Ares Games

Thread: Fuel/Ammo Limitations.

Default Fuel/Ammo Limitations.

Hello again! I've found that several leagues have written rules embracing fuel and/or ammo limitations. So far, all those I have looked into make a blanket coverage for both (someone tracks to, say 12 game turns, then all nust head for home).........but these limitations were REAL; and varied from airship to airship.

Now, I think I can develop charts for both that would reflect the variances from one plane to another and bring more historical value and realism to whomever chose to use these limitations in their leagues. I already have figures (by hours and minutes of flight time) for just about every plane that appears in WoW in either card and/or miniature form.

What I need are any figures that anyone might have on ammunition on board, which also varied dramatically from one aircraft to another. Can anyone help me out...or point me in the right direction?

There's been some discussion on those before. These threads might help:

Fuel: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1511

Ammo: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...t=limited+ammo
    and: http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/ot...they-have.html (takes a bit of sorting through, there's a lot of contradictory info going back and forth).

My own ammo rules are similar to SHVAK's, but much simpler. Spandaus get 12 shots, Vickers get 10, Lewis gets 3 (and two reloads, three for single-gun planes, not tracked for observer guns), all Central Powers observer guns get 6 (and one reload). Basically, we just average each burst out to 30-40 rounds. Reloading uses the same rules as for clearing jams (we've settled on 3 consecutive non-steeps for both, 4 for twin Lewis guns).

I'd be very interested in seeing what you come up with for fuel usage, although I expect that in campaign games many pilots will be heading for home once they've taken serious damage or have accomplished their mission anyway so it might not be much of a concern. I did look into it at one time, but the main issue we had was that you would really have to take the distance to and from your home base and perhaps the length of your patrol before the scenario into account, perhaps only leaving you with a handful of turns on the table (before your plane turns into a glider ).
    Last edited by IRM; 11-29-2010 at 02:25.

I would like to see some fuel limit house rules too! Mainly for use in the campaign settings to figure out effective flight distances that planes should be allowed. How deep into enemy territory can you really go and still expect to get home?

As to the combat end of things... Historically most air battles only took about 3 to 10 minutes, and I think the rules support that very well. So although you can run out of ammo by shooting too much, unless you are already low on fuel when your fight starts, I'm not sure that in game terms, you are likely to run out of fuel. This is were your charts would be handy...How Low on Fuel am I when I get jumped by the enemy? (Yes this is ALWAYS what happens to me)

Yep...I could go for some easy fuel/ammo rules...but only for campaign play. The less bookkeeping the better...

Similar Missions

1. Limited ammo
    By Oberst Hajj in forum WGS: House Rules
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: 07-27-2012, 19:50
  2. Fuel -- another newbie question
    By Air Battle Mgr in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 04-24-2012, 00:06
  3. Limited Fuel
    By Oberst Hajj in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 7