Ares Games

Thread: New airframes painted

Default New airframes painted

Mentioned this on another thread for July projects but thought I would also throw em up on the proper thread. Got 2 new Shapeways planes finished this week.

Attachment 228051

Attachment 228052

Attachment 228053Attachment 228054

RAF BE2e and a Vickers gunbus
    Last edited by Shadowcat; 07-15-2017 at 01:18. Reason: %$#@ Spelling

Excellent effort, great to see the Shapeways having their day! Time was when that was all we had for a long time . . . are we getting spoilt with all the new releases? Love the fabric on the Vickers!

Very nice Ken

"He is wise who watches"

2 beauties! Very well done.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Great weathering on those -- I like a plane that looks like it has seen a bit of use.

Lovely!! Particuarly like the Gunbus cheers for sharing!

Daryl the Shapeways website can use the pics if they want for examples. I did notice there was already a Gunbus though and a nice one at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Daryl the Shapeways website can use the pics if they want for examples. I did notice there was already a Gunbus though and a nice one at that.
    Thanks! If I can get a sharp picture of a well-painted miniature, I always prefer that to the computer-rendered pictures on my Shapeways catalog.

Truth be told a well painted fig says a LOT more about the quality of what you are ordering. The renders always are questionable in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Truth be told a well painted fig says a LOT more about the quality of what you are ordering. The renders always are questionable in my opinion.
    Agreed. The renders show what the unpainted miniature could look like with a perfect, infinitely-detailed print; and Shapeways has a long way to go to achieve that ideal! (Even in FUD, much less WSF.)

I echo the Shapeways comments. They are fun to work with, but a challenge to get a good looking product (see my Caudron Journey). These are two wonderful examples of what can be done with Shapeways. I have a Be2 also, but the Vickers is not something I have seen before - excellent!! The weathering is great! REP coming

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801
    Love the fabric on the Vickers!
    This, especially: very well done depiction.

OK, since more then one has asked,,,smile

First step is to seal the fig both to fill in the gaps between plastic particles and to add strength to the model. I us Future floor polish to do the trick. I coat them around 6 times with light coats of polish and let each coat dry well before doing it again. THe trick is to try and even out the surface without filling in all the detail.

After it fully dries I use a flex file (U shaped handle with a thin strip of sandpaper covering the open end) To sand off the grainyness. Main targets are wing surfaces, tail surfaces, and the body of the plane. Pay close attention to the leading and trailing wing edges as that is where you can oversand and take out detail or change the shape of the wing.

After sanding it is prime and basecoat with my paints (mostly army painter brand).

After the paint dries I use a wash of 90% water with roughly 10% future floor polish and black paint for pigment (Known as magic wash on the old Flames of War website) THis pools in the low points making the higher detail stand out.

After it fully dries I do a second wash with Warpainter Soft Tone (Small bottle- water based) As I like the double wash effect. It covers the whole model with a soft sepia tone giving it that dirty look. Be careful to not glob it or let it pool on the wing edges as it dries though.

Then I decal the model and use decal setter to properly get them to hug the surface of the model.

For the final stage I dust them using Tamiya DUsting compacts (looks like a makeup compact and works the same way) The dusting highlights the raised ares and give the model that gritty / Dusty look.

Final step is a dullcote flat sealer spray. The flat sealer makes the details pop and the colors look more real.

Hope this helps,

Attachment 228137
    Last edited by Shadowcat; 07-16-2017 at 10:56. Reason: adjusting details

Thanks Ken for the detail in the process, particularly the 90% wash! I am familiar with the Tamiya weathering "compacts" I used soot and rust quite a bit on my 350 scale (Academy) HMS Warspite.

Yep, they can be useful with tanks.
    Attachment 228368

Similar Missions

1. WGF Nine new Shapeways painted
    By Wombat in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-11-2012, 14:10
  2. Who has these planes painted up?
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 05-17-2012, 17:34
  3. Painted He-111s and Do-17s