Ares Games

Thread: Please explain gun jam cards.

Default Please explain gun jam cards.

For younger players: could someone clearly explain the difference and uses for the GREEN gun jam card versus the RED gun jam card?

From the Famous Aces and Watch You Back rulebook:

ON THE WAY TO BECOME ACES scenario

Special Rules: During the First World War, bullets were often produced by improvised workers aiming more to quantity than to quality. This caused machineguns to jam frequently, but some pilots checked every single bullet before taking off and discarded up to half of them. The Nieuport pilot of this scenario is one of them: when the Allied player fires, ignore the jamming cards with a green cross; the Nieuport jams only when a card with the red cross is picked up.

Hi Walt - in the general game there is no difference between the cards but in addition to the scenario Larry points out Andrea suggested an optional rule where a plane equipped with A guns could jam just one gun and either clear the jam as normal or fire using B deck damage cards. Have a look at this thread for other suggestions:
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1494

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by tuladin View Post
    From the Famous Aces and Watch You Back rulebook:

ON THE WAY TO BECOME ACES scenario

Special Rules: During the First World War, bullets were often produced by improvised workers aiming more to quantity than to quality. This caused machineguns to jam frequently, but some pilots checked every single bullet before taking off and discarded up to half of them. The Nieuport pilot of this scenario is one of them: when the Allied player fires, ignore the jamming cards with a green cross; the Nieuport jams only when a card with the red cross is picked up.
    Thanks tuladin! This leads us to ask.......does the Ace Skill of "Bullet Checker" also, then, get this advantage? Or is it isolated to this particular scenario? (I also suppose that one of the great things about the game is that this could be used as you see fit.....but we'd like to stay true to the original purpose).

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Hi Walt - in the general game there is no difference between the cards but in addition to the scenario Larry points out Andrea suggested an optional rule where a plane equipped with A guns could jam just one gun and either clear the jam as normal or fire using B deck damage cards. Have a look at this thread for other suggestions:
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1494
    Thanks Dave! Great info!

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Powell View Post
    ...does the Ace Skill of "Bullet Checker" also, then, get this advantage? Or is it isolated to this particular scenario?
    Yes, it is the 'Bullet Checker' Ace Skill, as in these rules from Nexus:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...do=file&id=218

We tried the 'only one gun jams' idea and found it was just too much to remember in the heat of a furious dogfight. So we keep it to 'bullet checker' aces only (not that we've ever had one)

Quote Originally Posted by tuladin View Post
    Yes, it is the 'Bullet Checker' Ace Skill, as in these rules from Nexus:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...do=file&id=218
    Thank you, Sir!

Walt,
    As others have said...bullet checkers get the green vard...which means their guns don't jamb on that occurence...red card, they do. We usually don't play with the "ace" attributes unless doing a campaign. So, we rarely have to remember this

Quote Originally Posted by MayorJim View Post
    Walt,
    As others have said...bullet checkers get the green vard...which means their guns don't jamb on that occurence...red card, they do. We usually don't play with the "ace" attributes unless doing a campaign. So, we rarely have to remember this
    Got it. Thanks!

We have been trying something different. If it is a "red" jam card it is bad new as your guns were hit by enemy fire and are jammed for 3 phases. If it is a "green" jam card it is good news as the other fellow's guns are jammed for 3 phases (they must have jammed while firing, though you still take the damage earned that shot). Keeps it interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by pkay View Post
    We have been trying something different. If it is a "red" jam card it is bad new as your guns were hit by enemy fire and are jammed for 3 phases. If it is a "green" jam card it is good news as the other fellow's guns are jammed for 3 phases (they must have jammed while firing, though you still take the damage earned that shot). Keeps it interesting.
    I like this. In fact, the boys and I were actually doing this by accident/default when we first started playing.

There's another ace ability called dedicated groundcrew that has the same effect IIRC

Dave,

Are you talking about ground based mg fire directed against aircraft? We've never played with "bullet checker" ground crews

Quote Originally Posted by AlgyLacey View Post
    There's another ace ability called dedicated groundcrew that has the same effect IIRC
    Quote Originally Posted by MayorJim View Post
    Dave,

Are you talking about ground based mg fire directed against aircraft? We've never played with "bullet checker" ground crews
    I think "dedicated ground crew" refers to the mechanics who maintain your plane between sorties - in other words, you have guys who do your bullet checking for you.

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Hey Dave! Spot on regarding the red and green crosses. That's how I've been playing them when we play WoW. It's more realistic.

Glad I came to this section. This is a question myself and my oppoent have been wondering about. Glad I found this site has been very helpful in a number of ways. Thanks guys for your help with things.