Ares Games

Thread: Can WW1 planes and WW2 planes be used in the same game?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Gaius
    Sorties Flown

Default Can WW1 planes and WW2 planes be used in the same game?

Hello, I've been searching the forum, but can't find anywhere, where it says if WW1 and WW2 planes can be flown in the same game. Is it doable? I've read that you don't lay as many cards out for WW2 compared to WW1, but is there any reason why you can't?

Thanks.

You can't!

The two games are SEPARATE.

WW1 is 1/144 scale, and WW2 is 1/200, so the movement cards for one are entirely the wrong size to "mesh" with the other; in order to match, the WW2 cards would have to be more than 50% bigger!
    Also, WW2 has both "fast" and "slow" speeds on the cards, while WW1 has only one speed arrow.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

well you could actually physically use them together in the same game. but the results will be very skewed as ww2 aircraft are underrated in hitpoints when compared to ww1. as well as because the scale difference ww1 minis will perform much better against ww2 minis than you have any right to expect. it would be interesting to see, say a p-51 vs a staaken. wagers anyone (i know who i would bet on)?

Well, the Gloster Gladiator and the Fiat Cr.42 are biplanes, and they are very maneuverable compared to any other WWII plane. They both fly the L Maneuver deck. Slow, but no other plane can out-turn them.

Now, you can compare some of the decks here: WGS MATES Cards Album (The L Maneuver Deck is there, but not all other decks.)

Any WWI plane would fire a single A damage chit at all ranges, except the SPAD 12, which could use a single C damage chit in some circumstances (See the Equipment Card for the 37mm AA Cannon. Link: Equipment Card 37mm Cannon )

PS: The L Deck represents a plane that could fly more than twice as fast as a SPAD XIII, (Gladiator: 250 mph vs SPAD XIII: 130 mph).
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 06-06-2017 at 21:35.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Well, the Gloster Gladiator and the Fiat Cr.42 are biplanes, and they are very maneuverable compared to any other WWII plane. They both fly the L Maneuver deck. Slow, but no other plane can out-turn them.

Now, you can compare some of the decks here: WGS MATES Cards Album (The L Maneuver Deck is there, but not all other decks.)

Any WWI plane would fire a single A damage chit at all ranges, except the SPAD 12, which could use a single C damage chit in some circumstances (See the Equipment Card for the 37mm AA Cannon. Link: Equipment Card 37mm Cannon )

PS: The L Deck represents a plane that could fly more than twice as fast as a SPAD XIII, (Gladiator: 250 mph vs SPAD XIII: 130 mph).

i guess i shouldve been a bit more clear. i was assuming using ww2 aircraft (and their respective decks) with ww1 rules. using ww2 rules (and damaged tokens) ww2 aircraft would obliterate ww1 aircraft.

Sorry for going off on a side post but allow me just a bit. There is a book or novella called Hawk Among the Sparrows by Dean McLaughlin where a modern day pilot goes back in time to WWI with his 'superior' air superiority jet. For all of his bravado his radar won't lock onto the wooden planes, his heat seekers won't lock onto to the piston engines, etc...

Interesting read.

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    i guess i shouldve been a bit more clear. i was assuming using ww2 aircraft (and their respective decks) with ww1 rules. using ww2 rules (and damaged tokens) ww2 aircraft would obliterate ww1 aircraft.
    The miniatures themselves are a different scale. So of course the maneuver decks are as well. Does that help?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken at Sunrise View Post
    The miniatures themselves are a different scale. So of course the maneuver decks are as well. Does that help?
    Post #2

Quote Originally Posted by Ken at Sunrise View Post
    Sorry for going off on a side post but allow me just a bit. There is a book or novella called Hawk Among the Sparrows by Dean McLaughlin where a modern day pilot goes back in time to WWI with his 'superior' air superiority jet. For all of his bravado his radar won't lock onto the wooden planes, his heat seekers won't lock onto to the piston engines, etc...

Interesting read.
    MANY years ago, when I were but a lad, my weekly comic carried a story in which a WW1 "Flying Circus" display team were trapped by a modern war in Asia (IIRC), and their replica biplanes and Triplanes were pressed into service fighting the modern jets of the "bad guys" - Successfully, at that!
    Can't remember the name of the story, though (I was only about 8 years old!)

Wasn't there a Clive Cussler "Dirk Pitt" novel that featured an Albatross shooting up a load of modern USAF jets on an airfield in the Mediterranean somewhere. I'm thinking "Mayday"?

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    You would have to plan and play up to nine WWII cards per turn, and enforce a double straight between turn cards, to emulate the speed and scale difference (this off the top of my head, not a measured or researched answer, BTW). And it wouldn't matter what system you used, a WWII plane would obliterate a WWI plane. Example: Bf-109 would fire at (approx, again rough estimate, without reference to ranges and rates of fire) two or more range rulers distance with four C cards and four A cards.

Back to Post #2?
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Users Country Flag

Name
    Troy
    Sorties Flown

While it can 'be done' the real question is why in the first place. Game mechanics alone would hinder such a mix-n-match game.

My question is why would you want to mix the game's up ?
    The scales as mentioned are all wrong, hence the decks , hence the HP. As Mike (old guy 59) said you can have Glads and Fiats as early WW2 scenarios but anything after that is SF.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Wasn't there a Clive Cussler "Dirk Pitt" novel that featured an Albatross shooting up a load of modern USAF jets on an airfield in the Mediterranean somewhere. I'm thinking "Mayday"?
    I have read that book, David.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	51DZ8p0v9+L._AC_US218_.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	14.6 KB 
ID:	225122

I also remember a story in a comic where in the Korean war a communist pilot shoots up the U.N. troops in a biplane and the jet fighters cannot touch it because it is so manoeuverable. However, the hero finds an armed Wackett trainer and uses it to shoot down the biplane.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	300px-Wackett_trainer_(AWM_AC0154).jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	225123

I remember an incident during the Nigerian civil war of 1968 where mecinary pilots in Cesnas armed with air to surface cluster missiles shot up and destroyed a whole squadron of Federal jet. Admitidly the jets were on the ground at the time

On an historical note, the last two surviving Fokker Dr 1 aircraft were shot down on a bombing mission in WW2. So in reality it actually happened!

Don't forget that the N. Koreans did fly PO-2's at the start of the war. Also in Viet Nam 2 Skyraiders shot down a Mig 19. So you could run those planes but as stated in a number of replys different rules and cards for WWI and WWII.

Similar Missions

1. Other want to trade game for planes
    By boomerpete53 in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-26-2017, 13:16
  2. WGF WOW Planes for sale. And a pair of promo planes.
    By Madboyo in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-30-2014, 06:40
  3. AAR: First game with the series V planes.
    By Marechallannes in forum WGS: After Action Reports
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 11-14-2013, 00:03
  4. German planes vs Americans planes, played by Americans living in Germany
    By Air Battle Mgr in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-23-2013, 14:56
  5. Da Planes!!!!!! Boss!!!! Da Planes!!!!!
    By The Cowman in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 12-01-2012, 18:59