Ares Games

Thread: Wings of Glory WWI / Series VII

Default Wings of Glory WWI / Series VII

Hi everyone,

I have been gone for a long time. My interests seem to wax and wane. Last time I was active I had purchased Series VI. What is new and exciting? Did Series VII ever launch or is Ares still just going through reprints?

Cheers,
    Michael

Well, we passed series 9 and have just received the reprint of series 3.... Check here to see what you've missed !

"He is wise who watches"

Thanks Dave. I knew there was a detailed list complete with pictures on here somewhere. I couldn't seem to find what i was looking for on the Ares site.

I would assume the 2a/3a are the reprints from the original series.

Now, where to find these for a decent price in Canada...

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by celticgriffon View Post
    Thanks Dave. I knew there was a detailed list complete with pictures on here somewhere. I couldn't seem to find what i was looking for on the Ares site.

I would assume the 2a/3a are the reprints from the original series.

Now, where to find these for a decent price in Canada...

Michael
    My recommendation? Try Cool Stuff Inc. or Miniature Market. They're both on-line and reasonably priced...with free shipping over $100.00. I got my order immediately after the products were received on this side of "the pond"...two days! You already know about the Aerodrome...

Mike

Good luck!!

Imperial Hobbies (Vancouver) is listing the latest planes on it's site: www.imperialhobbies.ca (Not always accurate, but try)

Meeplemart (Toronto) is showing the planes, but 'TBA' for price. http://www.meeplemart.com/ (Not sure what is up with this)

My local gaming store can't seem to get the latest release from the distributor, despite a pre-order request. Not a surprise, as it took 2 months after the release date for them to deliver my pre-ordered Battle of Britain Starter Set. Getting Wings of Glory product in Canada seems to be like pulling wisdom teeth.

Aerodrome Accessories is great for small batch shipping, except for the exchange rates and that Canadian Border Services is slapping duties and handling fees on everything these days, despite NAFTA.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

I tried an order with CoolStuff - 10 planes from Series 9. Order came to 123 USD. Then they wanted $40.00 USD shipping. My lord... forget that. By the time I pay customs and duties (which always seem to get charged these days) it just isn't worth it. MeepleMart wants 20 CDN / plane... umm no thank you.. gouge much??

Michael

I tried an order with CoolStuff - 10 planes from Series 9. Order came to 123 USD. Then they wanted $40.00 USD shipping. My lord... forget that. By the time I pay customs and duties (which always seem to get charged these days) it just isn't worth it. MeepleMart wants 20 CDN / plane... umm no thank you.. gouge much??

Michael
    Wow! So sorry to hear that, Michael. It must be their free shipping is limited to the continental U.S. I presume the same will apply to Miniature Market.

I experienced a similar situation a few months back when trying to order a Fokker D.VII from Australia ... the shipping cost was more than twice the price of the model! Needless to say, I did NOT make the purchase.

Bummer!

Quote Originally Posted by BellMW54 View Post
    Wow! So sorry to hear that, Michael. It must be their free shipping is limited to the continental U.S. I presume the same will apply to Miniature Market.

I experienced a similar situation a few months back when trying to order a Fokker D.VII from Australia ... the shipping cost was more than twice the price of the model! Needless to say, I did NOT make the purchase.

Bummer!

Did you ever get your D.VII?
    If not, I might be able to help.....................
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Did you ever get your D.VII?
    If not, I might be able to help.....................
    No, I didn't. I was trying for a Goering D.VII to repaint, but figure I can hold off for a potential future reprint. I've got plenty of '18 planes to fill out any number of scenarios.

But, if you have any spare E.III's or DH.2's sitting around gathering dust ......

Michael
    I just order most of them from Noble Knight in the US now.

I got most of my collection from Meeplemart and 401Games, but neither of those stores seem interested in stocking WoG. Meeplemart moved their WoG stuff to a godforsaken back corner where nobody can find it, and 401 hasn't gotten any new stock in ages. A couple of other places in Canada I've looked either charged stupid amounts for shipping ($40 to send a single WoG plane across Canada? F-- off) or the minis are stupid expensive. I think our FLGS here are trying to kill the entire "Glory" line of everything and go with the Attack Wing-like games. I've tried to find Sales of Glory for forever and even Star Wars Armada stuff is getting a little harder to find.

Unfortunately we just end up paying more for this crap if we want it. Sucks, but there it is.

For my other hobby (model railroad), I ended up ordering all my track from the US and getting it shipped because even with customs it was cheaper than splitting the order into the 3 retailers across Canada.

They say support your local stores.. but I'm sorry.. if they wouldn't try to screw me on costs at every single step I might shop there more.
    Last edited by kalnaren; 08-07-2017 at 06:16.

Michael
    Michael,
    Yeah. Exchange rates and fees crossing the border, and the 'brick & mortar' mark-up all conspire to drive the price of minis through the roof in Canada. It appears that using the US warehouse to bring the minis into North America isn't helping our situation at all.

And, perhaps (IMHO), that is one of the dissatisfiers for Canadian customers of the game. Looking on-line and seeing planes available for $10 USD, then seeing planes in stores for $20 CDN is pretty harsh. It is very hard for me, on a pension, to talk the Financial Advisor into letting me buy a complete release of any series. BTW: Regular price of $14 USD comes out at $18-ish CDN with current exchange rates. Not that different. It is the on-line sale prices that really make the difference. There is a store in Calgary that really hits it's customers with the exchange rate difference, making their minis very painful to buy.

That being said, with the Aerodrome Accessories deals, and their shipping prices, the fees and exchange rates might be worth the attempt. I would be using them, but there is a FLGS I am trying to support (and their prices, after mark-up are $22+ each). The big, heavy items, like gaming mats, are just too expensive to ship on their own. No way to get around that, unless you have a local person off-loading them. Nothing for me in that realm, on Vancouver Island. FYI: I think I have the largest collection out here (as far as I have seen at any of the conventions I have attended).
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Similar Missions

1. WGS: Wings of Glory WWII Series 5?
    By jbmacek in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 153
    Last Post: 11-04-2013, 12:46
  2. Wings of Glory next Series after Series 6
    By Kaiser in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 03-25-2013, 14:49
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-01-2013, 21:25
  4. Wings of Glory Series II (IV) - Planes - the poll
    By Marechallannes in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 06-07-2012, 06:33
  5. Wings of Glory Series II (IV) - Planes?
    By Marechallannes in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 03-20-2012, 00:49