Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battle of Britain Spitfire, Hurricane and Bf.109 Squadron Packs - finished w/ decals

Default Battle of Britain Spitfire, Hurricane and Bf.109 Squadron Packs - finished w/ decals

Finished up my squadron packs of Spitfires, Hurricanes and Bf.109Es with the supplied decals and thought I'd share photos for anyone interested!

Was my first time decaling WWII planes this small, used Microset, a brush, and an X-acto (to position) and it worked out great. Very happy with the results, we've already been getting some fun games in!

P.S. - Sharp eyes will see I've included the planes from the BoB starter set as well. They go nicely together with the planes from the squadron packs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5036.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	252.6 KB 
ID:	220347

Name:	5037.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	204.6 KB 
ID:	220345

Name:	fr_5039_size880.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	170.0 KB 
ID:	220346

Thumbs up

Great work with the decals Steve. Look super.

Thanks! My son pointed out that I'd left off the tail flashes from Kent's Hurricane (the one with the red stripe under the horizontal stabilizer). I've since corrected the omission.

I think the decals look great, but noted the following quibbles with them:

Spitfires: The height of the squadron marking letters is taller on the squadron pack decals than on the BoB starter planes. They fit, but not quite as tidily.

Bf.109s: The BoB starter planes have a strong black stroke around the aircraft number. The squadron pack decals have a stroke, but (on mine anyways) it was much lighter. This makes the numbers stand out better on the BoB starters than on the squadron packs (IMO). Conversely, the yellow color was stronger on the decals than on the BoB starter.

Hurricanes: Unlike the Spitfire squadron packs, the Hurricanes come with cockades pre-applied to the fuselage sides. This is nice, but does limit and constrain somewhat the placement of the squadron markings, sometimes making it impossible to perfectly match the supplied decal placement guide (when the prototype has the fuselage cockage located further aft, for example).

None of these are a big deal at all. I found the decals very easy to apply, and I've not applied a waterslide decal in 30 years or more. And they look great once applied. It was fun to be able to pick the markings and it really looks great to see them all "up" together.

Edited to add one very good thing I'd neglected to mention previously:
    One really strong positive of the squadron pack decal plan is that each plane comes with sufficient decals to do any of the 5 schemes in the pack. Many of the schemes share common elements, so you've often got some redundancy if something goes south during application. And, of course, the more planes you buy, the more redundancy you have for each individual scheme. I found this knowledge great comfort during the application process, and did have to re-try a couple that went bad on me (this was rare, and entirely operator error, not the fault of the decals).
    Last edited by surfimp; 04-03-2017 at 14:41.

Good work, Steve!

They do indeed look just the ticket Steve. i must find time this week to get mine done.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Well done Steve!

three great-looking flights!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Nice job Steve. I found the finish on the Hurricanes and Spitfires a bit 'shiny' compared to the 109s, so after I applied decals I covered the cockpit glass with tape and sprayed them with Dullcote. This seals the decals and settles the shine nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    Nice job Steve. I found the finish on the Hurricanes and Spitfires a bit 'shiny' compared to the 109s, so after I applied decals I covered the cockpit glass with tape and sprayed them with Dullcote. This seals the decals and settles the shine nicely.
    It's a good suggestion and I was thinking to do the same.

Thanks all for the positive comments. These planes are all great fun on the table. Have already had a number of very BoB-themed engagements, seeing the Spits and Hurris face off (variously) against the Bf.109, Bf.110, Stuka and Heinkel He.111. They are giving a good showing of themselves - that consistent B deck damage is deadly!

They look good Steve. Still waiting for mine to turn up....
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    They look good Steve. Still waiting for mine to turn up....
    Me too......................

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

All of your planes are looking good Steve.
    Just need to find time to do mine now.

One really strong positive of the squadron pack decal approach Ares has taken, that I forgot to mention:

Each plane comes with sufficient decals to do any of the 5 schemes in the pack. Many of the schemes share common elements, so you've often got some redundancy if something goes south during application. And, of course, the more planes you buy, the more redundancy you have for each individual scheme.

I found this knowledge great comfort during the application process, and did have to re-try a couple that went bad on me (this was rare, and entirely operator error, not the fault of the decals).

Quote Originally Posted by surfimp View Post

I found the decals very easy to apply, and I've not applied a waterslide decal in 30 years or more.
    That statement helps me a lot.

Probably 45+ years for me ....

Yours look great, Steve. I will tackle mine later this month, I hope .

I've just put the decals on my Spitfires and 109s. They did dry very shiny and a couple of the RAF roundels didn't lie quite flat round the fuselage curves. A couple of coats of Coat d'armes Acrylic Matt Varnish did the trick - stuck them down and sealed them nicely.

LittleDogma

Beautiful work, I just got mine (Three new BF109 E-3 and three new Spitfire Mk1) I already have one yellow-nosed BF109 E-3 (Adolf Galland) and one Spitfire MkII I brought long time ago. I am looking forward to recreating a "Battle of Britain" over the Channel

anybody else decaled stukas yet and chose the sharkmouth option? im just curios if anyone else had a difficult time with it.

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    anybody else decaled stukas yet and chose the sharkmouth option? im just curios if anyone else had a difficult time with it.
    Yes you need to modify the decal before application for it to sit correctly. I cut out a section to allow the rest of the decal to go around the air intake.

i have used my surplus decals on my 3 Bader Hurricans. Not historically accurate but it works for me.

This morning I applied decals to a recently arrived pair of Messerschmitt Bf 109E-3s, which gives me two complete Schwärme of JG 2 aircraft.

Name:	IMG_0114.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	220.9 KB 
ID:	220616

I have twenty 'official' 109Es (plus two AIM miniatures in Legion Condor colours), but I'm not quite finished yet however. I still need a few more to flesh out Major Adolf Galland's JG26 Stab Schwarm (2), Hauptmann Balthasar's 1./JG1 Schwarm (1) and a JG2 Stab Schwarm (3), as well as a Katschmarek for Hauptmann Moelders (1) and Feldwebel Pankratz (1).

Name:	IMG_0116.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	232.2 KB 
ID:	220615

I hope demand does not outstrip supply!

Superb looking bunch of Fighters Carl.
    I'm just glad my chaps aren't on the receiving end.
    Rob.

They do look magnificent!

I hope to field a few aircraft at Briscon in a few weeks. I have 9 Luftwaffe bombers, 9 Stukas, 4 Bf 110s, 20 Bf 109Es, 10 RAF Hurricanes & 11 RAF Spitfires. There will be more by then, should be enough for a good scrap.
    Last edited by Carl_Brisgamer; 04-08-2017 at 06:57.

Thumbs up

Great force of German Aircraft for your BoB scenarios Carl.

How about showing the British opposition?

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post

What he said!

Great job everyone. The pics look great. A quick question, which is the best spray clear-coat to apply after the decals dry? Please be specific on name brand.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post
    Great job everyone. The pics look great. A quick question, which is the best spray clear-coat to apply after the decals dry? Please be specific on name brand.

Thomas
    I use Testors TS80 dullcote. Hold it about 6 inches back from the model, nice even runs left & right sides, top and underneath, remembering to mask the canopy. Dry in less than 30 minutes.
    Last edited by Carl_Brisgamer; 04-08-2017 at 18:31.

I'll post one tomorrow Baz

Yes you need to modify the decal before application for it to sit correctly. I cut out a section to allow the rest of the decal to go around the air intake.

i didnt cut mine, i just did it incrementally using decal softener until it lay flat.

Just want to chime in and say that this BoB starter set has really got my passion for Wings of Glory WWII going strong.

In the past I'd had reservations about the system's 2 card planning mechanic, feeling it had a bit too much fiddlyiness (with the sorting through the deck after every maneuver) as compared to the 3 card system of WWI.

Happy to report that I've really come around on that score. Once I started thinking about how the 1-card-per-turn planning was in fact exactly the same "workload" as X-Wing - a game I've played loads - it seemed to help "let go" my need to compare WGF and WGS and just enjoy the WWII version for what it is. And it's quite good! Fast, brutal, a bit more tense - and quite fun!

It helps a lot that the planes in the BoB starter are just so well matched against one another. You've got the slightly higher risk/reward Bf.109E and its cannons versus the slow-and-steady eight .303 caliber machine guns of the Spitfire. One just a bit more agile than the other, but neither a slouch when it comes to turning. It makes for truly good gaming, in my experience, and I'm so glad to have gotten the set even though I've got the old WoW Dawn of War RAP as well as the existing WoG WWII RAP pack. Heck just means I've got that many more chits and rulers and whatnot to huck about!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post

Thomas
    G'day Tom!

I prefer to just brush clear coat on all my decals including the WW1 Shapeways models. Both Games Workshop & Vellijo Matt Varnish work fine.

Just want to chime in and say that this BoB starter set has really got my passion for Wings of Glory WWII going strong!
    Welcome to the Dark Side Steve I play both systems and I find WGS more challenging. The plethora of aircraft, choice of theatres and differences in gameplay from the Spanish Civil War 1936 right through to Defense of the Reich and the Pacific War 1945 give a variety you just don't get in WGF.

Here you go Barry, just Hurricanes (10) and Spitfires (11).

Name:	IMG_0124.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	219.5 KB 
ID:	220694

Name:	IMG_0125.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	250.1 KB 
ID:	220693

Carl that's amazing!

I received my two remaining Hurricanes and found some time this evening to decal them. Took 40 minutes total, including setup and putting away when done. It's easy and fun!

Name:	fr_5079_size880.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	225.5 KB 
ID:	220696

Welcome to the Dark Side Steve I play both systems and I find WGS more challenging. The plethora of aircraft, choice of theatres and differences in gameplay from the Spanish Civil War 1936 right through to Defense of the Reich and the Pacific War 1945 give a variety you just don't get in WGF.
    It's true! Quite a lot of aircraft to enjoy there. I have some Shapeways SCW Moscas and Bf.109Bs to finish up next!

Did you see this concept image I put together the other day and posted on an SCW AAR thread?

Name:	IMG_0126.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	108.6 KB 
ID:	220697

'Fake news' at the moment, but I hope this idea becomes reality one day!

Juan can dream, Carl

But they have a few others to finish first ...

But it is a nice mockup

Very cool! So fan sets are the new thing then? I have boxes of combos . . . . gotta get those elves to work!

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Very cool! So fan sets are the new thing then? I have boxes of combos . . . . gotta get those elves to work!
    Yeah baby let's get creative!! It's just concept art right? No pressure Ares

I actually think this could be a viable starter, would be good for incorporating slower aircraft.

I can see "Defending Berlin" Me.262's against P-51's . . . . "Doodle Bug Intercepts" Spits and V-1's . . . . "Tank Busting" Henschel 129's and Thunderbolts . . . . "Train busters!", 633 Squadron, "Sink the Bismark!" . . . .

Did you see this concept image I put together the other day and posted on an SCW AAR thread?

Me too... May I share around, crediting it to you? Maybe with a couple of the AAR photos too? They deserve to be seen more. On BGG for example, and on Facebook.
    Last edited by Angiolillo; 04-08-2017 at 23:58.

Not a Civil War of that period Buff myself, but even I might be tempted by that set if it came to fruition Carl.
    Rob.

I have a rough North African starter set image and one for the Battle of Kursk. Might set up another thread tonight.

North Africa! Now you are talking Carl.
    Rob.

SCW would be nice.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Oh you bad, bad man. That Fiat CR.32 is the only fascist aircraft that I've ever loved! It's a guilty pleasure but i can't help myself... what a plane!!

I would love to flesh out a fleet of Moscas and Chatos to fly versus some CR.32, He.51 and Bf.109-Bs. That's next up on my WGS wishlist!

Oh you bad, bad man. That Fiat CR.32 is the only fascist aircraft that I've ever loved! It's a guilty pleasure but i can't help myself... what a plane!!

I would love to flesh out a fleet of Moscas and Chatos to fly versus some CR.32, He.51 and BF-109Bs. That's next up on my WGS wishlist!
    I have two 1/200 scale miniatures (FUD Shapeways), they are tiny but look amazing.

Name:	IMG_9949.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	130.4 KB 
ID:	220751

Name:	IMG_9951.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	115.3 KB 
ID:	220750

Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo View Post
    Me too... May I share around, crediting it to you? Maybe with a couple of the AAR photos too? They deserve to be seen more. On BGG for example, and on Facebook.
    It is your game Andrea, please do as you wish with the image, particularly if it can help make it a reality!!

Thumbs up

Thanks Carl for posting that pic of your Spits & Hurrys!

The elves were wondering if anyone has matching Vallejo paint numbers for the Spits and Hurries? Not sure why, they are supposed to be soo busy . . .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Battle of Britain Squadron Packs - Hurricane, Spitfire, Bf109E and Ju87 Stuka
    By Carl_Brisgamer in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 140
    Last Post: 03-07-2018, 10:06
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-03-2017, 04:27
  3. Battle of France & Battle of Britain Hurricane squadrons
    By miscmini in forum United Kingdom
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-15-2017, 15:38
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-03-2016, 12:44
  5. Replies: 5