Ares Games

Thread: M-Con 2017 - Wings of Glory Appearance

Default M-Con 2017 - Wings of Glory Appearance

This year, M-Con (previously MosaiCon) 2017 is on the 16th and 17th of September.

Name:  mosaicon-bannerComp.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  87.3 KB

Info for this year can be found here: M-Con.ca/

Last year's event: MosaiCon - Wings of Glory Appearance (2016)

No schedule up yet, but I'm organizing an appearance.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

The 17th of September is the 77th Anniversary of the Battle of Britain.

Now is the time to slap a Very Big Hypocrite sign on my back.

I am arranging for several WGF scenarios over the two days, and had planned to shun WGS. With more players, and potential converts in the Nanaimo area, the fact that I don't want to promote the game doesn't mean other can't do it in my place.

I have been collecting Wings of War Battle of Britain planes to near exclusion of everything in the Wings WWII realm. I have been promoting the Wings game for five years, and I now have several people on the island and the lower mainland that play this game. Enough, actually, to have a really good shot at a one-for-one re-enactment of Adler Tag! Well, that's a bit of an exageration. However, I am certain that even my local group of players could literally fill the table with planes.

So, I am putting a call out to all Wings of Glory/War players in BC to come and swarm the table. Can you bring minis? If not, there will be plenty of planes to fly, even if only my planes are available. I can see participants each flying schwarms of Bf-109s and Vics of RAF planes, not just single planes.

Name:  BoB-AdlerTag.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  185.3 KB
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 09-11-2017 at 22:22. Reason: Update graphic
    Mike

Ares has given me permission to demo Tripods & Triplanes at M-Con. And in the not too distant future, there will be an official announcement on the game.

So, Saturday afternoon, the tripods will be menacing Nanaimo.

Name:  Box-Cover.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  160.3 KB
    Mike

Can't wait for the pictures Mike. Hope all goes well with your weekend.

Neil
    See you on the Dark Side......

It seems like the weekend will look a bit like this:

Saturday, 16th Sep:
    10:00 - 13:00 WoG WWI Snoopy vs the Red Baron: Sopwith Camels against Fokker Dr.1s

14:00 - 17:00 WoG Tripods & Triplanes Demo Game. In anticipation of the soon-to-be-released game, players will have a chance to test-drive the rules.

Sunday, 17th Sep:
    10:00 - 13:00 WoG WWI Dogfight Challenge: Head-to-Head combat with the same planes.

14:00 - 17:00 WoG WWII Alder Tag: Hosted by Kelsey Watts, another Comox WoG Fan, with every BoB plane in the Comox Valley on the table (over 20 minis!).
    Name:  BoB-AdlerTag.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  185.3 KB

Mini List so far:
    6 Hurricanes
    9 Spitfires
    10+ Bf.109s
    3 He.111s
    3 Ju.87s
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 09-11-2017 at 22:26.
    Mike

That looks like an exciting programme. May I wish you all every success.

Got to get these done, the Con is only days away!

Name:  M-Con2017_T-T_AceCards2.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  235.8 KB
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 09-16-2017 at 01:03. Reason: Revised card.
    Mike

Good luck, Mike.
    Hope you get a good turnout.

P.S. It's interesting that it's Tripods and Triplanes but all the planes in the pic are biplanes.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post

P.S. It's interesting that it's Tripods and Triplanes but all the planes in the pic are biplanes.
    Yeah. About that...

The designers went with the alliteration thingey. So, I do have a bunch of triplanes, but the RNAS ones are mostly single-gunned planes. Anyway, there will be SPAD XIIs with 37mm cannons, and now Russian planes with anchors(?). Yup. The designers have adde in anchors and cables, to trip up the tripods. Should be mass mayhem at the demo games.

PS: I did up the image by borrowing the Burning Drachens box art and pasting in the tripod getting blasted by rockets.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post

PS: I did up the image by borrowing the Burning Drachens box art and pasting in the tripod getting blasted by rockets.
    And a great job you did. too!

Really looking forward to pics from this one.

Great imagery. Hope all goes well Mike.

"He is wise who watches"

What they all said!

You deserve a great turnout and game con for all the effort you have put in!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

8 hours and counting...

Name:  M-Con2017_WGF_AceCards2.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  231.9 KB
    Mike

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Good luck today and tomorrow, Mike - your games are sure to be hits! Sorry I'm late to this thread; somehow I overlooked it. I look forward to the T&T pictures and AAR, and I am looking forward to whatever 'coming announcement' heralds the game may 'soon' be upon us

All the best,
    Matt

Just smile, show your passion for game and aviation history and it must be a success! Crossing fingers from South Yorkshire Air Museum (just received 14x A and 8x B chits during the very fir t fire of SoG and have plenty of time for support )

The organizers didn't use any of the images I sent to advertise the games, not on their website nor the hand-outs at the door. There was nothing on the website schedule, such as it was, for any of the board games, nor even the fact that board games would be available or demo'd. And, the hand-outs at the door? Well, they were non-existent, too. There were a few staff that had schedules that they would show people who asked about events, and Wings of Glory wasn't anywhere to be seen on it.

I did have a choice of locations, and I picked this:

Name:  M-Con_Set-up.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  118.5 KB

I had a few people come by to ask questions, and I showed them the mechanics, but not many takers. Shane [Skyguy001] and his step-son, Matt showed up, and with Nikolas, another local Comox WoG player, we did a two-on-two duel. Snoopy was flying the armored doghouse this time, taking only 6 damage in ten cards.

Very late in the afternoon, Nikolas convinced me to start playing Tripods & Triplanes, swapping out the Sopwith Camels for Triplanes, so it was Fokker Dr.1s and Sopwith Triplanes (with rockets) against one Mk I Tripod. We were joined for a few turns by two young lads, Loki Kinch and his friend Alex M.

Not much damage despite a perfectly lined up short ranged rocket hit on the unshielded side of the tripod that did '0' damage. However, there were a few shots into that unarmoured side, and I ended up with two engine hits.
    Name:  T-T_EndGame.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  160.3 KB

That imobilized the tripod, so it was pretty much the end of the game.

Throughout the day, when pointing out the display and the game(s), and mentioning that there would be more on Sunday, I got the, 'Oh! If I'd known that...' responses. I did get some enthusiasm from a few that wanted to join in on the Adler Tag scenario, so I should actually be able to give out a few of these:

Name:  M-CON2017_WGS_AceCards_Lw.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  245.5 KB

Name:  M-CON2017_WGS_AceCards_RAF.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  250.5 KB

We'll see how it goes tomorrow...
    Mike

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Sorry it seems the con organizers dropped the ball with schedules and promos, Mike - looks like you're making the best of a less-than-ideal situation

As always, your personalized cards are amazing. Hope your gaming today is more attended than yesterday's.

All the best,
    Matt

Maybe it was Sunday morning, or the lack of advertizing, but Sunday morning was a bust for gaming. And I just managed not to get edited out of the Treasure Hunt by co-incidence. The Treasure Hunt required convention goers to come to my booth for a stamp, so I got to explain the gamre to people who would not normally even stop by.

So. Nikolas and I did some rules discusions on our Tripods & Triplanes game we played Saturday, and then set up for Battle of Britain.

Sorry, but my cat just forced his way into my arms. I'll come back tomorrow and edit this with both hands...

Name:  BoB_01_Start.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  130.7 KB

Name:  BoB_02_mid-game.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  177.4 KB

Name:  BoB_03_EndGame.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  183.9 KB

Name:  BoB_03a_EndGame.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  167.6 KB

Name:  BoB_03b_EndGame.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  166.4 KB
    Mike

Sorry, but my cat just forced his way into my arms. I'll come back tomorrow and edit this with both hands...
    I have my arms back...

The table was set up with a kette of He.111s, and three rotte of Bf-109s on the Luftwaffe side, and two vics of Hurricanes, supported by two Spitfires on the RAF side. From the top, Kelsey with the hat was the host for this game, and ran the targets across the map. Clockwise: Jack Coffield in the plaid shirt, flying a rotte of Bf-109s to deadly effect; Clayton Finnigan in black, with another rotte; August W in red, flying another rotte; Rose Laidlaw in green, returning from last year, flying Hurricanes from No. 1 Sqn (RCAF). Not shown was Nikolas Langlands flying No. 46 Sqn Hurricanes, and Katie Bicknell, who came in a bit later to command the Spitfire vic. (Katie was a return from last year, and can be seen winning a WWI Duel Pack here: MosaiCon - Wings of Glory Appearance
    Name:  BoB_01_Start.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  130.7 KB
    Camo works. This is a shot of the first contact, with No. 1 Sqn Hurricanes taking a frontal assault on the bombers, with the Bf-109s coming in from both sides.
    Name:  BoB_02_mid-game.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  177.4 KB
    Almost the end, with the remaining bomber almost off the map. A few RAF planes are down, and the Bf-109s are barely scratched. However, by this point, the RAF has put over 75 points of damage on the bombers, enough to put down, at least, four Bf-109s.
    Name:  BoB_03_EndGame.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  183.9 KB
    The last bomber goes down under the continuous and combined fire power of the Hurricanes. Nikolas tailed the last bomber for three consecutive turns, pumping rounds into it. We were joking that the plane should have been forced to play stalls every second maneuver, it was accumulating so much lead. The noob host forgot to add in the following fire rule, so the extra 'A' chit damage was not added into anyone's shots, or this would have ended sooner and badly for both the bomber and Nikolas. This is a shot of the debri field, with all the downed planes strewn across the map.
    Name:  BoB_03a_EndGame.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  167.6 KB
    Another shot of the debri field.
    Name:  BoB_03b_EndGame.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  166.4 KB
    This was another successful game, and many thanks to Kelsey, and Nikolas, for running this game. It was the highlight of the weekend, as I suspected and intended. Too bad a spam filter prevented the Battle of Britain Starter Set from getting to Curious Comics in time to be available for a prize.

All in all, more exposure for Wings of Glory, so I am happy. I am gathering a team to do future appearances, so that is even better.

Again, lots of praise to Kelsey, Nikolas, and the M-Con team for making this a good outing!
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 09-18-2017 at 18:01.
    Mike

Oh!

There will be a Curious Comics Mega Board Game event in October at the Country Club Centre in Nanaimo, that might include that belated Starter Set. I will post anything that results from that event, too.

We also received an invite to host games at TsukinoCon in Victoria from their organizers (Link: TsukinoCon). That will depend on others, and I put a shout-out to the Victoria Forum Members to pick this up!
    Mike

Many thanks to you and your team, Mike, for all your efforts. You did your best but were let down by others.

That's a real shame Mike after all your efforts - better luck next time out.

"He is wise who watches"

Similar Missions

1. Queensland Wings of Glory WW1 & WW2 participation games at Briscon 28-30 April 2017
    By Carl_Brisgamer in forum Australian Wing
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 05-24-2017, 22:53
  2. California Wings of Glory Feb 11th 2017 Anaheim California
    By Legendmaker in forum US Wing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-06-2017, 23:10
  3. Ohio: Dayton Ohio Wings of Glory Schedule for Jan and Feb 2017
    By RickMartin in forum US Wing
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-27-2017, 11:32
  4. Doncaster Concours de Wings of Glory. 2017