Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SummerCon 2018 Richthofen Campaign

Default SummerCon 2018 Richthofen Campaign

Thinking about a special Richthofen WGF campaign for our Summer Con 2018. (He died 21.04.1918)

We have

Richthofen's Roland C.II twoseater

Richthofen's Albatros D.II scout

Richthofen's Albatros D.III scout

Richthofens Fokker Dr. I Dreidecker

We have his ace cards.

The WGF campaign from 2016 was very intersting but a little bit overcrowded on one table for an intense play.

Maybe we can play 2 x 4 Richthofen missions on two tables during the main battle day at Saturday.

What do you think?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Richthofen.jpg  
    Last edited by Marechallannes; 05-25-2017 at 12:47.
    Voilà le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Sounds fine. Two tables would be perfect. Maybe promoting most successful players after two games to the "A finals", and leaving those less successful at the "B finals" would also work? In that way, all participants would play the whole campaign, but we would have one overall winner winning "Red Baron 2017 badge" .

I would suggest a 2018 badge.

I like open tables but the idea isn't that bad to concentrate the best playes in the last (two) game(s).

To use Manfred's aces cards would be cool, too. - Maybe not for the first mission with the Roland twoseater, but for mission 2 with level 3, mission 3 with level 4 and the last mission with level 5.

Von Richthofen can be shot down, but not be killed, except of the last mission.

Famous Entente aces should fight him during the mission with the ability to grow their abilities, too. Once killed, they're out of the game, like the other Central Power aces.

Big advantage would be, that we need only to develop 4 missions for 8 games.

OK, I just passed a debriefing with Kubajs and here are our thoughs:
    1. We strongly support ace abilities in this special campaign. We are not play them often, but this campaign should be full of famous aces and abilities fit perfect, especialy for MvR.
    2. Due to huge number of players last years it's necessary to play on two tables.
    3. One table could be MvR Career and the second one could be for his opponent (Brown or even Ball?).
    4. The last mission could be (we aren't decided yet) a big one for 20-24 players as a tribute to Red Baron himself.
    5. We are preparing something special for every player who will attend campaign.

Any other ideas?

Love the sound of this. Having just had the green light to attend, I can't wait. Really fitting that we mark his passing

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    Love the sound of this. Having just had the green light to attend, I can't wait. Really fitting that we mark his passing
    You got the OK to go to Prague Chris

See you at the Mars then.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

If you can get the Conference room at the Mars like you did this year Dan that would be excellent. Plenty of room and plenty of beer

The green light has been well and truly pressed - better get my passport checked, am cleared for Prague (mind you it has cost me a week in Eurodisney for my wife, 2 daughters and graddaughter, lol)

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Hmm a difficult choice . 2 days with a giant rat and eating hamburgers or gaming in a city with great architecture and history.

You got the best deal Chris.

I am opening this thread to all members of the Aerodrome and I am asking you for an advice and opinion. So...

...Imagine you are participant of Prague Con '18 Campaign and want to spend whole Saturday (100 years exactly after fall of MvR) on WGF table. OK, now be so kind and ask me these questions:

1. Everyone wants to be Red Baron. Do you think it will be better to have one player (Andrzej?) MvR role for all games or should it change?
    2. In case of change: How ace skill system should work?
    3. Are you OK with two separate tables? One for MvR himself and his campaign and the second one for his nemesis and his (almost exactly same) campaign?
    4. Who should be MvR nemesis? Roy Brown? It must be and Englishman (Canadian, Australian etc.).
    5. Is an idea of big last mission in 24 players right?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    I am opening this thread to all members of the Aerodrome and I am asking you for an advice and opinion. So...

...Imagine you are participant of Prague Con '18 Campaign and want to spend whole Saturday (100 years exactly after fall of MvR) on WGF table. OK, now be so kind and ask me these questions:

1. Everyone wants to be Red Baron. Do you think it will be better to have one player (Andrzej?) MvR role for all games or should it change?

One method you could use:

- Put out a number of English and German victory tokens face down evenly divided to match the number of players, eg. 24 players = 12 British and 12 German tokens. Players draw their tokens to decide which team they will fight for - Jasta 11 for the Germans or No.209 Squadron RAF for the English.

- Once the squadrons have been selected, you need to decide which player is going to be the 'hero' for their squadron. Have each player make another draw to decide who will play the squadron 'hero' - Rittmeister Manfred Freiherr von Richthofen or Captain Roy Brown. Keep this secret from the other team so either side can't focus on shooting down that player.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    The green light has been well and truly pressed - better get my passport checked, am cleared for Prague (mind you it has cost me a week in Eurodisney for my wife, 2 daughters and graddaughter, lol)
    Chris,
    I've just made a similar "Devil's Bargain"...my Wife and 22 year old daughter leave Monday for Orlando (Universal Studios and Disney) in exchange for Fall In and the Council of Five Nations cons...plus two future draft choices, cash considerations, and a player to be named later...
    Bill

This sounds terrific...I'd love to do this as I spent parts of 5 years every year in Prague and Celakovice and really enjoyed my time there and getting to know the Czech people...but I have already successfully opened negotiations to attend "Attack" in Devizes (another place I really loved being) and the con at the Tank Museum two weeks prior next July...so perhaps 2019 ???

So do not miss the '19 It will be "first after centenary" Con. I expect Doncaster '18 will have something special too

Still on vacation. Will post my thoughts next week, Daniel.

If you are looking at a table with 24 players you will need to be somewhere like the Conference room we had last year at the Mars. which was perfect IMHO

Deck of cards. Red for Entente, Black for Central Powers. Ace of Diamonds is Brown and Ace of Spades is MvR. That way it's a pure random choice which team and who is the ace. Have the 2 other Ace cards as random aces so it's hard to guess which of the 2 aces is MvR or Brown repsectiveley. Also remove any unwanted cards or stick to just 2 suits and add in from the other unused black or Red suits to make sure all players a catered for. (remember to include both red and black ace crads though.
    See you on the Dark Side......

I have another idea: we run a campaign a year ago, so why not ask Central Powers Ace of Aces to be a MvR? The only bad thing is that Joaquim is quiet

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Deck of cards. Red for Entente, Black for Central Powers. Ace of Diamonds is Brown and Ace of Spades is MvR. That way it's a pure random choice which team and who is the ace. Have the 2 other Ace cards as random aces so it's hard to guess which of the 2 aces is MvR or Brown repsectiveley. Also remove any unwanted cards or stick to just 2 suits and add in from the other unused black or Red suits to make sure all players a catered for. (remember to include both red and black ace crads though.
    Or you can use the Aces High pack of cards which has all the WW aces in the pack reds are entente , black suits Germans. each player draws from the appropriate pack and that is their pilot for the campaign.

Can we take it that the Prague Con will be Friday 20th April to Sunday 22nd April 2018?

Yes, sir, you can. It would be sacrilege to miss this centenary

In that case I shall book the Mars

Booked in

I strongly believe every player in this campaign could be potential RB (Red Baron or Roy Brown), with strict line of possible Ace Promotion. First skill earned, for example, should be Acrobatic Pilot, than Daredevil, Super Ace, Itchy Trigger Finger, and Sniper.

Goal, of course, is to become RB (or the closest it can get).

Everybody should start as Veteran.
    Whenever player scores three kills (shared kills are counted as kill for each pilot included) in a row, player immediately gets promotion to the next level (Veteran - Single Ace - Double Ace etc.) If we get a true hero, Six-time-Ace (or even better), that player is allowed to choose his new skill.

Also, each player gets promotion after games 1 and 3.

Each time player gets shot down, degrades one level, say, Double Ace > Single Ace > Veteran > Rookie > Rookie > Cavalry (yes, Rookie x2). When player gets to the Cavalry, he is grounded for the rest of that game. He can start next game only as Veteran, even if game 1 or 3 (no mandatory promotion to Ace for him).

Leaving the table is counted as being shot down, but player doesn't lose his Rank if returns to the fight, or if he left the table during last turn. Otherwise he is degraded.

Winner is player with highest Ace Ranking (Quadriple Ace being better than Triple Ace, of course) when campaign ends. If two or more players share same ranking, players with the best "scored kills : being killed" ratio wins. So, 11:3, (being 3,66) is better than 12:4 (being only 3).

In this way, shooting enemies down has it's prize, but being shot down has it's price. Specially if we bear in mind that there were no many multiple survivors in real life. Including Red Baron...

Sounds like a good method of playing

Hmm...

First - I like the idea of a "fixed" Manfred von Richthofen - Andrzej fits perfect - on one table and a "fixed" Entente ace at the other table.

Second - the idea of develop an own ace sounds good to me too, but to be honest comrades, when I had a look on the mass of missions at our Summer Cons - how many pilots survied a mission without being shot down once? With the beginning of mission numer 3, we'll be all rookies with one or two exceptions. Should be possible to rise the number of survivors with permanent altitude rules, no ressurection and a consequent "leave the table tactic" when being 50%+ damaged - but statistics will take its toll in the next mission.

Third - a short overview how I handled my Italian/A-H front game with aces.

I set up the planes and offered the pilots to choose an additional, official ace with ace card with this plane.
    I combined the choose of an aces with an increase of the victory points for this ace being shot down. You got 5 planes for a shot down plane + the ace level of the pilot. So a Fokker E.III with Max Immelmann (Level 2) is 7 victory points worth. (If being shot down, you were allowed to resurrect, but without the ace)

So looking at my ace cards, I have a

Richthofen (level 1 - 5)
    Boelke (level 7 & 8)
    Kirschstein (level 2)
    Immelmann (level 2)
    Sachsenberg (level 2)
    Baur (level 1)
    Stark (level 1)

Hawker (level 1)
    Little (level 5)
    Harvey (level 5)

Gynemer (level 6 - 10)
    Chaput (level 1)
    Lufbery (level1)
    Couadou (level 1)
    Navarre (level 1)

Coppens (level 2)

Luke (level 2)
    Hartney (level 1)
    Thawn (level 1)

Beside this we can design own ace cards for the Flying Circus and it's pilots (Voß, Wolff, Sternberg und Lehmann) and for example a famous British (RNAS?) or French formation.

So my idea is to offer at the start of each mission planes and aces (except Richthofen and the Entente ace) and let the gamers choose what to do/fly in the mission and what they feel comfortable with. (For example one A/H gamer choosed a B-firing Aviatik without an ace to concentrate on ballon busting, without being a valuable target. Another one choosed an Italian ace to fight enemy planes and defend the own balloons. Twoseaters were offered, too.)
    Last edited by Marechallannes; 08-13-2017 at 07:15.

Just a suggestion.

In general - to repeat myself - I like the idea of a "fixed" Baron and free choices of sides.

For being a host and host-supporter, I'm good with each plane and function, but I can imagine, that's not satisfying for the gamers, to fly the first two missions for the RFC and being the randomly assingned to the Central Powers for mission 3.

I still believe that "Developed Ace" is a better principle than a "Fixed Ace". By the way, I also find Andrzej excellent choice for MVR , and Kubajs should be also considered! But, each fixed ace will be bullet-magnet and he will not last long, as all are going to chase him, specially if he will grant some extra points. Also, game mechanics is somewhat based on luck, so extra points granted for killing an ace wouldn't always be truly earned.

So, here is my alternative Promotion System (victory is either a kill or mission achievement), based on Sven's very true remarks about rookies).

Each victory: + 6 pts

Each shared victory:
    + 3 pts (two players sharing)
    + 2 pts (three or more players sharing)

Defeat:
    - 3 pts

Leaving the table (each time):
    - 2 pts

Player earns a promotion to the next group when scores certain points, and can be degraded wheh loses points.
    Each player starts with 22 pts (to get Single Ace status player needs any two victories).

Groups are:
    0 - 14 pts: Rookie
    15 - 29 pts: Veteran
    30 - 44 pts: Single Ace
    45 - 59 pts: Double Ace
    60 - 69 pts: Triple Ace
    70 - 79 pts: Quadruple Ace
    80 + pts: Quintuple Ace (80 points for Red Baron's 80 victories :-) ).

That would grant you a better chance to develop your carreer.

...and a defeat would not ruin completely the whole achievements.

Just a note about the sheet: During Campaign '16 the target for an ace sklil was 12 points. I was the only one who reached this target. Once. Then went back to 9, uhm... So, three victories could be bloody hard target.

Good point.

I would like to see a few aces on both sides per mission.

Beside this: What kind of campaign makes more sense?

A walk throug Manfred's carrer with missions from mid war to late war, or a kind of "his final month"?

@ Daniel,

being aware of malfunctions at first system, I suggested the alternative system (see above). You start as veteran with 22 points. To become an ace you need two kills (and you can afford to get shot down once).
    System awards daring pilots. After all, we can't all be Richthofens.

Btw, is April 20st - 22nd possible date for 2018 Con?

@ Sven
    Walktrough would be more interesting, but harder to organize (many planes for many pilots). Also, if including Bloody April, at least in one game allies will be sitting ducks.

So, maybe last month campaign would be better? Not still sure about that, but kin to.

Quote Originally Posted by Пилот View Post
    @ Daniel,

being aware of malfunctions at first system, I suggested the alternative system (see above). You start as veteran with 22 points. To become an ace you need two kills (and you can afford to get shot down once).
    System awards daring pilots. After all, we can't all be Richthofens.

Btw, is April 20st - 22nd possible date for 2018 Con?
    Sure Here is the answer:

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Can we take it that the Prague Con will be Friday 20th April to Sunday 22nd April 2018?
    Yes, sir, you can. It would be sacrilege to miss this centenary

About campaign I will tell you mora later - we are goining to play SoG with Kubajs today. But in general we want to play complete carreer, because we have at least four (?) his planes.

Thanks Dan!

We can start preparations

...and load the Stukas for the battle of Belgrad.

With pleasure

Can we stick to the thread? I promis that I will start a full Con thread soon.

Last edited by Dan-Sam; 08-15-2017 at 02:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    I would suggest a 2018 badge.

I like open tables but the idea isn't that bad to concentrate the best playes in the last (two) game(s).

To use Manfred's aces cards would be cool, too. - Maybe not for the first mission with the Roland twoseater, but for mission 2 with level 3, mission 3 with level 4 and the last mission with level 5.

Von Richthofen can be shot down, but not be killed, except of the last mission.

Famous Entente aces should fight him during the mission with the ability to grow their abilities, too. Once killed, they're out of the game, like the other Central Power aces.

Big advantage would be, that we need only to develop 4 missions for 8 games.
    Are you really interested in badge? So feel free to post some draft and I can contact really cheap, but brilliant, manufacturer here in CZ. They make badges for my scout unit

I can participate in a sponsoring for badges for campaigners.

What's the price for a series of 50 pieces?

I can imagine a 3 coloured patch: red triplane on blue ground and white letters.

It depends... The first draft is for 500 CZK (aprox. 19€) and then about 1€ per badge (bellow is an image of our badge that cost less than 1€). So it should be 1,4€ per badge (6 cm in diameter) => total cost is 69€ aprox.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	images2TJ5RMPB.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	11.0 KB 
ID:	230349

What size it is?

It depends... The first draft is for 500 CZK (aprox. 19€) and then about 1€ per badge (bellow is an image of our badge that cost less than 1€). So it should be 1,4€ per badge (6 cm in diameter) => total cost is 69€ aprox.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	images2TJ5RMPB.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	11.0 KB 
ID:	230349
    What size it is?
    Answer is above.

...too much red wine.

The Czech wing designed each year a nice sticker for the Summer Con.

I'm not the best designer, but the simple tricolor work (blue/red/black on white ground) impressed me.

So if can get a patch in the same design, with a red triplane on blue ground with a white round labe like (Summer Con 2018 - Richthofen Campaign - 100th anniversary of a fallen eagle), I would like the idea to hand over each enlisted Summer Con participant a patch.

So I would kick back the ball of design work and correspondence with the patch company back to you and would offer to sponsor (PM to Dan-Sam) € of the project.
    Last edited by Marechallannes; 08-16-2017 at 01:30.

Guys, what's decided for campaign? It's near

As far as I know we have one Red Baron mission that the Czech comrades tested.

Besides this I get a request to take over the "leading part" for the campaign...

Besides this I get a request to take over the "leading part" for the campaign...
    Just don't bomb the toilets Sven

Just don't bomb the toilets Sven

A short strafing run should be manageable.

Now I made a mark in my calendar...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-15-2016, 17:19
  2. Prager SummerCon 2015
    By Marechallannes in forum German Wing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-22-2015, 06:12
  3. A-H Campaign from SummerCon 2013
    By Marechallannes in forum WGF: After Action Reports