Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's on your workbench - April 2017

Default What's on your workbench - April 2017

The gnomes have been busy again purchasing LEGO parts. I see four propellers, but orange and gray? Sometimes I have no idea what they are up to.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0091.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	108.8 KB 
ID:	220328

This looks like a fuselage. It cannot be all bad.

Name:	IMG_0092.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	220329

Orange wings, but something seems to be missing.

Name:	IMG_0093.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	220330

That looks better except for the droop in the wings.

Name:	IMG_0094.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	220331

My version of the Loire et Olivier H-242 passenger seaplane of Air France. This airplane of the 1930s was based in Marseille and flew to North Africa and other ports on the Mediterranean Sea. In 1935 service was started to Hanoi in what was French Indo-China. The trip took seven days. That must have been quite the adventure.
    So how many books are in your personal library?

Impressive what can be done with LEGOS. There is another company that dose a similar thing but all military stuff.

<- trying to figure out how the wings are assembled, so as to eliminate the Droop

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    <- trying to figure out how the wings are assembled, so as to eliminate the Droop
    Rather than using Technic friction pins, I should have used axles inserted into bricks with axle holes. I understand that doesn't flex as much.

Just ordered some prop disks but have some to put on the first plane I finish which should be this week.

Quote Originally Posted by RJG173 View Post
    Rather than using Technic friction pins, I should have used axles inserted into bricks with axle holes. I understand that doesn't flex as much.
    [nod] There's the problem -- wings have spars; There Is A Reason For This. :) (Tho' does LEGO make axles that long?)

Good work, otherwise. Where did you get the parts?

I know wings have spars. My wings have spars, they just don't pass through the fuselage. In order to transport my airplanes to public events I made them with removable wings so they'll fit in paper boxes. If this model was to be displayed and never leave my home, then it would have been built differently.

Some parts came from my personal collection while others were purchased from "stores" all over the world via BrickLink.com.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Here's King Kong finished up and ready for his first match on the morrow - his building top is ready for occupation and whatever gymnastics he's going to go through to swat at those pesky little planes...

Name:	IMG_0825.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	160.6 KB 
ID:	220611

Here's a closer view of the two. You can see the 'travel/display' base for the Great Ape when he's not on his building top...

Name:	IMG_0826.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	170.8 KB 
ID:	220612

while this shows him on the building and ready for action...

Name:	IMG_0827.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	165.3 KB 
ID:	220613

with a Fokker Triplane for size comparison.

Name:	IMG_0830.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	152.0 KB 
ID:	220614

I'm looking forward to seeing how he does at our monthly gaming session tomorrow. I've modified the rules on the Forum a little, so we'll see how they work out. I shall post an AAR if I'm able to take some decent pictures, and at the least I'll add some comments to the California group's discussion of the Kong rules...

All the best,
    Matt

Nothing short of AWESOME Matt!

My elves have been awaiting my finger therapy but still a bit busy . . .

Hurricanes x 5 ;109-E x4; Ju88 x2; SpitsX2 . If I manage to finish all I will be happy

i am currently in the painting process of my eduard 1/48 scale Hanriot HD.1, the markings are for an Italian Hanriot and i was planning to convert it into a Belgian Hanriot but i was unable to find decals.

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Good to see the Dornier making progress, Dave! Keep those fingers flexing! I look forward to seeing the finished Guernica diorama - I'm sure it will be splendid

All the best,
    Matt

4 BE2's for "Bloody April" game at Salute - might not get them finished in time, though.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Default Defending The Netherlands

A variation on my theme of Dutch Aircraft defending The Netherlands in May 1940 ....

This time the Dutch Cavalry: a platoon of "Huzaren-Motorrijder" (Hussars mounted on motorbikes / -combinations) and a platoon of the "1. Eskadron Pantserwagens" (1st Squadron Armoured Cars) for Flames of War in 1/100 scale.

Name:	028.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	220699

The Huzaren-Motorrijder were mounted on BMW motorcycles so here they are based on the German Kradschützen made by Battlefront. Sidecars were altered and a Lewis gun (Battlefront) will replace the MG34's. Rider and passengers will have their equipment altered and have heads (already chopped off) replaced by Dutch helmeted heads (Peter Pig). The unit consists of 10 motorcycle combinations and 3 solo machines. One protype is already done.
    The armoured cars, called Paw M.36 (Pantserwagen M.36) by the Dutch, are Swedish Landsverk L 181. The models are from Great North miniatures and just need some detailing. Two of them have already been worked upon. The unit consists of 3 Paw. M36's

Hope you don't mind I'm not yet working on the Douglas 8A-3N's, but, rest assured they will be done .
    cheers,
    Guus
    Last edited by Aardvark1430; 04-09-2017 at 07:35.
    "zet 'm op ... witte muizen !" (strijdkreet van 1e JaVa, Luchtvaart Afdeling, Nederland 1940)
    "let's go get them ... white mice !" (battlecry of the 1st Fighter Group, Army Air Force, Netherlands 1940)

Here is part 1 of the three B-24 planes I bought from AIM. These are from the 320th BS and the decals are Goblin Factory that I got from Dave (AIM) when I bought the planes. I still have one more to decal but in a different paint scheme. The P-51 is a WOG model I just put with the two bombers.

Name:	IMG_4568.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	220764

Name:	IMG_4569.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	220765

Name:	IMG_4574.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	157.0 KB 
ID:	220766

I used the disks from the Aerodrome store to give them the look of propellers.
    Last edited by BobP; 04-09-2017 at 13:41.

Nice Liberators Bob, the AIM resin miniatures are such a pleasure to paint.

I just started work on a Revell 1/48 JU-87G-1 "tank buster". It's a 60's mold with a few gaps and barely any cockpit detail, yet I plan to finish it.

Nice work there with the Lego RJG173. At the moment I am touching up my BoB Hurricanes and putting the decals on, hard work with my shaky hands!

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    Here is part 1 of the three B-24 planes I bought from AIM. These are from the 320th BS and the decals are Goblin Factory that I got from Dave (AIM) when I bought the planes. I still have one more to decal but in a different paint scheme. The P-51 is a WOG model I just put with the two bombers.
    Liking these a lot Bob.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Those are very nice B-24's you've got there Bob
    cheers,
    Guus
    "zet 'm op ... witte muizen !" (strijdkreet van 1e JaVa, Luchtvaart Afdeling, Nederland 1940)
    "let's go get them ... white mice !" (battlecry of the 1st Fighter Group, Army Air Force, Netherlands 1940)

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Your AIM B-24s look great, Bob! AIM makes a lovely product, and your simple OD/grey scheme highlights the detail well.

All the best,
    Matt

When I get good comments from the guys that are artists on painting makes me feel good. Thanks for the remarks.

Here is the third B-24 I painted. Did it in a desert sand. Had a set of decals with names and another with pinups so put them on. All the photos I see on the B-24's in sand color have the tricolor id on the tail so I put one on. I think it had something to do with them being in the Med or North Africa but I only see it on the sand color planes.

Name:	IMG_4578.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	220998

Name:	IMG_4580.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	220999

Noticed I have to do a little touch up by the left waist gunner.

my Hanriot model has become a disaster. the paint job looks awful and the top wing is having some incredibly bad fit issues, i can't seem to get the thing to stay in one place! I'm either gonna scrap it or turn it into a diorama of a shot down plane. Either way, it's not going to end up the way i wanted it to...

I bought some F-Toys 1/144 CR42 kits to have them. I only have one done as it was so frustrating to get the wings on with all the struts that you have to put on them. I feel your pain.

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Great color on the B-24, Bob - reminds me of the "Strawberry Bitch" in the Air Force Museum

Max - we've all been there and done that - next time will be better...hang in there!

All the best,
    Matt

Matt
    One reason I painted her that color. The other one I thought of was The Lady Be Good. Somehow I lost my pics I took at the AF museum so have to make a return trip to Origins and get back there.
    The photos I see of B-24's show they have elaborate tail markings except in the Pacific.
    Last edited by BobP; 04-13-2017 at 14:06.

Working on 4 other AIM planes and hope to finish them this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    Max - we've all been there and done that - next time will be better...hang in there!
    Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'll see if I can save it!

Finally got the workbench back up and running. More 15mm cartoon tanks on the way.

Flags made from decal paper work a treat.

Ian

Now my order from Keith has landed safely, its time to start converting them for North Africa

Name:	April 1.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	108.2 KB 
ID:	221123

Name:	April 2.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	221124

the other two are a 109F for '42 and a 190A3 for '43

Lest we forget

Here's King Kong finished up and ready for his first match on the morrow - his building top is ready for occupation and whatever gymnastics he's going to go through to swat at those pesky little planes...
    I was just telling a friend, whose running WoG games, to do a battle with King Kong scenario. Matt, great idea!

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Great to see a post, Sue! Here are some happy snappies from our game this past Saturday - we did Bloody April vs. The 8th Wonder of the World...it was a lot of fun, and Kong was pretty impressive...

Name:	IMG_0840.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	201.8 KB 
ID:	221159

Name:	IMG_0839.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	219.1 KB 
ID:	221160

Name:	IMG_0838.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	218.1 KB 
ID:	221161

We played 5 of the 10-turn suggested scenario, just to get a feel for how things worked and what needed tweeking...I am looking forward to running this at Origins this year. I will post 'my' rules and variations soon so others can try/input/critique - he's a wonderful figure (from Crooked Dice Miniatures - and I think he's in scale with the Peter Jackson version of the story)...and the way 'my' rules have him moving randomly each phase worked quite well.

All the best,
    Matt
    Last edited by matt56; 04-15-2017 at 03:04.

The camo elves have been busy! I will need to resort to using masking tape on this scale my twitches get crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    The camo elves have been busy! I will need to resort to using masking tape on this scale my twitches get crazy!

That looks really nice! The elves did a great job on the camoflauge!

Nice photos Matt and David. That camo scheme gives me an idea for some of my Ju88's.

Well here are some other AIM planes I was working on. They are 4 Claude's (AIM) with decals from our own MISCMINI (Kevin).

Name:	IMG_4597.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	221203

Name:	IMG_4598.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	221204

Name:	IMG_4602.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	130.2 KB 
ID:	221205

The Claudes in formation and then flying cover for 2 Nell's.

When you only have limited time but really want to get some modeling done what are your options?

Re-decal! Turned my second Normandie-Nieman Yak-1B from 'white 11' to 'white 24' and P-40F of the Free French II/GC5 from 'white 6' to 'white 9'.

Name:	IMG_0132.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	155.1 KB 
ID:	221320

Name:	IMG_0133.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	129.6 KB 
ID:	221321

Name:	IMG_0134.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	125.8 KB 
ID:	221319

Continuing with my WW2 're-identification' program today I changed my second 135 Sqn RAF Thunderbolt from 'WK-L' to 'WK-A'. A lick of Tamiya dark brown over the 'L' on each side of the fuselage was a perfect match to the existing colour. 'A' letter decals are from Helmet 200 - http://www.helmet-aircraft-200.co.uk...ts/Shed-Dec020

Name:	Tbolt A.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	116.5 KB 
ID:	221522

I chose the 'A' identification latter because it was the only other 135 Sqn aircraft for which I could find photographic evidence.

Name:	Thunderbolt 135 Sqn RAF.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	167.3 KB 
ID:	221523

Just received word that my latest order from AIM is on the way (11 planes) so that will give me something to do over the next few weeks.

Working on this for upcoming games. It started out as a silver dragon. Should be done today sometime.

Name:	dragon1.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	338.4 KB 
ID:	221758

Name:	dragon2.jpg 
Size:	208.8 KB 
ID:	221759

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

That dragon is coming along nicely, Peter! Is he for the "Deutsch Dragons" scenario at Origins? P r e t t y cool...

All the best,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    Nice dragon Peter. Is it for that D&D game?
    I got it from Miniature Market. It's a D&D Attack Wing Silver Dragon. One of their daily sales so I got it on the cheap.

That dragon is coming along nicely, Peter! Is he for the "Deutsch Dragons" scenario at Origins? P r e t t y cool...

All the best,
    Matt
    Yes Matt, this is one of the Nazi hatchlings. Too bad this game is the same time as your King Kong.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Working on this for upcoming games. It started out as a silver dragon. Should be done today sometime.

Name:	dragon1.jpg 
Size:	338.4 KB 
ID:	221758

Name:	dragon2.jpg 
Size:	208.8 KB 
ID:	221759
    This should be able to take out an observation balloon quite easily.

First of the many 1/720" scale WWI from the nano-elves!

My hands and eyes hurt from this effort! But my wallet is very happy!

Finished the museum model and sent it on its way . . . would have liked to had a tail on it but it is going to be flying out of a photo on a wall . . .

Can't wait to see the final product in its position. Great job.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. What's on your workbench - March 2017
    By Aardvark1430 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 96
    Last Post: 04-01-2017, 00:46
  2. What's on your workbench - February 2017
    By Aardvark1430 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 110
    Last Post: 02-28-2017, 14:19
  3. What's on your Workbench - January 2017
    By David Manley in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 117
    Last Post: 01-31-2017, 12:43
  4. What's on your workbench for April 2016?
    By clipper1801 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 04-18-2016, 00:13
  5. What's on your workbench for April?
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 88
    Last Post: 05-04-2015, 00:49