Ares Games

Thread: Wings of Glory WW2 El Alamein Campaign in Melbourne

Default Wings of Glory WW2 El Alamein Campaign in Melbourne

After the Battle of Britain tournament we did in September it was suggested we could do a monthly meet up/campaign thingy. So we will begin the campaign below starting on Saturday 3rd of November at Kayjays Games and Hobby Cafe in Footscray.

Wings of Glory WW2 El Alamein Campaign

Players choose at the start of the campaign to play as Allied or Axis. Players create six named pilots. These six are experienced pilots and may be upgraded with Ace Abilities. Any experienced pilots which are KIA may be replaced but replacements begin as Rookie pilots. Any number of Rookie pilots may be enlisted.

During the campaign players will score Victory Points. Victory Points may be spent on Pilot Ace Abilities which are permanently allocated to a specific pilot.

Allied players may choose any of the following Fighters or Bombers:
    Hawker Hurricane
    Spitfire
    Curtis P40
    Bristol Beaufighter
    B25 Mitchell

Axis players may choose any of the following Fighters or Bombers:
    Messerschmitt Bf109E
    Fiat CR42
    Reggianne RE2001
    Messerschmitt Bf110
    Junkers JU87 Stuka

Players choose/roll for a scenario and roll for attacker/defender. Scenarios:

1 Port.
    Defender - 400 points plus AA gun. Attacker - 600 points. Set up: defender places a red dot card to represent his Port. The Port may be placed anywhere on his rear edge, at least half a range ruler from the rear edge and one range ruler from sides. Defenders planes are up patrolling and are deployed using random deployment. Attacker deploys anywhere on his base edge.
    Scoring: destroyed aircraft = 3 Victory Points, partially destroyed port = 3 VP, fully destroyed port = 7 VP.

2 Airfield
    Defender - 400 points in the air, 200 points on the ground. Attacker - 600 points. Set up: defender places his airfield anywhere on his rear edge, at least half a range ruler from the rear edge and one range ruler from sides. Defenders planes are up patrolling (400 points) and are deployed using random deployment with remaining planes (200 points) on the airfield. From turn 2 the Defender rolls a die for each plane on the ground. On a 5+ a plane begins to taxi down the runway. When the plane passes the end of the runway it lifts off, gaining one altitude peg per turn. Attacker deploys anywhere on his base edge.
    Scoring: destroyed aircraft = 3 Victory Points, partially destroyed airfield = 3 VP, fully destroyed airfield = 7 VP.

3 Air superiority
    This is a 400 point dogfight to clear the skies of enemy aircraft. Set up: players deploy anywhere on their base edge.
    Scoring: destroyed aircraft = 3 Victory Points

4 Sea Convoy
    Defender - 400 points plus AA gun. Attacker - 600 points. Set up: played longways on mat. Defender places an objective card/convoy card on the centre of his edge and deploys planes anywhere on his edge. Defender's AA gun moves with the sea convoy. Attacker deploys using random deployment.
    Scoring: destroyed aircraft = 3 Victory Points, partially destroyed convoy = 3 VP, fully destroyed convoy = 7 VP.

5 Airlift - this scenario still requires some tweaking!
    Defender - 400 points ??? plus tail gunner per transport plane ??? Attacker - 400-600 points ??? Set up: played longways on mat. Defender places transport plane cards/convoy card on the centre of his edge and deploys planes anywhere on his edge.
    Scoring: destroyed aircraft = 3 Victory Points, partially destroyed airlift= 3 VP, fully destroyed airlift = 7 VP.

6 Breakthrough
    Defender - 400 points plus AA gun. Attacker - 600 points. Set up: Attacker places a red dot card to represent a ground target that will be the point of break through. The target may be placed anywhere on the Defenders rear edge, at least half a range ruler from the rear edge and one range ruler from sides. Defenders planes are up patrolling and are deployed using random deployment. Attacker deploys anywhere on his base edge.
    Scoring: destroyed aircraft = 3 Victory Points, partially destroyed target = 3 VP, fully destroyed target = 7 VP.

Thumbs up

Sounds great Mick!
    Hope you get a good number of players forthe Campaign.

Great initiative Mick, I look forward to seeing the action reports. When are you starting the campaign?

Thanks. Carl, we are starting 3 November. Hoping to do the first Sat of each month.

I hope that you all have a great time. I am looking forward to see the after action reports.

Default Game 1 of the El Alamein campaign. Scenario was Air Superiority, a 400 point dogfight

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  176.4 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  162.9 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  160.7 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  177.3 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  187.1 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  175.9 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  183.6 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  157.5 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  165.0 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  167.0 KB
    Game 1 pitted Tom flying for the RAF against Tristan's Luftwaffe, with support by Regia Aeronautica. The first engagement seemed to go well for the Luftwaffe and resulted in a smoking Hurricane. A tighter formation and very accurate firing turned the game around in the second pass after Immelmans. The RAFs accurate fire took down the first casualty, a B.f109. The lagging support, a Fiat CR42 was the next plane to draw attention and the deadly accurate RAF shooting claimed a second victim soon after. The remaining Bf109 disengaged, hoping to set up a favourable pass. It was to no avail, the RAF pursued relentlessly to destroy the entire Luftwaffe squadron. All of Toms planes took damage but all returned home.

Well done Mick, looks pretty even on the face of it but the Brylcream boys got the upper hand by the sounds of it.

"He is wise who watches"

Default Game 2 of the El Alamein campaign. Scenario was Air Superiority again.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  174.8 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  187.4 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  167.6 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  177.0 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  168.2 KB
    Game 2 of the El Alamein campaign saw Toms victorious RAF facing down my Regia Aeronautica squadron supported by a Bf110. The first engagement saw the RAFs deadly fire continue, taking out a CR42. After Immelmans the Italians hit back and shot down a Gladiator. In the third pass the second CR42 fell to the machine guns of the British. Now a lone rookie Bf110 pilot disengaged, hoping to separate the RAF Spitfire/Hurricane formation. It was not to be however and Toms squadron tasted victory again.

Looking at my photos I noticed that somehow the sequence has been mixed up. The photos have not loaded the way I posted them!!!

Many of the blokes in our campaign are new to WoG (myself included) hence the hitch potch of aircraft. As the campaign progresses our squadrons should become more homogenous.

Looks like you had a lot of fun there Mick. Thanks for sharing

Saw this on Trev's Facebook page - looks really good.

I might have to get me that Flames of War mat down the road a bit.

Great action there, Mick! Gives me something to aim for when I give North Africa a go.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Saw this on Trev's Facebook page - looks really good.

I might have to get me that Flames of War mat down the road a bit.
    If that is the 6 x 4 feet neoprene double-sided mat by Gale Force Nine, then I agree! I was down at "Entoyment" yesterday, and got to examine one up close; it was being used for a Wild West town layout for "Dead Man's Hand", and really looked the part, but when I discovered it was double-sided, with grassland on the reverse......
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    If that is the 6 x 4 feet neoprene double-sided mat by Gale Force Nine, then I agree! ... but when I discovered it was double-sided, with grassland on the reverse......
    That's the one. I am a ways off from playing Desert scenarios (hardly touched my WGS collection yet) but that looks to be perfect for me.
    I suppose I could use it for Palestine scenarios in WGF come to think of it

I'd use it for North Africa WGS, and for 1/285 Western Desert Micro Armour, and Wild West "Dead Man's Hand", and 15mm Sudan, and 15mm Near East ancients....................
    Yeah, better get one!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Thumbs up

Well done to the RAF in those two games.
    Will look forward to more AAR's!

Default Replacements for the Regia Aeronautica

Name:  14165592-E61E-4495-B461-8A8FFC9F169C.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  189.0 KB

After taking losses in my first game of the campaign, I ordered some replacement aircraft from AIM. Three new Fiat G50’s to join my CR42’s. We applied a points cost of 110 points each for the G50’s.

Similar Missions

1. National: Wings of Glory a Napoli - Wings of Glory in Neaples
    By Angiolillo in forum Italian Wing
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-06-2016, 02:02
  2. Wings of Glory: Dawn of the fighters Campaign Status
    By WWIflyingace in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-04-2014, 17:13
  3. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 01-20-2014, 03:24
  4. WGSC: Alamein