Ares Games

Thread: Rise of Flight

sucklingpig

Default Rise of Flight

Does anyone play the WWI flight simulator, "Rise of Flight"? I was thinking of investing. Thought I'd get input from my wings of war brothers before proceeding.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Bruno_Stachel
    Sorties Flown

I play RoF. It is beautiful looking, has some great realistic touches and for the most part, the aircraft feel right. Still waiting for a decent career mode (at present the career mode is provided by a third party bit of software).

The developers are active and continue to release new aircraft and enhancements every 6-8 weeks. Talking of which, unlike with Red Baron II or CFS, you need to purchase individual aircraft in order to be able to use them. Average prices are $3 per aircraft but they do offer bundles as well. The next aircraft set for release is the Handley Page O/400 which will be the first player flyable multi-crew aircraft. That is $12 as the pre-order deal.

Seems to have a fairly good online community but I haven't tried any online flying in RoF yet (used to fly in RBII online but these days I have enough online gaming from LOTRO).

Haven't played RoF. There is WoV (wings of valor) which moves RB II to a new level. Here's their link: http://www.wings-of-valor.net/

Also, "Over Flanders Fields" apparently has a campaign mission. Here's their link: http://www.overflandersfields.com/info.htm I haven't played OFF and would like to hear back from anyone who has.

Default Worth the investment

I purchased the ROF Iron Cross Edition a while back, and it is great. It seems a whole lot tougher to fly these on screen than in Wings of War The assessment from Schwerpunkt is bang on, and it appears that the career mode is making progress. The missions are good, certainly much better than my flying. There are also free manuals for a number of planes on the ROF website, and they are very helpful as the planes do reflect some of the difficult handling of the originals. I discovered the Camel manual after spinning out of control a number of times, and the tips in there helped me to correct the spins before a major faceplant.
    I'd suggest a visit to the website and a look at some of the postings, as well as the screenshots from the recent aerial combat competition. They also make great wallpaper! Also, check out the YouTube postings as there are tutorials and combat videos. Many of the skins are online as well, and you can replicate most of the pilots on the appropriate planes. And I can't imagine anyone who survived Red Baron not enjoying this program, as it has beautiful graphics (as long as your PC has sufficient capacity to use all the options).
    I got mine at GameStop (here in the states) and received a free Albatros D.II as part of the package. I beleive it is definitely worth the investment, and like Schwerpunkt, I have not had the courage to get online with some of the guys that duel there.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Troy
    Sorties Flown

I have purchased both Rise of Flight and Over Flanders Fields. Of the two I would have to say that OFF offers the better play value. RoF is great eye candy and does play well for a true flight simulator, but for campaign and aircraft availability for flying, I would go with OFF.

Based on the info here, I decided to buy these games, I am looking forward to their delivery.

Lucky.

I have never any of the above sims... but now that I have built this very spiffy new Windows 7 PC with a killer Graphics card, I may have to start investing...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

makes me want to invest in a new PC myself. I would love to have a good WWI flying game.

Anyone wanting this in the UK, send me the postage and the game is yours.

It is a beautiful game but I found it far too realistic and I suspect that unless you are a hard core air enthusiast with the best joystick and that thing that allows you to turn your head and see to the side, behind and down etc. it is going to be a long, hard, learning period.

I have tried several times to go back to it but each time became only more frustrated and now it is gathering dust beside my super dooper joystick.

I also found trying to play online, which was the main thing for me, very disappointing, most servers have all the realistic buttons ticked, so you really have to be good to get up and into a fight. Forget surviving.

So, as I have said before, my offer still stands, send me the postage and it is yours, you might have to use my login but I am not bothered about that. Hell, I can even come to an agreement on the super dooper, programmable joystick.

Similar Missions

1. AAAaaaaaargh Rise of Flight!
    By Belis4rius in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-03-2010, 00:31
  2. Rise of Flight
    By Seiseki in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 03-19-2010, 04:10