Ares Games

Thread: For King and Country May 20, 2017

Default For King and Country May 20, 2017

Attended the Tri-City Wargamers themed meetup on Saturday and I ran 3 sessions of Wings of Glory with my friend Allan Noordvyk. We were joined again by the three teenaged Amigos Tyler, Kevin, and Andrew as well as Len Zigante. We were also joined by 2 first timers, Harvey and Tom.

1. Air Raid Cambrai - 8 players. x2 F2B's x2 Airco DH4 vs. x4 Fokker DVII - found this scenario on the Aerodrome. Entente had the victory, they bombed their target and only lost 1 DH4 to a fuel tank/bombload explosion. We shot down 2 Fokker DVII's.

2. Air Raid on the Italian Front 1917 - 6 players. x1 Gotha bomber, Albatross D.III, Phonix D.I, x2 Aviatik D.I's. vs. x3 Hanriat HDI's, x2 Spad XIII, x1 Neiuport 17. Central Powers had to bomb 1 of 3 targets, and exit 3 planes. Entente made quick work of the Central.Powers, shooting g down an Aviatik, then my Phonix , and finally my Albatross D.III.

3. Dawn Patrol over Ypres: 6 players: 3 Fokker Dr.I's vs. x3 Sopwith Triplanes. 2 Fokkers charged head on at the Sopwith Triplanes while my Fokker sliced in from the flank. The Sopwith Triplanes made quick work of the Germans and my I was the last Fokker flying and was shot down trying to get back to friendly lines.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/album.php?albumid=3972

Thumbs up

Well that was a great result for the Allies in all three games.
    You managed to get a good roll up of players including some newbies so "Well Done"

I was not sure how the Allies would fare against the Fokker DVII's given that the actual fight this mission was based on had the Fokker's down 3 of the 4 Allied planes. We decided to hug the north side of the map and stay in a tight mutually supportive formation. This was working great till Len's Fokker drove head on into and through the middle of our formation. There was no way Len should have survived such a charge but he did and he caused our formation to break up. Len's fellow Fokker's sliced in to our right flank and Harvey's D.H4 drew the boom card. Allan and Tyler did their best to keep the Fokker's off me as I drove on the target. I over flew the target the first time, and as I circled back, Kevin and Andrew's Fokker's were all over me. As it turned out, I kept drawing 0's. Len was blown out of the sky and Tyler decided to head for home with Tom's Fokker in close pursuit. Kevin's Fokker was shot down and Andrew was in pursuit of Allan's F.2B. Tom realised he was never going to catch Tyler and he turned back on me, but by this point, I was a turn away from getting clear. Tom got on my 6 but he was riding me so close, that he was overlapping my base and not able to shoot at me. This scenario was lots of fun.
    Last edited by BobRoberts; 05-23-2017 at 10:10.

Sounds like a busy day crammed with action over a couple of fronts, well done for 'flying the WoG flag' Rob

Sapiens qui vigilat "He is wise who watches"

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 04-05-2014, 04:17
  2. 'Your Country Needs You' poster a myth?
    By Baldrick62 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-06-2013, 19:49
  3. Back in country
    By Kahlerclan in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-03-2011, 20:30
  4. Site: New Country flags
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 09-05-2010, 03:18