Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WGS Boxed Set Concepts

Default WGS Boxed Set Concepts

After playing out a Spanish Civil War mission a couple of weeks back I put together a mock up of what my ideal WGS Spanish Civil War boxed set would look like. Never one to exercise restraint when it comes to this game I also started looking at versions for the North African Campaign and the Battle of Kursk. I am posting them to promote discussion and to encourage other members to post their boxed set concepts.

Just like the Battle of Britain set which appears to be selling well by early accounts I would image they would be supported with squadron pack and special pack (bomber) releases.

Of course these would all come after the much anticipated 'Midway' release. Hmmm, maybe I should do a South West Pacific version as well....
    Last edited by Carl_Brisgamer; 04-10-2017 at 18:14.

Three insta-buys for me, there! Nice work!!

Quote Originally Posted by surfimp View Post
    Three insta-buys for me, there! Nice work!!
    I'd be in for all three as well. The fact that Andrea liked the concepts and wants to do what he can with them to drum up interest is very encouraging.

I like the look of the Kursk box set I would be buying 2 of those

Kursk for sure - can't do much on the Russian front with only Yaks so far.
    The Rudel Stuka would be a no-brainer.

I would also flesh out my few desert machines with the North Afrika set.

Probably 2 of each.

I do not have much interest in the Spanish Civil War, but your "mock ups" are very nice work, Carl.

Maybe Ares should come calling ....

As for other ides, (other than Midway, of course), how about fleshing out the Battle of Britain with a re-release of He.111 and Ju.88 and/or Do.17, either as a set or individual packs?

Nice artwork. The North African one could be expanded with Wellingtons or Blenheims too

Nice project, Carl.

I would buy all 3 deluxe sets.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Kursk for sure - can't do much on the Russian front with only Yaks so far.
    The Rudel Stuka would be a no-brainer.
    Get off the cannons and you have a normal Stuka.

The new decal concept would allow you to make different ones, too.
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Richard
    Sorties Flown

Battle Over Normandy
    P-47
    Typhoon
    FW190A
    BF109G

Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe
    Me163
    Me262
    P-51D
    P-47 Bubbletop

Battle in the Dark
    Ju88 Night Fighter
    Lancaster / Halifax

Korea MiG Alley (OK, we're really stretching things now, but the system seems well able to handle early jets, just need bigger cards):
    2x MiG-15
    2x F-86.

I'd buy 'North Afrika' and 'Kursk', but not SCW
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    I'd buy 'North Afrika' and 'Kursk', but not SCW
    Any particular reason SCW does not excite?

redbaron823

Would love to see Midway set

Quote Originally Posted by redbaron823 View Post
    Would love to see Midway set
    I am steering clear of 1942 Pacific as we know that one is in the pipeline already. I really hope there will be torpedo bomber rules.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Douglas-TBD-Devastator.jpg  

Users Country Flag

Name
    Richard
    Sorties Flown

Sold!

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    Any particular reason SCW does not excite?
    I just don't have any interest in that conflict (or time, or money, or space to store stuff).
    I know almost nothing about it.

Four years ago, I knew almost nothing about WW1 aviation.................................just look what happened!!!!!!!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

i like that secret weapons of the luftwaffe idea!!!

Where's the "Gran Chaco War" set? ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    I just don't have any interest in that conflict (or time, or money, or space to store stuff).
    I know almost nothing about it.

Four years ago, I knew almost nothing about WW1 aviation.................................just look what happened!!!!!!!
    What he said - with maybe a few less

The SCW is one of the most interesting times of all, for me, because you've got "perfected" biplanes against early monoplanes, all with roughly equal armament. It's very much the spiritual heir of WGF - super agile planes that are also quite fast, but don't do so much damage that fights are over in just one or two passes. Basically, if you like flying the Fokker D.VII, Snipe, SE5a, etc., then the SCW era is all that and more. How I see it, anyways.

I love the motivation of the SWOTL set (adored that videogame as a kid), but not sure I'd actually like playing it - the speed differences might be really annoying, and "shoot the ME-262 on landing" scenario would get old pretty quickly

And, shouldn't the Kursk set really be something like 3 Sturmoviks and one Bf.109G ?

Quote Originally Posted by surfimp View Post
    And, shouldn't the Kursk set really be something like 3 Sturmoviks and one Bf.109G ?
    Gustavs are coming up

You bloody devil! This is...this is...this...uaaaa! I want at least Overlord and Kurs! Ares, shut up and taky all my money!

Something is missing...

Something that happened 1944 in the Phillippine Sea...

Carl,
    Ares should hire you as an Idea man. I would not hesitate to buy any one of those ( more like all of those). I do like the SCW idea you have.

Thanks Bob. As a player these are sets I would be happy to buy, and if you are trying to sell an idea a picture is worth a thousand words.

As for the cover images, well half the fun in creating these boxes is looking for appropriate artwork - the artists who create these images are a very talented bunch!

Thanks Bob. As a player these are sets I would be happy to buy, and if you are trying to sell an idea a picture is worth a thousand words.

As for the cover images, well half the fun in creating these boxes is looking for appropriate artwork - the artists who create these images are a very talented bunch!
    I really like the concepts, but as deluxe boxed sets, you'd end up with lots of duplicated stuff, buying each.

Awesome images, nonetheless. And a good selection of planes.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Awesome images...... And a good selection of planes.
    Thanks Mike. I have to spend some gaming time prepping for Briscon in two weeks so that will be it for now. Of course if anyone else wants to post their concept box images go right ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    I really like the concepts, but as deluxe boxed sets, you'd end up with lots of duplicated stuff, buying each.
    One of the complaints by new players is they didn't like the RAP because they can't play out of the box. If Ares brought out a campaign themed boxed set every year or so the new players would be happy and the veterans would likely buy them anyway because you are getting four new planes as well as rules/pieces for about the same price as buying four new squadron pack planes.

how about a secret weapons of the japanese air forces. with Kyūshū J7W1 Shinden, Nakajima Kikka vs an f7f tigercat and f8f bearcat.

or a 1ST jets with horton 229 and he 162 vs a p-80 and gloster meteor.

Shades of Luftwaffe 46! I am going to steer clear of 'what ifs' and experimental aircraft. I do have an idea for jets that saw service however, but I will save that for later.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Lucas
    Sorties Flown

Vietnam. MiG-21 and MiG-17 vs A-4 and F-4. Sounds like a stretch but would probably be the best place to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Ninja View Post
    Vietnam. MiG-21 and MiG-17 vs A-4 and F-4. Sounds like a stretch but would probably be the best place to start.
    I was thinking somewhat earlier than the 1960's

Users Country Flag

Name
    Lucas
    Sorties Flown

I was thinking somewhat earlier than the 1960's
    Well yeah, we are a little ways away from jet combat but I still can dream. Vietnam would be almost perfect because of it's diversity and the aircraft used span decades of technology and methods of combat.
    F-4: USAF, USN, USMC, Israel, and Iran have all used the F-4 in different iterations throughout the Phantoms history. Also it brings BVR and a NFO or CSO into the fold.
    A-4: USN, USMC, Israel, and Argentina all got combat usage. Can be used as a strike aircraft or even introduce guided munitions. Bonus mini can be an OpFor DACT scheme too.
    MiG-17 and MiG-21: Who haven't these guys fought against? We have a subsonic dogfighter responsible for taking down the best fighter the U.S.A. could produce at the time (F-4) and it's supersonic partner in crime which became the Ak-47 of missile boats. Seemingly given away at whole sale you can have dozens of factions to pick from which are currently too numerous to list.
    But if only wishes were fishes.

I have not jumped into the WW2 sets yet but this makes my mouth water! I love the concept and this would pull me in for sure.

Oh BTW great work on these concepts!

Do not talk about Mig-21! Please! Be quiet! Love this simple plane - when you hear it once, you are lost...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mig21mf-7701-czech-air-force-cef-mimo-letiste.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	198.6 KB 
ID:	221013

They look great concepts Carl - guess they would take care of Ares' next 30 years of WGS production !

"He is wise who watches"

Looking at this again I recognize the SCW and Kursk art. To comment on what Mike said about duplicates it could be the same concept as the BoB set. You get the starter and they make the other planes without markings but supply decals for other planes. There are so many possibilities and I think a gold mine for ARES. The I-15 and I-16's in the SCW set could be expanded for a China/Japanese set. More possibilities.

OK, to quote Pokémon, "I have to catch them all"
    Karl'
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Users Country Flag

Name
    Lucas
    Sorties Flown

I always thought a bomber and dedicated interceptor would be a cool combo pack
    Fw 190 A-8/R8 Sturmböcke & B-17
    Ki-61KaiD (or J2M variant) & B-29
    Hawker Hurricane (12 .303 variant or 4 20mm cannon variant) & Ju-88 or He-111

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Ninja View Post
    I always thought a bomber and dedicated interceptor would be a cool combo pack
    Fw 190 A-8/R8 Sturmböcke & B-17
    Ki-61KaiD (or J2M variant) & B-29
    Hawker Hurricane (12 .303 variant or 4 20mm cannon variant) & Ju-88 or He-111
    Hi Lucas, that idea is genius. It would be like the WGS Balloon Busters set, except I think it should be one bomber and two interceptors. I will definitely add those to the list.

The North African Campaign Box Set simply HAS to happen!

Default WGS Raid Pack - Ploesti concept packaging

Inspired by Lucas' post here is another WGS concept product - the Raid Pack. Smaller than a WGS Boxed Set, the Raid Pack would contain a bomber, two opposing fighters, rule sheet for the bomber, and like the Dambusters Lancaster a specific target map you could overlay on the playing surface. Posted for comment and discussion.

Name:	<acronym title=WGS Raid pack Ploesti.png  Views: 182  Size: 416.1 KB  ID: 221603" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Name:	<acronym title=WGS Raid pack Ploesti aircraft profiles.jpg  Views: 184  Size: 116.3 KB  ID: 221602" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Name:	Ploesti target map.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	299.7 KB 
ID:	221601
    Photograph of Ploesti after the raid - could be used as base for target sheet artwork.

Oh man these are awesome. I would buy one of each in an instant.

I think there are only two things missing from Ares at the moment.

1. Overall quality of most (not all) of the models. They just need to go back to paint, I don't how many times the 'unfinished edges' issue needs to be discussed before something is actually done.

2. Rate of releases which I think is very relevant to this thread. Seeing all these boxed sets released over the next 1-2 years would propel the game into unknown popularity imo. But realistically we can only hope these arrive within the next 10-15 years.

That said though only 2 things, we have very little to gripe about

Another great choice, Carl.
    Bring on the B-24

A Korean War set could contain a Mig-15, a Sabre, a Yak-9U or Lavotchkin La-11 and a Douglas Skyraider or a Hawker Sea Fury.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Damage cards in boxed sets
    By 'Warspite' in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-19-2014, 14:26
  2. WGF Just in case anyone is after a Deluxe boxed set:
    By Guntruck in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-24-2012, 02:46
  3. Boxed Sets Getting Reprints?
    By sparty in forum WGF: General Discussions