Ares Games

Thread: St Andrew's Day.

Default St Andrew's Day.

To all members of my Scottish Squadron, and any other Scots out there scattered around the war zone A happy St. Andrew's Day to you all. A dram in the mess for you all tonight.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

A happy St. Andrew's Day to all Scots wingmen from Italy.

What are the traditions associated with this day?

Attilio

I am unfortunately not Scottish, nor can I find any Scots in my family tree.
    I wish I could!

However I do think that Sir Sean Connery is the absolute bomb! Does that count for anything? Oh and I have tossed a caber... once... a long time ago... and not very far...

Happy St. Andrews Day!

Oh and if any of the traditions involve alcohol, please let us know and I will be sure to comply!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Smile

Thanks, on behalf of the Scottish contingent.

Some info:

St. Andrew is believed to have died on a diagonally transversed cross, which the Romans sometimes used for executions. The cross St. Andrew was crucified on has been adopted as the national flag of Scotland, later incorporated into the Union Flag. The blue stands for the sky.

St. Andrew's Day marks the opening of Christmas Markets. Many Midwinter customs and folk superstitions are also connected to St. Andrew's day.

Around midnight on Nov. 29, the day before St Andrew's Day, it was traditional for girls to pray to St. Andrew for a husband. They would make a wish and look for a sign that they had been heard. A girl wishing to marry could throw a shoe at a door. If the toe of the shoe pointed in the direction of the exit, then she would marry and leave her parents' house within a year. Also, she would peel a whole apple without breaking the peel and throw the peel over the shoulder. If the peel formed a letter of the alphabet, then this suggested the name of her future groom.

St Andrew's Day is often a celebration of general Scottishness with traditional food, music (especially bagpipes) and dancing (and a few gallons of bevvy)

Quote Originally Posted by IRM View Post

Some info:

St. Andrew is believed to have died on a diagonally transversed cross, which the Romans sometimes used for executions. The cross St. Andrew was crucified on has been adopted as the national flag of Scotland, later incorporated into the Union Flag. The blue stands for the sky.

St. Andrew's Day marks the opening of Christmas Markets. Many Midwinter customs and folk superstitions are also connected to St. Andrew's day.

Around midnight on Nov. 29, the day before St Andrew's Day, it was traditional for girls to pray to St. Andrew for a husband. They would make a wish and look for a sign that they had been heard. A girl wishing to marry could throw a shoe at a door. If the toe of the shoe pointed in the direction of the exit, then she would marry and leave her parents' house within a year. Also, she would peel a whole apple without breaking the peel and throw the peel over the shoulder. If the peel formed a letter of the alphabet, then this suggested the name of her future groom.

St Andrew's Day is often a celebration of general Scottishness with traditional food, music (especially bagpipes) and dancing (and a few gallons of bevvy)
    Thanks Iain for info about St. Andrew and traditions.

Attilio

Some info:

I agree with Attilla57! Thanks for the explanation! Awesome! (Sorry, I was not trying to make fun with my comments... I truly do wish I had Scottish in my lineage!)
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

I'm too a shy person to wish to wear a kilt but I simpathize with Ken wish.

Iain,

there are similar traditions for girls in Italy.

Bevvy is ok. But what can you tell us about food?

For Thanksgiving a turkey is customary. For St Andrews?

Attilio

Just the usual traditional Scottish dishes; Haggis, Cullen Skink (fish and potato soup), Finnan Haddie (fish dish) etc. It's usually seen as more appropriate to eat fish, St. Andrew being a fisherman.

Historically, it was common custom for farm workers and labourers to catch rabbits and hares on the day. It used to be that a singed sheep's head was the traditional meal !

I learned more about the Scottish flag , tradition and St. Andrew from this site than I knew.
    And me, with a proper Christian up-bringing. I should be ashamed.
    Happy St. Andrews day.

Just the usual traditional Scottish dishes; Haggis, Cullen Skink (fish and potato soup), Finnan Haddie (fish dish) etc. It's usually seen as more appropriate to eat fish, St. Andrew being a fisherman.

Historically, it was common custom for farm workers and labourers to catch rabbits and hares on the day. It used to be that a singed sheep's head was the traditional meal !
    Happy St Andrew's Day...um...I might pass on the traditional food offerings...but a wee bit o whiskey would suit me just fine

Just the usual traditional Scottish dishes; , Cullen Skink (fish and potato soup), Finnan Haddie (fish dish) etc. It's usually seen as more appropriate to eat fish, St. Andrew being a fisherman.

A detailed menu!

Haggis, neeps and tatties and a dram or a Culled Skin (prepared the day before. I read that is even more tasty).

A difficoult choice and a good excuse to visit Scotland

I have also learned a lot of info about your St. Andrew's e traditions. I knew nothing.

Thanks a lot.

Attilio

Quote Originally Posted by Attila57 View Post

A difficoult choice and a good excuse to visit Scotland

I have also learned a lot of info about your St. Andrew's e traditions. I knew nothing.

Thanks a lot.

Attilio
    Yes Attilio, you must visit Scotland. It is one of the jewells in the world. So much diversity of countryside and its citys are full of superb buildings, and historical interest. I go back whenever I can.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I agree, Rob. Scotland in my personal hit list of places to visit from time out of mind.

Attilio

Attilio, don't forget Scotland's many links with Italy, for instance deep fried pizza, mmmmmm! (can't you just feel those arteries clogging up )

Deep fried pizza? If I'll visit Scotland I'll tell you if it 's up to the Italian pizza.

Thanks for the useful indication, George
    Last edited by Attila57; 12-01-2010 at 05:32.

Don't forget the deep-fried Mars Bars (NOT recommended !)

I will remember ... absolutely not to eat them!!

But it's antother links with Italy

Attilio