Ares Games

Thread: Touching up BoB models

Default Touching up BoB models

I have just ordered my set of BoB planes. I intend to touch up the aircraft.

In another thread, Mugwump said:

"For the brown, I used Vallejo's "Green Brown" 70.0879 but I found it to be a little too light and had to darken it a bit. It does darken a bit once it dries so it's pretty close but not exact.

For the green, I used Citadel's "Castellan Green" and it matched almost perfectly once dried."

Does anyone else have recommendations for paints that match as closely as possible the colors the RAF fighters come in? I also need a "Sky" color, as I intend to remove the bombs from the Hurris.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Vallejo don't do anything even close to "Sky"

I was forced to fall back on Tamiya "Sky" - not a bad match, but poorer quality paint.

When I get home from work I'll check up on the colours I used for my Hurricanes.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Are the Hurri's sky blue underneath ? Thought they'd be duck egg blue (which is kinda pale green)
    Humbrol 23 - Duck Egg Blue - Matt - Acrylic & Enamel might fit the bill. There's also Humbrol 65 - Aircraft Blue - Matt - Acrylic & Enamel which is bluer.

There are other directions to go depending on the date & the squadron... Get your research hat on !

"He is wise who watches"

Default Vallejo English Uniform

Quote Originally Posted by bsmith13 View Post
    I have just ordered my set of BoB planes. I intend to touch up the aircraft.

In another thread, Mugwump said:

"For the brown, I used Vallejo's "Green Brown" 70.0879 but I found it to be a little too light and had to darken it a bit. It does darken a bit once it dries so it's pretty close but not exact.

For the green, I used Citadel's "Castellan Green" and it matched almost perfectly once dried."

Does anyone else have recommendations for paints that match as closely as possible the colors the RAF fighters come in? I also need a "Sky" color, as I intend to remove the bombs from the Hurris.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    I found this a good match (Vallejo English Uniform) for the Wings of Glory Beaufighter brown when adding different recognition letter decals

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Vallejo don't do anything even close to "Sky"

I was forced to fall back on Tamiya "Sky" - not a bad match, but poorer quality paint.

When I get home from work I'll check up on the colours I used for my Hurricanes.

Underside -

Tamiya XF-21 "Sky"

Upper surfaces -

Vallejo 'Game Colour' 62 "Earth"
    Vallejo 'Model Colour' 095 "US Dark Green"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	303 Squadron (29).jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	227785

Name:	303 Squadron (31).jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	227786

Name:	303 Squadron (32).jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	227787

Name:	303 Squadron (5).jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	227788

Name:	303 Squadron (6).jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	227789

Name:	303 Squadron (14).jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	227790

These were all "van den Hove" Belgian Hurricanes before they got the Helmut treatment.

More pictures in my Album.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

I was able to find these paint colors online. Next question - has anyone tried to do the same touch-up on the gray-and-green Gladiator and the splinter-camouflage bf 110? If so, has anyone found a match to the colors on the models?

I know this is an old thread but the following may still be of use:
    Humbrol 90 provides a good approximation to 'sky' (it is after all the colour recommended by airfix kits of early war raf aircraft). It is slightly lighter than the finish on the WGS models but pretty close.

AK interactive paints do a box set AK2010 of RAF camo paints or you can get AK 2015 RAF Sky by itself.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Having just started to touch up my Mk1 spits and hurricanes I can confirm that Vallejo 'English Uniform' (Model Colour 70.921) Is a good match for the brown. I did find however that my hurricanes had slightly darker brown on the horizontal stabiliser so I completely painted of the decals on these areas.

Still to find an appropriate green. Tried 'Olive grey' which is supposedly equivalent to 'castellan green' but it doesn't look quite right.

Also hadn't spotted until I started painting that the left hand side of the Spit has an incorrect break in the green where it was probably hidden from view by the wing in whatever side view the artist used as a reference.

Stunning! Great job! I wish my hands didn’t shake so badly. They always have. ������

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Underside -

Tamiya XF-21 "Sky"

Upper surfaces -

Vallejo 'Game Colour' 62 "Earth"
    Vallejo 'Model Colour' 095 "US Dark Green"

Name:	303 Squadron (31).jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	227786

These were all "van den Hove" Belgian Hurricanes before they got the Helmut treatment.
    More pictures in my Album.
    “Flying is hours and hours of boredom sprinkled with a few seconds of sheer terror!” Gregory “Pappy” Boyington, USMC”

Only wish I had read this before I touched up all my BoB aircraft. Took ages to get the colour just right.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

speedycrab12

Super useful info, thanks all who have put in the legwork

Similar Missions

1. New F-Toy models?
    By Baxter in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-09-2014, 18:53
  2. WGSF New Models!
    By freebird-52 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 08-04-2013, 15:33
  3. What do yall think about touching up minis?
    By alpine in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-25-2013, 20:03
  4. Touching History
    By David Manley in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-08-2013, 14:03
  5. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-19-2012, 13:59