFS if you get a chance to get to it, Mike.

P-61A from 421st NFS, complete with checkered props spinners:
    WGS P-61A_421stNFS_PlaneCard.jpg Views: 33 Size: 135.7 KB">WGS P-61A_421stNFS_PlaneCard.jpg

WGS P-61A_421stNFS_MgmtCardV2.jpg Views: 8 Size: 78.2 KB">WGS P-61A_421stNFS_MgmtCardV2.jpg
    [Edit: Renumbered the Crew Icons on the card to reflect the positions on the stats box.]
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 07-04-2020 at 20:16.
    Mike

Thank you, sir!

Similar Missions

1. What you can find in Black Sea...
    By Dan-Sam in forum WGS: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-08-2017, 16:00
  2. Pot, Beagle, Black...
    By csadn in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-13-2015, 02:21
  3. Site: And the Black Wings, Black Tidings winner is....
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 03-08-2014, 17:03
  4. General Northrop P-61 Black Widow
    By bigk57 in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-07-2012, 07:19