Ares Games

Thread: Spitfire, Wings of War vs Wings of GLory

Default Spitfire, Wings of War vs Wings of GLory

I was late to getting into WGS. I tried to fight it and stay only with WWI but grew weak and am now immersed in WW2 airplanes along with WWI. (not a complaint!) Until the recent BoB release I only had one older Spitfire from a Wings of War deluxe set. Upon opening the new Spitfire I noticed it has 2 more cards in the maneuver deck. The new Spitfires have one more (5 total) turn cards in each direction. I guess I'm lucky to only have to only make one pair of cards to update my Spitfire to current standards. Interesting that ARES has given the Spitfire another turning option improving its maneuverability.

There was a discussion about this, buried in the Battle of Britain thread somewhere. The Spitfire was supposed to be more maneuverable than the Bf-109, and this was the fix. It comes with an optional equipment card to balance this, the sputtering engine.

As stated by the designer, you can consider the Nexus plane as the pre- constant speed propeller version. Not as satisfying as a fully maneuverable Spitfire, IMHO. I have four Spitfires.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

If previously discussed I missed it. I don't think adding one turn card R&L is a big deal, until I get to fly a Spit and use it!

I have an undisclosed number of Nexus Spitfires.

I hope the task of providing them all with extra turn cards is not an onerous one.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    If previously discussed I missed it. I don't think adding one turn card R&L is a big deal, until I get to fly a Spit and use it!
    Originally mentioned in that thread at: WGS - Battle of Britain Update - Post 263
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post

I hope the task of providing them all with extra turn cards is not an onerous one.
    I foresee sleeved cards and a common home-printed backing for all, to hide the new turn card. PITA!
    Mike

Moving forward I plan to handle differences in the Spitfires with the point system. The BoB planes have a different cost so comparing 2-3 of my original planes, the new Spits, and 109's will mean different skill amounts to level the point values.

The point system has created a perception shift for me. Of course the Zero seems inferior to the F-4 until you start bridging that point gap with abilities like Sniper. Zeros as printed are better than people give them credit for as long as the point system is used.

I am not trying to derail the discussion away from modifying cards, rather looking at alternatives to balancing planes. Even with more complex missions that include bombers I think the point system provides a valuable guideline.

Where is a step off a soap box emoji when you need it?

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post

I've got a load of Nexus Spits as well, so not an impossibility, I would say

Anybody else noticed the incorrect wing type for the Mk I Spit?
    Last edited by Guntruck; 04-03-2017 at 12:53.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

I have 7 originals, (2 of each plus the one from the Deluxe Set) 7 new ones and 6 Mk IX

Haven't had a chance to compare them at all yet.

I venture to sat that Tim has a few more than me ....

Wait for it .....

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    I have 7 originals, (2 of each plus the one from the Deluxe Set) 7 new ones and 6 Mk IX

Haven't had a chance to compare them at all yet.

I venture to sat that Tim has a few more than me ....

Wait for it .....

I believe you are correct, Sir......................................
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

So I'm shure the "new" Mitsubishi Zeroes will get an upgrade for their movement decks, too.
    Voilā le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    So I'm shure the "new" Mitsubishi Zeroes will get an upgrade for their movement decks, too.
    That would be nice. I've made the house rules additional cards for all my Zeros. If the new Zeros have different cards I'll have to get my printing press out of the closet.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post

Don't have any minis, so only looking at online images. To what do you refer?

Potential Reference: Spitfire Site - Concise Guide to Spitfire Wing Types

Perhaps that the mini appears to have a Mk. II wing?
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 04-04-2017 at 10:32.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Tokhuah View Post
    Moving forward I plan to handle differences in the Spitfires with the point system. The BoB planes have a different cost so comparing 2-3 of my original planes, the new Spits, and 109's will mean different skill amounts to level the point values.

The point system has created a perception shift for me. Of course the Zero seems inferior to the F-4 until you start bridging that point gap with abilities like Sniper. Zeros as printed are better than people give them credit for as long as the point system is used.

I am not trying to derail the discussion away from modifying cards, rather looking at alternatives to balancing planes. Even with more complex missions that include bombers I think the point system provides a valuable guideline.

Where is a step off a soap box emoji when you need it?
    Just looked this over, and Andrea has adjusted the Nexus planes for lower points compared to the Ares planes. Interestingly enough, I have two of the Nexus Mk. IIs, and two Nexus Mk. Is. I have that pre-order of the Starter Set coming, by slow boat from Montreal, which contains two Mk. Is. So, if I wanted, I could swap out the two new Ares Maneuver decks with my Nexus Mk. IIs, and I would be all good for versions and abilities (well, sort of).

Point System for WW2 Wings of Glory
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Don't have any minis, so only looking at online images. To what do you refer?

Potential Reference: Spitfire Site - Concise Guide to Spitfire Wing Types

Perhaps that the mini appears to have a Mk. II wing?
    Steve,
    Can you clarify your issue using the wings below?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wing_abc.png 
Views:	181 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	220420

There were upper-wing landing gear blisters in the early wings, due to the very thin wings on the Spitfire. Not until the appearance of later marks did they disappear:

From the above linked reference:
    The undercarriage mountings were redesigned and the undercarriage doors were bowed in cross section allowing the legs to sit lower in the wells, eliminating the upper-wing blisters over the wheel wells and landing gear pivot points.

The revised, strengthened undercarriage legs were raked 2 inches (5.08 cm) further forward, making the Spitfire more stable on the ground and reducing the likelihood of the aircraft tipping onto its nose.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 04-04-2017 at 17:04.
    Mike

Users Country Flag

Name
    Richard
    Sorties Flown

The bulges are too big, too far aft and too far outboard to be the wheels - they do look like the cannon blisters on the C-type wing shown.

Not, I should say, that it really bothers me - you do have to peer pretty hard to see it. you can make it out on this picture from the ares site. near wing, in the green area, straight up from the roundel.

Name:	800x600-ww2_wings_of_glory-WGS003A_2.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	220426

Steve,
    Can you clarify your issue using the wings below?

Name:	wing_abc.png 
Views:	181 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	220420

There were upper-wing landing gear blisters in the early wings, due to the very thin wings on the Spitfire. Not until the appearance of later marks did they disappear:

From the above linked reference:
    Mike, it has the Mk V cannon blister (without the cannon) as well as the landing gear blister.

Mike, it has the Mk V cannon blister (without the cannon) as well as the landing gear blister.
    The image quality and angle are louzy, but is there a blister within the red circle on the image below?

Name:	800x600-ww2_wings_of_glory-WGS401ABlister.png 
Views:	172 
Size:	248.8 KB 
ID:	220493

If so, this is yet another black mark on Ares quality control issue, and that means the Spitfire is not exempt from errors. Such as the bombs on the other two fighters, which never carried them.
    Mike

Such as the bombs on the other two fighters, which never carried them.
    Hurricanes never carried bombs?
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Such as the bombs on the other two fighters, which never carried them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Hurricanes never carried bombs?
    Karl
    Karl,
    Do you have any references indicating that British squadrons using Mk. I Hurricanes ever flew missions with bombs? Mk. IIs may have, after the Battle of Britain, when employed in the ground attack role. But, certainly never when intercepting attacks of fighters and bombers.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Mike

Interestingly, I dugout a Nexus Spitfire I earlier, and that has the offending bulges as well.

Karl,
    Do you have any references indicating that British squadrons using Mk. I Hurricanes ever flew missions with bombs? Mk. IIs may have, after the Battle of Britain, when employed in the ground attack role. But, certainly never when intercepting attacks of fighters and bombers.

What Mike said.

Interestingly, I dugout a Nexus Spitfire I earlier, and that has the offending bulges as well.
    GACK! How did we all miss this!

Name:	WWS_Spitfire-Wing2.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	137.8 KB 
ID:	220516
    Overlaid on my Nexus Spitfire are outlines of the "C" wing on the left, with the Cannon blister in the center of the wing, and the "A" wing on the right, with the four MG service panels visible aft of the leading edge panel. Clearly visible under the overlay on the right is a Cannon blister! The inner two MG service panels are missing on both wings, as well, clearly indicating a "C" wing by panels, even without the cannon fairing.

Steve is right about the Nexus Spitfire Mk IIs having Cannon blisters, even though the leading edge is painted with the four MG gun ports.

We are all responsible for this screw-up!
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 04-05-2017 at 20:12.
    Mike

Wings C S I ! Love it, most likely a CAD drawing/flip error . . . . My elves have done it too .. . .

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Wings C S I ! Love it, most likely a CAD drawing/flip error . . . . My elves have done it too .. . .
    Well, for those that want to add the cannon fairing to the leading edge, a Mk V Spitfire conversion would be a snap!
    Mike

Karl,

Specific to Aug-40 to Sep-40 from the UK, probably not.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

For those that may have missed it in other threads, I have done a few things that might help with the Nexus Spitfire Maneuver Deck thing.

WGS A MATES cards?

Sashdash's cards (Scroll down for a few more decks. More to follow, eventually)

Wings of War Deck Upgrade:

Updated WWS A Maneuver Deck (Complete with the 60 degree turns, and with a bunch of climbing and diving turns thrown in)
    Mike

How about fixing the different climb rates problem by having equipment cards for the different types of propeller on the Spitfire Mk. I? Obviously, we can house rule it.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    How about fixing the different climb rates problem by having equipment cards for the different types of propeller on the Spitfire Mk. I? Obviously, we can house rule it.
    Wording?
    Mike

Similar Missions

1. National: Wings of Glory / Wings of Past / Wings of Money
    By gratefulbob in forum Italian Wing
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-21-2017, 10:38
  2. National: Wings of Glory a Napoli - Wings of Glory in Neaples
    By Angiolillo in forum Italian Wing
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-06-2016, 02:02
  3. List of ALL WWII Wings of War/Wings of Glory Airplanes
    By Dwarflord22 in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 3