Ares Games

Thread: USS Lexington - Corpus Christi, Texas

Default USS Lexington - Corpus Christi, Texas

I had the honor to tour the USS Lexington aircraft carrier in Corpus Christi, Texas in June 2017.

A small sampling of the many pictures I took are included below for your review. The first eight pictures are of the ship. The last for are from a large scale model plane collection also on the ship. Enjoy!

https://www.usslexington.com/

From the USS Lexington website:

Commissioned in 1943, she set more records than any other Essex Class carrier in the history of naval aviation. The ship was the oldest working carrier in the United States Navy when decommissioned in 1991. An Essex-class carrier, LEXINGTON was originally named the USS CABOT. During World War II, final construction was being completed at Massachusetts’ Fore River Shipyard when word was received that the original carrier named USS LEXINGTON, CV-2, had been sunk in the Coral Sea. The new carrier’s name was changed to LEXINGTON.

After training maneuvers and a shakedown cruise, LEXINGTON joined the Fifth Fleet at Pearl Harbor. The Fifth Fleet was established April 26, 1944, at this time it was Central Pacific Force. During World War II, the carrier participated in nearly every major operation in the Pacific Theater and spent a total of 21 months in combat. Her planes destroyed 372 enemy aircraft in the air, and 475 more on the ground. She sank or destroyed 300,000 tons of enemy cargo and damaged an additional 600,000 tons. The ship’s guns shot down 15 planes and assisted in downing five more.

The Japanese reported LEXINGTON sunk no less than four times! Yet, each time she returned to fight again, leading the propagandist Tokyo Rose to nickname her “The Blue Ghost.” The name is a tribute to the ship and the crew and air groups that served aboard her.

After the war, LEXINGTON was briefly decommissioned (1947-1955). When reactivated, she operated primarily with the Seventh Fleet out of San Diego, California. Although not involved in actual combat, LEXINGTON kept an offshore vigil during tensions in Formosa, Laos, and Cuba.

In 1962, she sailed into Pensacola, Florida, and began training operations, eventually being officially designated CVT-16, Navy Training Carrier. Corpus Christi is privileged to be selected as the permanent home to this national treasure

1 - USS Lexington

2 - Tarawa to Tokyo

3 - Report Card

4 - Douglas SBD 3 Dauntless Info

5 - Douglas SBD 3 Dauntless

6 - .50 Cal Machine Gun

7 - TBF-TBM Avenger Info

8 - TBF-TBM Avenger

9 - Lockheed F-5B Lightning

10 - Bristol Beaufighter

11 - B-25J Mitchell

12 -Heinkel He-111

I remember going on that many years ago. Well worth the visit. Did you go on the Nina, Pinta and Santa Maria replica's too if they are still there? Thanks for the pictures.

Nice pictures, thanks for posting them.

I remember the USS Lexington starring in the movie "Battle of Midway", playing all three US carriers.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

I only knew the USS Lexington was there due to a billboard as we were driving by to stay at a vacation rental property along the Texas Gulf Coast. My wife encouraged me to go one afternoon during our vacation! The Nina, Pinta and Santa Maria replicas appear to move around and it doesn't look like they are they, as far as I could tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    I remember going on that many years ago. Well worth the visit. Did you go on the Nina, Pinta and Santa Maria replica's too if they are still there? Thanks for the pictures.

Interesting fact about the USS Lexington in the Battle of Midway movie! I actually saw the USS Midway in San Diego, California a few years ago and pictures of that ship are in my albums also.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Nice pictures, thanks for posting them.

I remember the USS Lexington starring in the movie "Battle of Midway", playing all three US carriers.

Interesting tour, Michael. Thanks for the pics.

It must be a real thrill visiting such a historic vessel.

Just saw this and great pictures. It is always good to go to these sites and see what they have. I missed going on the Intrepid when I was in NY for a cruise. It was docked next to the cruise dock and I didn't know that.

Great photos Mike, thanks for sharing. Have to put this on my travel list!

Nice Pictures.

If I'll be some day in Texas I try to visit this one.

I remember well my trip to the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum in NY.
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Just saw this and great pictures. Went on a cruise that left out of NYC years ago but didn't know that the Intrepid was that close to our ship. If I knew I would have went to it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCP_2663.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	153.1 KB 
ID:	231593

This is where we left from. That close but I didn't know it. My loss

Nice pics Mike. I doubt I will ever be able to visit in person, much as I would like to.

Similar Missions

1. Texas Air Show
    By BobP in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-02-2014, 11:03
  2. Texas Hello from Texas
    By Huntron in forum US Wing
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-28-2013, 18:21
  3. Vintage B-24H Lexington, Kentucky
    By zmaxthrottle in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 14