Ares Games

Thread: Need help with Fokker D.VII repaints

Default Need help with Fokker D.VII repaints

Hi all,

I am about to embark on a great WOG quest involving a large batch of Shapeways planes, but most of my Shapeways planes are allied, and I need someone for them to fight. To that end, I want to do something with the several Ares Fokker D.VIIs I have lying around. I currently have two Saschenbergs, a Stark, and a Goering available for repainting.

I'd like to do Willi Gabriel, Lothar von Richthofen, Erich Lowenhardt, and Friedrich Friedrichs (a generic looking Jasta 10 plane to pair with Lowenhardt).

Problem is, I've never done a repaint of a D.VII that involved lozenge decals, so I'm a bit unsure of which ones to use. I know 1/144 direct and now AA have multiple options, but I'm having a bit of a time color-matching. Does anyone know which lozenge to use?

Also, any helpful tips on re-decaling Ares planes, particularly the tricky spots like the wings, would be appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by horsepyre View Post
    Also, any helpful tips on re-decaling Ares planes, particularly the tricky spots like the wings, would be appreciated!
    I'm interested in this also - I recently required some decals from Reveresco and would like some advice on applying the decals, especially around the struts.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...g-Thread/page4

Post #197
    Post #199

These are Shapeways planes, but the principle (and method) is the same when the planes are Nexus or Ares.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

I use a similar method to Tim. I make cardboard templates first and cut the decal to match.

I did make a template for the Shapeways D.VII kit which makes it so much easier but I think the fuselage is fatter on the ares model.

(Print image 6.15cm wide)

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...g-Thread/page4

Post #197
    Post #199

These are Shapeways planes, but the principle (and method) is the same when the planes are Nexus or Ares.
    This is perfect, thanks! I've looked through that thread a bunch of times but must have overlooked that post.

Good stuff Ian.

Now then, which lozenge patterns to use? I think I have some Valom D.VII decals somewhere in my collection as I ordered one of those kits some years back, but I'm still not confident in which lozenge pattern to use for the planes I want (LVR, Lowenhardt, Friedrichs, Gabriel).

I am working on 6 jasta 30 and 6 jasta 19. I am repainting official models and have upper wing decals if you want them. I scaled them to fit almost exactly. All you do is print on decal paper. Just let me know if you want them, I can send them to you.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170413_210218.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	183.7 KB 
ID:	221093Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170413_210149.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	195.1 KB 
ID:	221094
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20170413_210552.jpg  

Similar Missions

1. WGF Fokker DVII Repaints
    By Canuck in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 03-12-2013, 13:58
  2. Calling all Fokker Dr.1 Repaints
    By Canuck in forum Hobby Room