Ares Games

Thread: Ahoy from the wild and lonely North

nickypcouk

Default Ahoy from the wild and lonely North

Hello everyone.

I've got to say from what i've seen skulking around the periphery of the forum for a few months, i'm so impressed by the forum and the community.

I'm from the west coast of Cumbria. and picked up WoG in late February. and like probably most of us here, proceeded to open our wallets skyward.

I've only had a few games so far with my boardgame buddy, it's the first "miniature" wargame he's ever played. And the first i've played in over twenty years.

I'm pretty sure i'm sort of in love with it. I really love the elegancy of the card movement system and not having to fight on with tape measures or complex rules. It frees up your brain to 100% tactical thought and enjoyment.

now where did i put my flying goggles....

Welcome to the Aerodrome Nicky. Hopefully you'll be close to some more Wings pilots. You're in good hands over there and will be treated well in the Mess.

Welcome to the 'drome Nicky from a sunny East Sussex today, the wallet thing is very common ....models come out...money goes out !

"He is wise who watches"

May I now welcome my latest Wingman formally to the Drome gentlemen.
    On behalf of the Squadrons based here in Dear old Blighty welcome Nicky.
    The bar in the Mess is open and the first round is on me.
    Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Here is the list of members from Cumbria Nicky.
    A warning. Not all of them are still active but a PM may arouse the slumbering.

Rob.

Cumbrian Flight. 8
    p andygar
    * Big Bald Al.
    * Dayglo Sword.
    p MagpieGamer
    p majormartin
    * Mosstrooper.
    * nickypcouk
    p Redrevuk.

Welcome to the Drome Nicky from West Yorkshire.
    With your "Ahoy" opening greeting do I get the impression that you might have been on the Sails Website?
    Fly safe and always watch your six.

nickypcouk

Thanks all. No Ahoy is probably down to me currently binge-watching the piratey TV show, Black Sails!

Hi Nicky and welcome to the site. Now are you sure your on the right site Black Sails, great show, maybe you should be on Sails of Glory. Only joking, but you will find many people here also play Sails of Glory. Enjoy your stay, your in good company.

No pressure there then chaps!
    I must watch the latest series of Black Sails. I have had the boxed set for months.
    Rob.

Welcome to UK North of England Squadron Nick. I'm a bit bashed up having just had part of the old undercarriage replaced. If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask. There will always be so.done with an answer or will point you in the right direction.

Don't know where exactly you are located but if you're up for a foray to Doncaster in Sept the UK Wing are having their annual bash at South Yorks Air Museum.

Be well fly safe Wat h your 6.

Neil
    See you on the Dark Side......

Welcome to the 'Drome, Nicky!

Just a quick bit of advice................................

NO SAILS!!!!!!

Seriously, don't mind me - the tablets don't work any more...........................

See you in the skies!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Welcome, Nicky, from across the pond in Orrygun.

Thumbs up

G'day Nicky & welcome to the 'drome on behalf of the Pilots who fly in NSW down in Australia.

Great place here with lots of info & files to help you enjoy the game even more.

Welcome to the Drome Nicky.
    There are several shows around the country where you can bump into forumites and say hello, but Doncaster is a special place where we binge on the game.
    It really is worth a look if you can.

Lest we forget

Welcome to the Aerodrome, Nicky, from here near Norwich.

Welcome to the madhouse that is the 'Drome, Nicky, from a suspiciously sunny Newark (and currently, physically, Shardlow).
    The guys on here are seriously helpful if you have any questions to ask

Ni Nicky, welcome from Essex.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

And its a hello and big welcome from the South West - Devon - Nicky. Enjoy

Also welcome from Doncaster - home of the annual get together

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Welcome to the road to perdition. Soon you will have a flying helmet (or Pickelhaube) on your head, a pair of sturdy goggles, and a habit of uncontrollable drooling and making incomprehensible noises whenever a new series of Wings of Glory is released. You will also be broke. Just like the rest of us here!

nickypcouk

Again thank you all for the really nice welcome, it's quite humbling and such a great reflection on the whole forum when you go to join any other community and noone bothers to reply.
    and a habit of uncontrollable drooling and making incomprehensible noises whenever a new series of Wings of Glory is released. You will also be broke. Just like the rest of us here!
    it may be beyond that point already:

I just wish finding some of the older models like the Series 1 Camels and the DH2's was a lot easier.

Now and again people do move on and sell their collections on ebay or their local games stores. In a few years you will have them all

Drop Captain Kiwi a PM. Gary.
    He has found a new source near where he livs which may have a few older models.
    Rob.

There are a load of "dogfight doubles" on ebay at the moment - a seller in Scotland is disposing of boxed planes, in pairs to cut down on postage.

Some are already in the £40 range, but others have not yet received any bids at all.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Similar Missions

1. Lonely Sentinel- Burning Drachens
    By Twisted_terrain in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-08-2014, 00:51
  2. Origins 2013 - "Wild Wild East"
    By jbmacek in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-21-2013, 08:08
  3. The Wild, Wild East around 1920
    By Zoe Brain in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 34