Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reviresco SE.5a Build Project

Default Reviresco SE.5a Build Project

Well... here we are again...

My Reviresco Tripe build has stalled for a bit while I wait for the opportunity to go get needed parts. I am trying to keep busy working through these kits, so I have decided to get ambitious and start the RAF SE.5a kit.

Unfortunately I do not have a helpful set of tips and instructions to guide me through the build this time, so I must rely on the instructions that came with the kit... vague at best. I will have to muddle through and make use of tips I got from Flying Officer Kyte for the Tripe!

Steps 1 and 2: Clean off any flashing on the model; Fill any cavities and rub down.

Egads! Thats a lot of flash... and a lot of dings to fill ... this is gonna keep me busy for a bit!
    Last edited by The Cowman; 11-29-2010 at 01:51. Reason: added links
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

I must have bought 15 kits from Reviresco over the years and never had one that looked that bad. Their quality control really went to pot. I'd email your pics to them and ask for a replacement.
    Last edited by Ed2; 11-28-2010 at 21:47.

Whoa that is a ton of flash

It has certainly put me off buying any more from them. My Tripe and Biff looked far better than that.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

4:15 AM Update: Still cleaning off flash, filling in cavities, and in general spiffying up the parts...

In one of my prior threads, I had been asked by Gregbond77 if the inner wing struts had come with the kit... foolishly I said "Yes". It turns out I can't count well in the wee hours of the morning. The kit actually came with only three of the four inner struts.

So now I have two projects that are partially on hold till I can get that ride to the hobby store for brass and styrene rods... grrrrrrrrr...

I will post some pics of the cleaned up parts (they are actually coming along quite nicely) just as soon as I clean the rest of them up... but for now I think Mr. Head is going to meet Mr. Pillow...

Oh... Did I mention that I may be buying my model kits from Skytrex from this point on??
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

I've just had 2 Siemans Shuckert D.IIIs arrive from Reviresco and they are pretty similar for flash. Not sure if they are having a problem or just need to replace a few moulds. I'll know more when my AEG G.IV, Brisfit and 2 DH2s arrive later this week.

Tony

Must be a problem, I got two Tripes and two SSW DIII's last year and had no real problem with flash at all, maybe the moulds have got worse since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Belis4rius View Post
    Must be a problem, I got two Tripes and two SSW DIII's last year and had no real problem with flash at all, maybe the moulds have got worse since then.
    I have 3 SE5a kits that I bought 2 or 3 years ago and the casting is pretty good. The moulds looks as if they have been really hammered since then.

I have to say that quality control has never been a strong point of Riveresco - I have about 8 sitting at home, all of which have either lumps missing from the leading/trailing edges of wings, broken/missing prop blades or miscast struts/undercart legs.

I would love to get more Riveresco, especially some of the more recent ones, but to be honest I don't want the hassle of having to make good the faults in the kits.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    I have 3 SE5a kits that I bought 2 or 3 years ago and the casting is pretty good. The moulds looks as if they have been really hammered since then.
    It's probably all those Wings of War lunatics wanting more planes for their games.......

Having done a fair bit of both resin and metal casting over the years I know that the moulds for the metal castings need replacing on a far more regular basis, because the moulding compound wears and shrinks quickly, causing the flash. It gets really difficult when there is a sudden rush, especially if you are short of time, to make the call between carrying on casting to fill orders (and make money) and taking the time to make new moulds.

What Tony says, however..

At the end of the day it is the manufacturer's reputation (and therefore sales) that takes a hit if people keep getting sub-standard product.

Wow wont be partaking in their models im afraid

Build Tips Se5a
    1. clean off all flash.
    2. paint interior of cockpit.
    3. make sure cowling fits into fuselage(hold halves together with fingers) it is easier to file and sand while in two halves.
    4. glue fuselage together.
    5. glue lower wing to fuselage, very important step get it set up straight!
    6. Sand down tabs of struts so they fit loosely in hole of wing. I hold struts between two erasers with only tabs sticking out file gently. Or you can drill holes in wing larger. Your call.
    7. Primer everything. For small parts put tape on a long toothpick(or other stick) wrap once then reverse so sticky side is on outside. this will hold small parts so they don't fly away. Of course you can only do one side at a time.
    8. paint underside of top wing and struts(you may want to remove the bottom stringer from the struts as this will clean up the model, but leave the top stringer on as this will make putting on the struts much easier).
    9. glue struts to top wing make sure wings line up.
    10. fill in holes in top wing where strut tabs poke through. Do the four holes for cabine struts as well.
    11. paint fuselage and bottom wing, and top wing. Put on decals?
    12. glue top wing on.
    13. glue cabine struts to wing and fuselage. I turn the model upside down for this step.
    14. glue coweling on.
    15. under carriage, use white glue to glue axel and struts together place on model(it should still be upside down) to get it straight, let dry. This holds the three parts together and makes final assembly really easy.
    16. glue under carriage struts to fuselage.
    17. glue wheels to axel.
    18. glue prop to cowling.
    19. send vodka to Washington Squadron Commander.
    20. I did this from memory, so any questions let me know. I hope I did not leave any thing out.
    21. Just remembered don't forget to glue on tail units at some point, like before you do the under carriage. And paint the red white and blue stripes on the rudder before you glue on the tail units.
    Last edited by gregbond77; 11-29-2010 at 15:20. Reason: add info

Quote Originally Posted by gregbond77 View Post
    Build Tips Se5a
    1. clean off all flash.
    3. make sure cowling fits into fuselage(hold halves together with fingers) it is easier to file and sand while in two halves.
    6. Sand down tabs of struts so they fit loosely in hole of wing. I hold struts between two erasers with only tabs sticking out file gently. Or you can drill holes in wing larger. Your call.
    7. Primer everything. For small parts put tape on a long toothpick(or other stick) wrap once then reverse so sticky side is on outside. this will hold small parts so they don't fly away. Of course you can only do one side at a time.
    8. paint underside of top wing and struts(you may want to remove the bottom stringer from the struts as this will clean up the model, but leave the top stringer on as this will make putting on the struts much easier).
    10. fill in holes in top wing where strut tabs poke through. Do the four holes for cabine struts as well.
    12. glue top wing on.
    13. glue cabine struts to wing and fuselage. I turn the model upside down for this step.
    14. glue coweling on.
    15. under carriage, use white glue to glue axel and struts together place on model(it should still be upside down) to get it straight, let dry. This holds the three parts together and makes final assembly really easy.
    17. glue wheels to axel.
    20. I did this from memory, so any questions let me know. I hope I did not leave any thing out.
    21. Just remembered don't forget to glue on tail units at some point, like before you do the under carriage. And paint the red white and blue stripes on the rudder before you glue on the tail units.
    Thanks Greg! I may do most of my painting after assembly, but will definitely use the guide to get me through the build. Digital Vodka to be sent to your inbox soon!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

From the looks of the castings, it looks like Ken won't get past step one until sometimes after Christmas.

Build Tips Se5a
    1. clean off all flash.
    12. glue top wing on.
    14. glue coweling on.
    17. glue wheels to axel.

Steps 1 and 2 Completed : Flash removed, Cavities Filled, Details "Fine tuned"

OK... About three hours of work and some very sore fingers... it amazes me that these are the same parts and even came out this much better. I am sure I will have to do some more cleanup work after I assemble and base coat...

Note the three, not four, inner wing struts in the upper right corner. Grrrr....

On to the assembly!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

WOW! What a clean up job.
    Let me know if you take on work. I have 5 models that I dread starting.
    Nice move to make the prop later SE5.

Nice clean up job! Keep posting pics of your fixer-upper for us, please!

Step 3: Assemble the fuselage halves, filling and sanding any crevices.
    Step 4: Attach the lower wing, filling and sanding any crevices.

Moving right along I assembled the fuselage, which went together pretty well and only required a little filling and sanding after drying. I then attached the lower wing, taking care to keep it nice and straight. Agina this fit will and only required a small amount of filler and sanding.

Things progressing well for now, next I will test fitting the undercarriage so that I can glue it together and have it ready to attach near the end. Thanks for the tips Greg!
    Last edited by The Cowman; 11-29-2010 at 22:30. Reason: add pics
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

3 hours to clean up the flash! Kyte could have a Gotha G.IV assembled and painted in that time

I applaud your dedication to the task, which goes above and beyond in my opinion.

I 've just ordered a Hanriot HD1 from Reviresco...Sure hope it will have less flash en cleaning up to do because otherwise it will be the first and last kit I'll buy from them.

I think it shows little respect for the customer if you send him a sub-standard item like this for his well-earned money...all in all this is bad bussiness

This said your hard work payed off...as did your undescribable amount of patience
    Last edited by Bluedevil; 12-03-2010 at 01:20.

3 hours to clean up the flash! Kyte could have a Gotha G.IV assembled and painted in that time

I applaud your dedication to the task, which goes above and beyond in my opinion.
    Wadya mean, wadya mean Gunners? In that time it would have completed at least one tour of duty.. Too much slacking and scrimshanking around this drome I fancy.
    Kyte.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Wadya mean, wadya mean Gunners? In that time it would have completed at least one tour of duty.. Too much slacking and scrimshanking around this drome I fancy.
    Kyte.
    Scrimshanking? Thats a new one on me!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Quote Originally Posted by The Cowman View Post
    Scrimshanking? Thats a new one on me!
    It means shirking, dodging the coloumn, generally avoiding the action, sloping off when required to do some work. etc. etc.
    Rob.

Very kewl word... I shall be addding it to my vocabulary! Thx!

Oh... and WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO!

I now have a bunch of various styrene and brass rod, and flat rod, plus some new files and other hobby goodies... time to get building again!!! (After I play video games with my five year old nephew!)

No more scrimshanking!
    Last edited by The Cowman; 11-30-2010 at 09:20.
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

The Se5a looks good, nice work.

Step 5: Attach Struts and Upper Wing
    Step 6 : Fill and Sand Strut holes
    Step 7: Attach Radiator.

I ended up using aluminum rod for all of the struts, was much sturdier and gave the plane a cleaner look than the supplied struts. They was also a bit easier to install. It took me a little while to get it just right as I used no jig and this was my first time doing a white metal aircraft this small. Radiator went on fine, and all the holes filled in nicely with white putty.

Now for the small parts and the undercarriage using Greg's nifty white glue tip!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Default Tip of the day.

Coming along well.Remember to keep it in its box when not working on it. I even have a big box to cover mine when I have sprayed it, mainly to keep off dust and cat hairs whilst it is tacky.
    Rob.

Default from pa

looking good!!! a far cry from what it started from!!!! keep it up!!

Very nice, looks like you removed the lower stringer from the struts, improves the look of the model in my humble opinion. Keep up the good work and pictures.

Very nice, looks like you removed the lower stringer from the struts, improves the look of the model in my humble opinion. Keep up the good work and pictures.
    Actually I replaced the struts all together with aluminum (I think its aluminum) rod.
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

It is looking very good indeed. It seems to have that chunky solid look that one associates with the SE. I will be following your progress with interest.
    Rob.

Good work that man.

Step 8. Prime Aircraft and remaining parts. (Changing up the order of things a touch.)

Just like my SE.5a project, this part was pretty simple... since it is very cold outside I used my makeshift spraybox in my attic so I could vent the overspray out the window as I sprayed in a warm environment. A window fan on reverse, cardboard box, an exacto knife, and some furnace filters... and Alackazam!! Ten minutes later I have a spray box! No fumes... no mess!

From here I will be airbrushing on some base colors, and then hand painting the rest of the model. Note that I have decided to use the pilot here, and not do so on the Tripehound. I may also get started on my Reviresco Camel tomorrow, to fill in time as I wait for paint to dry...

I'd also like to say thanks to everyone for all the encouragement and positive comments on both of these projects as I have progressed. It means a lot to me!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

A very tidy and clean build Ken. Well done matey

Seeing where it came from you did a little miracle

Now get to your paintbrush..this aircraft needs some paint!

Looking good - Living proof you can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear

Actually I replaced the struts all together with aluminum (I think its aluminum) rod.
    Even better!!

You even went so far as to put dihedral in the wings. Are you trying to make the rest of us look like slackers!!

You even went so far as to put dihedral in the wings. Are you trying to make the rest of us look like slackers!!
    I think its more that I am managing to make myself look like the guy in the room who might just be a little OC and might just have some serious anal retentive tendencies... Seriously, look at how long this build is taking me!!! I think you, Tony, or Rob would have had seven of these built and painted by now!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

It's not how long it takes. It's the end result that matters.

Now go and give yourself a good rub down with AnuSol and a copy of the IPMS handbook

UPDATE: 12-14-2010

OK so I am well past the halfway point on the painting and am dedicating most of today to finish this project. I am waiting on a family member to return from an errand to fetch me a fresh bottle of Future Floor Wax.

I plan to have this mini ready to fly at tomorrow night's tournament at Krystal keep in Dayton! Stand by for further developments!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Step 9: Paint Aircraft and Remaining Parts.
    Step 10: Assemble Landing Gear, Horizontal Tail Sections, and Upper Gun.
    Step 11: Apply Decals - Microset and Microsol.
    Step 12: Clear coat, and Dull Coat.
    Step 13: Affix Gimble Mount

The painting took a while... like I have said, getting those cow spots just right is painstaking... I ran into some trouble with getting good color coverage, and ended up switching over to some of the new Games Workshop Paints. This fixed the problem. Painting the fuselage details under the top wing proved tricky, but I muddled through. In the end I think the final outcome was good. The landing gear was a difficult fit... but I managed to get it to look somewhat decent. The decals went on fine; I used smaller roundels due to the "Cow Spots". I may go back later and add a Black or Navy "C" to both sides of the fuselage.

The gimble mount works well, but next time I will rough up the ball bearing a bit before I glue it in. The weight of the model tends to make it slip sometimes when moving the aircraft during a game.

Here are the pics of the final project... be gentle with me!

On a side note: This aircraft managed to score kills on the entire opposing Central Powers flight in its first sortie. Three kills and a safe trip home! I would say that makes "cow spots" pretty lucky, even if the brass wants nothing to do with them!

THUS CONCLUDES THE REVIRESCO SE.5A BUILD!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

It's the first time I see an airplane with the livery of a cappuccino machine!

Attilio

Last edited by Attila57; 12-17-2010 at 14:17.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Andy
    Sorties Flown

Ken

Simply awesome my friend, a fitting tribute to your skill and tenacity. Sadly the first question people will ask is, whos kit is it? I would be tempted to say you have scratch built it. I have never seen so much flash on a white metal kit, the flash on the wing was almost the width again.

Thank you for putting together this construction series. Hopefully it will give others the encouragement to have a go with an insight as to what to expect out of the box.

The Games Workshop Citadel paints are superb. I also play Warhammer and all their kit are first class. I have just bought the new plastic work station which allows you to model with the tray on your knee. The new paints now come in air tight pots.

It makes the job so much easier to have the right tools

Needles
    Last edited by needles; 12-17-2010 at 01:19.

Nice paint job Ken. You must heifer lot of patience to do that colour scheme. If you are painting an udder plane, what's it going to be? A Farman longhorn?

I'll get my coat..

Quote Originally Posted by needles View Post
    Ken

Sadly the first question people will ask is, whos kit is it?
    Needles
    Andy, I think there is a bit of a clue in the thread title

Nice paint job Ken. You must heifer lot of patience to do that colour scheme. If you are painting an udder plane, what's it going to be? A Farman longhorn?

I'll get my coat..
    Did you miss my earlier post on the First World War song. " Oh the Farman and the Cowman should be friends" With appologies to Rodgers & Hammerstein.
    Other than that, what a cracking good job. The paint scheme apart, It would grace any wargame table. As long as it was flying over a field of cows the Huns would never spot it
    Rob.

Nice one, really like the pilot. Is he the kits own pilot or one you have added ?

Ken your hardwork and patience has paid off. the Wisconson camo pattern looks great

The gimble mount works well, but next time I will rough up the ball bearing a bit before I glue it in. The weight of the model tends to make it slip sometimes when moving the aircraft during a game.
    Cool paint job. Nice work!

It's not too late to rough up the ball bearing. Just take a little sand paper to it - you won't see any difference, but you'll feel it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Reviresco Sopwith Triplane Build Project
    By The Cowman in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: 02-28-2011, 22:32
  2. Anyone want to build me a Gotha?
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-03-2011, 14:00
  3. Project Question
    By csadn in forum Officer's Club