Ares Games
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Blood Red Skies

The planes don’t look too bad, and at least another source for WGS. Presumably these are some sort of plastic rather than resin?
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    The planes don’t look too bad, and at least another source for WGS. Presumably these are some sort of plastic rather than resin?
    Yes - they're not too bad and paint up well, and yes theyre plastic

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    The carrier always does my head in. Apart from being beautiful models 1/200 is the wrong scale. I cannot work it out but if your Japanese dive bomber releases his bomb at 1500 feet or higher then the target ship xurely has to be smaller than 1/200. Anyone got any ideas on that?
    It's not intended for normal games m8 - it's a display piece to look good and attract punters. The rules team are looking at target marker options now for BRS. I'm shouting at them as loud as I can for double sided card templates with illustrations of intact on one side and damaged on the other - can't say if they will go that route but fingers crossed

Quote Originally Posted by PilGrim View Post
    It's not intended for normal games m8 - it's a display piece to look good and attract punters. The rules team are looking at target marker options now for BRS. I'm shouting at them as loud as I can for double sided card templates with illustrations of intact on one side and damaged on the other - can't say if they will go that route but fingers crossed
    Hmmm... Replaceable regular deck panels on the HMS Glorious with ones having smoking, Stuka-shaped or Bf.109-shaped holes. Great idea, Ken!
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Those planes look pretty good. As stated another source for 1/200 planes. I am spoiled by WoG as I find a fun simple game. I bought Angles 20 when it came out but like WoG much better. I watched the video of BRS and again for me WoG is the game. I guess it all depends on how involved you want the game to be.

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    Those planes look pretty good. As stated another source for 1/200 planes. I am spoiled by WoG as I find a fun simple game. I bought Angles 20 when it came out but like WoG much better. I watched the video of BRS and again for me WoG is the game. I guess it all depends on how involved you want the game to be.
    Miniatures
    They're clearly not as good as the official Wings of Glory miniatures for playing Wings of Glory, and as a sub for Wings of Glory I would suggest if you are in the US you should look at Dave Schmidt at Armaments in Miniature which tend to be imho finer detailed on the whole. On the other hand the BRS models are easily available , nicely detailed, cheap and very robust. They are also a joy to paint - those panel lines are brilliant (ok the wrong ones on the 109 but..) . I will do a full side by side comparison when I get some spare time.

Rules
    Again in my opinion the rules are rather better than WoG (sorry guys) at representing WW2 air combat. In fact the more I play the more impressed I am. However as this is a WoG site I'll refrain from saying more

Quote Originally Posted by PilGrim View Post
    Again in my opinion the rules are rather better than WoG (sorry guys) at representing WW2 air combat. In fact the more I play the more impressed I am. However as this is a WoG site I'll refrain from saying more
    I am really glad to hear that. I purchased it yesterday, but haven't opened it yet. I've red teh basic rules, which seem to be very elegant to me, and different from what i usually play.

Ken I have over 100 of his planes. My latest buy was the Ki 44's he just did. He is my source for the Corsair and many other planes. I had 2 SHAPEWAYS I-16's but like the AIM ones better. Also MISCMINI is the source for decals. He just expanded his line by adding French decals for the MS406.

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    Ken I have over 100 of his planes. My latest buy was the Ki 44's he just did. He is my source for the Corsair and many other planes. I had 2 SHAPEWAYS I-16's but like the AIM ones better. Also MISCMINI is the source for decals. He just expanded his line by adding French decals for the MS406.
    Yes I very much like AIM and have a dozen or so - and will be getting more. Kevin at MiscMinis has just done Molders JG53 for me as a request - pretty damned good service there!

Both Dave (AIM) and Kevin (MISCMINI) are great. Orders usually get out the next day. After they send out the order it is in the hands of the USPS so you never know how long could be. Kevin is about 50 miles from me so usually get his decals in a day or two.

Warlord announced summer releases to include: Bf110, FW190A, Hurricanes, and Mosquitoes. The rejoicing about the Mosquito's on their FB page was immense.

They needed 2 planes in the frame for the mould so agonised over what would go with the Hurricane and the 110 which were no brainers to coincide with the current UK and German planes and with the Battle of Britain thing - they have to be different frames as they're committed to the coloured plastic idea for the main releases. They chose the Mossie and FW180A. The suggestion is they will be following those with a P38 and a xxx for the US. I'm lobbying to get a Wildcat. They're also talking to Zvezda to re-box the Zvezda 1:200 JU88, Blenhiem, SB2 etc with new bases and cards to match the game.

Warlords main problem I think is they're struggling to fulfil demand for new models in a short timeframe - something I am 1000% certain they will manage better than Ares\Nexus (not a criticism btw - the prepaints must take an age to get into production)

I can see the Mosquitoes and Fw-190A's being very popular.

The Mosquito is one of only two ETO planes that are auto-buy for me so I am ecstatic with their choice. Keeping fingers crossed for a certain Italian plane...

Meanwhile the current stuff is selling and paints up ok

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180422_152414.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	169.0 KB 
ID:	245207

Name:	20180418_200205.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	179.2 KB 
ID:	245208

Note the "Phat Yak" syndrome - they're a bit "plump" but nice models to paint

More here https://twtrb.blogspot.co.uk/2018/04...red-skies.html
    Last edited by PilGrim; 04-23-2018 at 03:19.

I did a "fix the warped wings" on the BRS minis on "What's on your workbench for April 2018" in case your wings came looking like potato chips! I have decals from miscmini coming . . . paint is looking good! pondering a peg mod to allow crossovers to WoG . . .

Spitfires now done. The wing warping thing is still evident but does straighten

Name:	Spitfires.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	137.2 KB 
ID:	246036

The look really nice!

Thanks, they're actually easy to paint with those panel lines

The real difference is for wOg I tend to need 1 or 2 of anything, whereas for BRS I need at least 6

Still, theyre cheap enough, Hurricanes, Mosquitos, 119s and 190s released next

Seeing your painted versions makes the game look a whole lot more interesting - well done Ken, great work

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Hi Chris

Yes I was planning on doing 609 (West Riding) but the decals were out of stock so I ended up w 602 (City of Glasgae)

Those spits look great. I just finished my P-51s, including a custom job for George Preddy.

Name:	IMG_20180430_000319.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	110.2 KB 
ID:	246044

I am Really excited about the upcoming Mosquitos. Also, according to the the BRS rep on FB, they are planning to release the Macchi C.202. It is apparent that Warlord is going to provide the plastic aircraft I crave before Ares gets around be to it.

Those planes are looking very nice, almost makes me want to get some and try.

Great paint jobs chaps, they certainly look the part.

"He is wise who watches"

So where are we getting 1/200 scale decals for the Mustangs? Got mine primed and silver . . .

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    So where are we getting 1/200 scale decals for the Mustangs? Got mine primed and silver . . .
    https://shop.miscmini.com/t/usaaf-et...to-1200-decals

Kevin has been putting out a number of decals for the P-51 and his work is great.

Ken has is right, I am getting my decals from Miscellaneous Miniatures. I have a few sheets from previous ebay purchases but will probably stick with the ones from MM moving forward as they tear less often than the others and look better under magnification. Not that they will be seen in such high scrutinty when on the table, but they are when on the workbench.

Macrossmartin

Those Spitfires of yours encourage me to give them a chance when my starter set arrives, Ken. Nice!

I was seriously contemplating Ebay'ing all the aircraft, and replacing them with AIM resins... that, or upping the scale, and using my A&A Air Force 1/100th repaints.

Thanks for your blog posts and info about BRS - You can inform Warlord they won at least one sale on the back of your efforts!

Quote Originally Posted by Macrossmartin View Post
    Those Spitfires of yours encourage me to give them a chance when my starter set arrives, Ken. Nice!

I was seriously contemplating Ebay'ing all the aircraft, and replacing them with AIM resins... that, or upping the scale, and using my A&A Air Force 1/100th repaints.

Thanks for your blog posts and info about BRS - You can inform Warlord they won at least one sale on the back of your efforts!
    Thanks!

I'm keen to try and stay balanced - I'm not in Warlord's pocket (yet - I'm open to offers)

I think it depends. As a stand alone AIM are IMHO better models, however if you are planning on playing BRS the Warlord ones are easily good enough and do have some advantages. One noted point is they're VERY durable, so far I've not had a single report about models actually taking damage anywhere - and I did roll a chair complete with a 20 stone man over one of the Yaks and it straightened out in hot water. That may just be down to superior Soviet workmanship of course :-)

On the Blog - I'll have another post up about the Ace expansion for Malan and Galland in the next day or so

Edit - now up at https://twtrb.blogspot.co.uk/2018/05...adolfs-or.html
    Last edited by PilGrim; 05-11-2018 at 04:29.

Guys,
    do the Blood Red Skies planes arrive with decals or (which I suppose is true) without them?

They come with stickers, which are scaled too big. This is no biggie for people who want to slap some markings on an unpainted model but if I am putting the time into painting they are not good enough. I am currently using Miscellaneous Miniatures decals. Warlord indicated they will eventually offer decals also.

Thanks a lot, Scott!

https://www.facebook.com/WGbloodreds...type=3&theater

Warlord are catching up now . To be honest I think they are going to put some weight behind the game in ways were not really used to. Feeling in my water is P38 & P40 after the Hurri - Mossie and 110 /190

Yep! And I will bet they produce a certain gull winged PTO aircraft that I may have mentioned once or twice...

Frankly it wouldn't surprise me at all if it were in the next wave instead of the P40. They (the suits) seem to have some strange ideas about what to release next. The buzzword is "iconic".

Just posted my latest in my BRS saga, finished painting, decals, and details. Fun but disappointing, see the May workbench thread for the gory details. Suffice it to say I will be interested in the bombers but will hold back pending the scale discrepancy issues . . . sad day.

Name:	20180513_190010.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	121.4 KB 
ID:	246995

Up close they look like they are drowning in their decals . . . : (

Name:	20180513_172346.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	246996

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Ninja View Post
    I've already ranted my initial dislike of this game five times today, don't make me make it six lol.....
    If you look at the pre-orders the kits are as follows. Yak-1, Spitfire Mk.II, Bf-109E, and here is where it gets weird, A6M5 and P-51D.
    You have two planes that are out of place by four years. Also, despite the upgrades, I think we can agree the A6M5 isn't the best choice for late war Japanese aircraft.
    So you have three nations with 1940 planes, one nation with a late war design that isn't that good of a design, and one nation gets its premium late war air superiority fighter. I really don't know what the game designer was thinking but this is a horrible set up.
    The game play is more a chess game then an aerial combat. If that is your cup of tea then this is the game for you. I prefer Wings of Glory WWII.

Thomas

Where did you get your decals? I also noticed there is a difference in size between the Ares and Warlord version of 1/200. I will probably keep the BRS and WGS models and components separated anyway since they also play very different.

Miscimini (sp?) They were great . . .
    Last edited by clipper1801; 05-13-2018 at 20:55.

You guys have me really wanting to get a box or two for the planes. Considering I am into the Battle of Britain thing right now would love more Spits and Scmits. I truely hope they get a scale HE 111 out soon though. The rules thing is not looking appealing to me but the airframes are. Get me a half dozen of each on the table and use WOG rules to have a nice furball going.

Honestly, (having not checked prices) is this game source for planes cheaper than AIM?
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Six planes with game components including bases for $20 at Miniature Market. Even if you tossed out everything else in the box other than the airplanes the base stems would be useful for conversions. Ken has mentioned this in previous posts but I want to emphasize how easy the BRS plastic is to work with. Also, storage and transport of the birds is super efficient and easy because damaging them will take a real effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Honestly, (having not checked prices) is this game source for planes cheaper than AIM?
    Karl
    Yes - marginally so. Tokhuah has summed up the pros and cons pretty easily - they are easy to paint and seem very resilient. Hand on heart the detail is finer on AIM, at least on the models I have, and there are some issues with dimensions - Fat Yaks and the like. It really depends on why you are buying. If you are willing to give the game a try (I'd recommend it) then get a starter box set. It has 6 Spits and 6 109Es in there. If you just want a supply of cheap plastic 1:200 to use as stand ins for WoGWW2 it's a much closer call

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post
    The game play is more a chess game then an aerial combat. If that is your cup of tea then this is the game for you. I prefer Wings of Glory WWII.

Thomas
    I agree with Thomas. With Wings of Glory you feel like you are up there in the cockpit, with BRS it seems more like you are on the ground directing formations.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    I agree with Thomas. With Wings of Glory you feel like you are up there in the cockpit, with BRS it seems more like you are on the ground directing formations.
    We will have to agree to disagree. At no point would I say in Wings of Glory I felt like I was in a cockpit, and nor would I say BRS resembled chess. There certainly is a positional element to the game, but it is far more fluid and dynamic. There is an element of encouraging coordination in BRS that is wholly absent from WoG. The reason you can feel a bit like a tactical controller is the system allows and encourages a player to handle more planes because it is an intrinsically cleaner and more elegant system.

Each to their own of course

I have a set going for sale/trade, painted, decaled if anyone is interested, pm me.

WoG reminds me of watching a football replay in slow motion. It recaptures the moment perfectly but the planning aspect slows down the reel on a tactical and feel of flying level. BRS squadron formations makes it difficult to feel like you are in a single cockpit but it provides more of the heart thumping chaos of dogfighting where decisions have immediate consequences and tables can be turned at a moment's notice. For me the "feel" of aerial combat playing WoG is more visual/mental while BRS is more visceral.

Still not had a chance to play this, seen the aircraft and at first look they seemed to be the same as our Ares kit.
    At Hammerhead recently there was a big Pacific game demo which looked really good with lots ao aircraft, a big US carrier and jap torpedo planes with slung torps, looked reall6 impressive.
    However now it seems that the scale is not quite the same so a dit disapointing for some there. i was told at Hammerhead some BoB bombers may come out as specials early next yeAr but nothing concrete.
    I need to have a game of this to compare

Bang them on ebay Clipper - knowing the skill of your elves you should make more than enough to feed the minions for weeks

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Wings of War and Glory - Chapter 1: First Blood
    By Blackronin in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-23-2016, 08:16
  2. AAR: First blood over Rabia
    By PonchoLatour in forum WGS: After Action Reports
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-10-2013, 04:52
  3. Blood in the Air
    By PunkReaper in forum UK Wing