Ares Games
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If we had a WIKI...

Quote Originally Posted by ReducedAirFact View Post
    Thanks for the updates Dave and Robert. I'll be happy to make those corrections when I get a chance!

I will mention, however, that the Wings of Linen WIKI is open for editing by anyone. (At least, anyone making constructive additions.) I have always hoped that over time it would grow into more of a community effort, sort of like a hyper-focused version of Wikipedia. Creating an account is simple, and I think you can even edit anonymously if you prefer. While some of the constructs for tables and charts are a bit arcane, editing of already-existing text is straightforward. I'm not trying to push the edits off on you, I'm just pointing out that the option is there if you want to try it.

The only hard restriction we have is to avoid the use of any copyrighted works (at least, unless we have the permission of the owner). I would love to have example paint jobs for each plane like the ones by Bob Pearson, but the copyright line is one that we cannot cross.
    Hi Guy's by chance searching for colour schemes for Rumpler CIV and Sopwith Pups I came across a great site with information organised in a very clear manner and it has this notice on it.

Miraheze Staff has noticed that this wiki has no edits or logs made within the last 45 days. If you would like to prevent this wiki from being closed, please start showing signs of activity here. If there are no signs of this wiki being used within the next 15 days, this wiki may be closed per the Dormancy Policy. This wiki will then be eligible for adoption by another user. If not adopted and still inactive 135 days from now, this wiki will become eligible for deletion. Please be sure to familiarize yourself with Miraheze's Dormancy Policy. If there is activity on this wiki you can go to Special:ManageWiki and uncheck "inactive" yourself. If you have any other questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to Stewards' noticeboard

I came back here to flag this up and while trying to decide the best place to create my thread I came across this thread that relates to the Wings of Linen Wiki that apparently will be closed if we don't do something. I didn't know this thread existed either, I am new to WofW and still finding my way around but it seems like Daryl has gone to a huge amount of trouble to create this and I just thought maybe it should be supported, I don't know what you think.
    I've only looked at the 2 planes I mentioned but there are loads of Guntruck's cards for them and I assume the same applies to other planes.

Reading the comments above, these cards are maybe on the Aerodrome site but when I searched I only came up with 1 Rumpler card also by Guntruck. The rest are probably on here and now I know that Guntruck is making them I can search his files but they are not apparent otherwise.
    Anyway just wanted to give you the heads up on this and you may already know so accept my apologies if that's the case.
    Cheers

Didn't Andre have a wiki too?

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Anyway just wanted to give you the heads up on this and you may already know so accept my apologies if that's the case.
    Cheers
    Thanks for the heads-up. Usually I've got frequent-enough updates that this never comes up, but I've been busy with some other things lately. After an update, the header-thread disappeared.

I think Miraheze has a mode for "informational wikis" where you would expect less frequent updates -- I will have to contact them about that.

I posted an Albatros J.1 on the site when I saw the warning, but the warning didn't go away. Perhaps there is a threshold of log-ins and posts? Or is it looking specifically for edits?
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    I posted an Albatros J.1 on the site when I saw the warning, but the warning didn't go away. Perhaps there is a threshold of log-ins and posts? Or is it looking specifically for edits?
    I suspect they run the active/inactive checks every day or every few days rather than evaluating it on-the-fly, so there is a delay between new content appearing and the removal of the warning.

Edit: I've applied for it to be a "informational" WIKI site, which means they would not be looking for it to be frequently updated.
    Last edited by ReducedAirFact; 06-19-2018 at 11:45.

I have little-to-no experience with Wikis.

Is any member allowed to edit items?

In my research of DH2 pushers for my 24 Squadron project, I discovered a mistake on a Plane Card I had "corrected" in my Card Album.
    When I visited Daryl's excellent Wiki site, I found that his DH2 entry links to my Card Album (no worries for the most part, but this erroneous card is included in the link).
    If I alter the card in my Album, will this appear "corrected" on the Wiki link?
    Or does someone need to edit the Wiki entry?
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    I have little-to-no experience with Wikis.

Is any member allowed to edit items?

In my research of DH2 pushers for my 24 Squadron project, I discovered a mistake on a Plane Card I had "corrected" in my Card Album.
    When I visited Daryl's excellent Wiki site, I found that his DH2 entry links to my Card Album (no worries for the most part, but this erroneous card is included in the link).
    If I alter the card in my Album, will this appear "corrected" on the Wiki link?
    Or does someone need to edit the Wiki entry?
    Hi Tim,
    Actually anyone is allowed to edit the WIKI, even anonymously. Though I'd certainly prefer if folks would create an account over there before making edits...then I know where the changes are coming from and I'm less likely to question them.
    On the DH2 question...if the URL to that card doesn't change, then the update will happen without any changes to the WIKI. However, I suspect it is the case that uploading a corrected card will result in a new URL, e.g. http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/alb...hmentid=224737 will turn into http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/alb...mentid=3333333 or something like that. That's a pretty easy change to make on the WIKI, but if you're not comfortable with doing so, just point me to the new card[s].

Daryl, great site, been visiting it for the past week!

I give it 5 stars.

Many compliment Daryl. Great work!

We are preparing a campaign about "Piave offensive" and certainly we 'll use your data base to build planes.

We have made some new cards and we'll prepare some other.

Is it possible to upload these on your data base? We could send these files to you?

Nobody have thought to do the same thing for WWII

Bye
    Carlo

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Charly View Post
    Many compliment Daryl. Great work!

We are preparing a campaign about "Piave offensive" and certainly we 'll use your data base to build planes.

We have made some new cards and we'll prepare some other.

Is it possible to upload these on your data base? We could send these files to you?

Nobody have thought to do the same thing for WWII

Bye
    Carlo
    Hi Carlo, thanks! Certainly you can upload and edit the pages yourself, though it takes a little WIKI magic to get things just right. I'm also happy to make the changes for you if you've got new cards -- just point me to them. If they're public domain, they can go directly on the wiki -- if they're not -- but hosted elsewhere on the web -- I can add a pointer to them.

It's a question of organization... today you have to find the unofficial stats excel sheet under files, plane cards under about five different Albums, Series listings in one of several threads, sources for Shapeways miniatures in another excel sheet, flying tips in a forum thread somewhere, etc.
    This!

I spent several hours over the last two days trying to locate the card albums (with limited success) and then digging out the latest copy of the unofficial stats spreadsheet. As flash says, there is loads of great data on the aerodrome, the challenge is effectively organizing it for easy retrieval. In the end, I found that Google queries gave me the best - but still imperfect - results. I don't dispute that it's a lot of work to develop and migrate the data. But I do see it as an adjunct to the forum and not a replacement.

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by The G Dog View Post
    This!

I spent several hours over the last two days trying to locate the card albums (with limited success) and then digging out the latest copy of the unofficial stats spreadsheet. As flash says, there is loads of great data on the aerodrome, the challenge is effectively organizing it for easy retrieval. In the end, I found that Google queries gave me the best - but still imperfect - results. I don't dispute that it's a lot of work to develop and migrate the data. But I do see it as an adjunct to the forum and not a replacement.

Ray
    And I am one of the guilty party to this mess. It's so bad, I can't even find cards I made, because they're only in the 'Official Painting' or 'Who's Got Stats For "X" Plane' threads.

SO, why is a wiki better, if I don't post my cards there? I think one if the reasons I don't post cards in the Files section is a moderation process that doesn't allow me to update things on my own. It is also that I don't always get the info right, or that the stats are a bit off, depending on when the card is produced. And I'm lazy, to boot.

What would work best?

PS: Just went back to the Wiki, and had to try and remember my log-in stuff, it was so long ago. Another learning curve, albeit small. My user account doesn't allow an album that I can link internally to the individual pages?
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 12-08-2018 at 08:18.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    And I am one of the guilty party to this mess. It's so bad, I can't even find cards I made, because they're only in the 'Official Painting' or 'Who's Got Stats For "X" Plane' threads.

SO, why is a wiki better, if I don't post my cards there? I think one if the reasons I don't post cards in the Files section is a moderation process that doesn't allow me to update things on my own. It is also that I don't always get the info right, or that the stats are a bit off, depending on when the card is produced. And I'm lazy, to boot.

What would work best?

PS: Just went back to the Wiki, and had to try and remember my log-in stuff, it was so long ago. Another learning curve, albeit small. My user account doesn't allow an album that I can link internally to the individual pages?
    Mike, if you're missing any permissions on the WIKI, just let me know and I'll set it up, if possible. I would guess we're using 25% of what it's capable of. It uses the same software as wikipedia.

I've got all the unofficial stats there, plus cards or links to cards for all the ones I could find at the time.

Probably the hardest obstacle to work around is that we (authors) must be the copyright holder of everything posted there, or it must be in the public domain. But we can add external links to materials in any case.

Great work !
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by comPVter View Post
    Great work ! thanks
    I'm glad you're enjoying it. I still have a small pile of books to look through for more information, but it's been a lot of fun to work on.

I don't know if anyone has missed it, but the front page has scale model links with lists of all planes with models in various scales: 1:144, 1:200, 1:285-288, 1:300, 1:350, 1:600, 1:700, from one source or another.

Remarkably, as of this writing there are 275 different plane types with 1:144 models; 35 in 1:200; 206 in 1:285-288; 62 in 1:300; 76 in 1:350; 27 in 1:600; and 11 in 1:700. The 275 sum for 1:144 just counts plane types, not models or options, so the Nieuport 17 only counts once even if there are about 20 different options if you want to purchase a model.

I don't know if anyone has missed it, but the front page has scale model links with lists of all planes with models in various scales: 1:144, 1:200, 1:285-288, 1:300, 1:350, 1:600, 1:700, from one source or another.

Remarkably, as of this writing there are 275 different plane types with 1:144 models; 35 in 1:200; 206 in 1:285-288; 62 in 1:300; 76 in 1:350; 27 in 1:600; and 11 in 1:700. The 275 sum for 1:144 just counts plane types, not models or options, so the Nieuport 17 only counts once even if there are about 20 different options if you want to purchase a model.
    I've not been there for a while but this is a great way to hold info on planes, well done thanks

The Wings of Linen wiki seems to be down.
    So how many books are in your personal library?

Quote Originally Posted by RJG173 View Post
    The Wings of Linen wiki seems to be down.
    Miraheze.org was doing some maintenance: "Miraheze will be doing server maintenance from 19:00 UTC (Friday 14th 2020) to 02:00 UTC (Saturday 15th 2020)". Seems to be back now, though I'm going to hold off on making any changes for a day.

I just tried to create an account and got booted off with an "Backend" error message. I guess their maintenance is not complete.

Question, Daryl, for the bibliography section of an airplane, can I add resources that are not currently listed like Windsock Datafiles? I wasn't sure if you only listed items there were used to create the description for the airplane.
    So how many books are in your personal library?

Quote Originally Posted by RJG173 View Post
    I just tried to create an account and got booted off with an "Backend" error message. I guess their maintenance is not complete.

Question, Daryl, for the bibliography section of an airplane, can I add resources that are not currently listed like Windsock Datafiles? I wasn't sure if you only listed items there were used to create the description for the airplane.
    Yeah, there's a note on there now about the migration being harder than they guessed. I'd wait a while for things to settle down. As for new accounts, I put in a policy that says an account has to be at least one day old before it can make edits, to help discourage drive-by spammers. Once the site is back to 100%, let me know if you hit any snags with that.

Feel free to add especially good references. A lot of repeated books use a macro to insert their reference (so I don't have to repeat it over and over), but books on individual planes are directly listed and you can copy-and-paste their format. I typically only list a reference once I've referred to it somewhere in the main text (as a footnote, 99% of the time), but there's no hard rule on that. I do like most authoritative statements in the main text to be referenced because you frequently find disagreement about facts in different books, and a footnote lets a statement be tracked back to its origin.

Far too technical for me, however, anything which can promote a system beyond the forum is never a bad thing. People are less likely to stumble across the forum.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Missions

1. Wiki of Glory - want to join?
    By Angiolillo in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 01-24-2018, 23:49