Ares Games

View Poll Results: How do you play Wings of War? Minis, cards or both.

Voters
408. You may not vote on this poll
  • I play the game mainly with miniatures

327 80.15%
  • I play the game mainly with the cards

36 8.82%
  • I play the game about half and half, cards & minis

45 11.03%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Minis Or Cards?

Quote Originally Posted by Madboyo View Post
    For me the minis make the game. A very expensive game
    So true Madboyo, so true - A very expensive game indeed!
    Even though I also like playing with the cards a lot (don't have minis for all of them - yet), I still manage to ruin myself on minis.

Keydet83

With inexpensive miniatures like these, why would anyone use cards?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Geoff
    Sorties Flown

Miniatures. Just more tangible and visually appealing, and hopefully soon even more so once my Gimble Mounts arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by Keydet83 View Post
    With inexpensive miniatures like these, why would anyone use cards?
    I would hardly call the several hundreds these babies run into "inexpensive", especially compared to the cost of the cards (and making your own cards is quite easy and costs almost nothing). Still, I can't resist those minis...

Anyway, it was the card-version that I first fell in love with and it still has me hooked. I use cards/minis about 50/50.

/Niclas

Keydet83

When I say "inexpensive," I'm saying the new gamer can get into this for less than $100 and still have a lot of fun--when you factor in the time and effort to paint hundreds of soldiers when compared with putting a single plane down, it is inexpensive in my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Keydet83 View Post
    When I say "inexpensive," I'm saying the new gamer can get into this for less than $100 and still have a lot of fun--when you factor in the time and effort to paint hundreds of soldiers when compared with putting a single plane down, it is inexpensive in my eyes.
    Wait a minute...you mean that it's possible to buy just a few planes?

Minis 99% of the time take the cards on holidays etc for those rainy nights in.

Started taking card with me when I go on trips away from home for a couple of days. Its amazing the number of work mates who have never played a war game in their life will join in and enjoy the game!

Here is my holiday box.
    Rob.
    DSC_0667.jpg
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Looks like you are prepared for a fast gettaway Rob !

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedevil View Post
    Looks like you are prepared for a fast gettaway Rob !
    Too true Alex. Never leave home without it.
    Rob.

Red face

Miniatures for me too. The visual appeal is what makes the game (for me) but then I do lots of figure wargaming for the same reason.

We are pretty lucky at BAD (Burton And District ) wargamers in that we have a group of about 6 who will play on a fairly regular basis and also have aircraft, even if a couple only have one or two and a few others who will play if they have got nothing else on when we have a game.

As for storage I've got a KR Multicase so I just pick it up on the way out.

Rich

It's more fun to use the minis. Although, I need to be careful to not run up the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by aarondpjames View Post
    Mini's all the way for me!!

I can see how cards are cheeper and easier to transport around, but i prefire to use the cards for re-paint ideas and fly the mini's for the 3D battle feeling.
    i love using the minis too. the 3D look is just right plus i also like to paint mine but i need decals.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Here is my holiday box.
    Rob.
    DSC_0667.jpg
    i wish i had the money to get all those altitude stands. oh well paper cut outs still work.

Quote Originally Posted by radzak View Post
    i love using the minis too. the 3D look is just right plus i also like to paint mine but i need decals.
    The oberst does some decals on the Aerodrome Accessories site. Also our member Dom of Dom's decals has a line. Another good source is Hannants. http://www.hannants.co.uk/
    Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Lucas
    Sorties Flown

Minis are like cocaine, you just can't go back to life like it's normal after using minis. Did you make that setup or did you buy it like that Kyte? I am at 12 minis and have 4 more on the way and may have another 11 soon so I can't keep carrying them around in their original boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Ninja View Post
    Minis are like cocaine, you just can't go back to life like it's normal after using minis. Did you make that setup or did you buy it like that Kyte? I am at 12 minis and have 4 more on the way and may have another 11 soon so I can't keep carrying them around in their original boxes.
    Please don't try to snort the minis Lucas, you'll hurt your nose.
    /Niclas

I bought that box from Figures in Comfort here in the U.K. Lucas, but the Oberst does something similar on Aerodrome accessories.
    Rob.

LittleDogma

I just brought a game, and don't have any mini(s) right now but one day, I would like to give it a try, and to owning mini(s) is appealing to me

Be careful, Daniel!
    You may think that you can buy just a couple, then before you know it you've bought them all - Those little minis are very addictive!

/Niclas

Users Country Flag

Name
    Lucas
    Sorties Flown

I am now at 40 minis. And just bought a Bv-222 in 1/200 scale which is going to be about a nine inch mini. Someone please start a support group so that we may break this vicious cycle.

I am now at 40 minis. And just bought a Bv-222 in 1/200 scale which is going to be about a nine inch mini. Someone please start a support group so that we may break this vicious cycle.
    There is a support group in existance already Lucas. It goes under the name of Ares!

Rob.

Tactics

Got to be minis !!!

Mini's most of the time, with an occasional game with the cards if I remember to take them with me on holiday.

I use almost only minis, only in particular situation I replace them with cards

Marco

I prefer to game with the miniatures and only use the cards when necessary.

Minis are not so expensive, and, as Keydet said, it's easier to open two boxes than paint 500+ Napoleonic soldiers to get two armies you can play with
    Altough cards give you more variety and take less space, I would vote for minis as first choice.

I just started playing, and I am using minis. I find they add value to the game due to their quality, and it is just plain fun moving beautiful minis around a table. I am introducing others to gaming, and the minis have made the game seem more accessible to them. I will probably play with cards, though, when traveling.

Quote Originally Posted by Niclas View Post
    Be careful, Daniel!
    You may think that you can buy just a couple, then before you know it you've bought them all - Those little minis are very addictive!

/Niclas
    Amen. I started with two minis a month or so ago, and now I have 34 planes, 3 bombers, and 2 balloons, and am getting ready to buy some of the new ones just coming out. It wouldn't be so addictive if the pilots kept to the same color scheme.

Until I get minis, it's cards (paper, anyway).

And even when I get the Ares ones in the mail (waiting, waiting, waiting...), and with the paper ones I'm building, I will not have all the neat airplanes I want. I'm gonna have to get a second job, if I want to buy them all.

Building paper planes lets me print the colour schemes I want! If I get a plan of a Sopwith Tripe, I will be building the RNAS 10 Sqn's Black Flight of Canadian pilots. I could order Shapeways models and paint them up, but printing them (might) be easier. Paint and decals might be faster, at the rate I build, though.

But I will be using cards for two-seater and bomber runs for the next little while, no matter what comes in the mail.

I am planning to run an introductory event at my Air Base Officer's Mess, as soon as those Dual Packs show up! But I wouldn't want to do it without the minis. And if I'm gonna let newbies play (and they will all be newbies), I don't think I want to use my paper planes. So, I'm waiting. The Royal Canadian Air Force's 79th Anniversary will be on 1 April, so somewhere around that date, I'm hoping to hold the "Pilots vs Maintenance Officer's Dogfight Challenge". Fingers are crossed that the planes show up (I've had them on order since October). "I won't hold my breath. Although I look good IN blue, I don't look good BLUE!"

Mike

Please let us know how it goes. Best wishes on the event.

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post

I am planning to run an introductory event at my Air Base Officer's Mess, as soon as those Dual Packs show up! But I wouldn't want to do it without the minis. And if I'm gonna let newbies play (and they will all be newbies), I don't think I want to use my paper planes. So, I'm waiting. The Royal Canadian Air Force's 79th Anniversary will be on 1 April, so somewhere around that date, I'm hoping to hold the "Pilots vs Maintenance Officer's Dogfight Challenge". Fingers are crossed that the planes show up (I've had them on order since October). "I won't hold my breath. Although I look good IN blue, I don't look good BLUE!"

Mike

Sounds a great idea Mike.
    I'm sure they will turn up before that time.
    Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kirk
    Sorties Flown

I have some minis and like to use them, but get more enjoyment out of the many different types of aircraft on the cards. Plus, I enjoy things a bit more historically accurate so I like to keep flights of planes similar. Since I don't plan to go out and buy four Sopwith Camels and four SPADs and four Albatroses, the only way for me to play larger games is with the cards. For me, the biggest incentive to buying the minis is getting more maneuver decks. Personally, I just wish they'd sell maneuver decks separately. It would open up a BUNCH of options scenario-wise.

Well, what about use of xeroxed copies of wanted decks (and use minis as proxies)?

Quote Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
    I have some minis and like to use them, but get more enjoyment out of the many different types of aircraft on the cards. Plus, I enjoy things a bit more historically accurate so I like to keep flights of planes similar. Since I don't plan to go out and buy four Sopwith Camels and four SPADs and four Albatroses, the only way for me to play larger games is with the cards. For me, the biggest incentive to buying the minis is getting more maneuver decks. Personally, I just wish they'd sell maneuver decks separately. It would open up a BUNCH of options scenario-wise.
    Yes, but it wouldn't really help the company profits, now would it.
    karl

Canvas Eagle

I primarily use the minis, but I'll play with cards if it means getting in a game

Quote Originally Posted by kaufschtick View Post
    Ok, I'm kinda curious about this. For me it's hands down minis, but I was wondering about who plays the game using cards, minis, or both?
    Wow...guess I am in the minority by far.....I play with cards only.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_espo View Post
    Wow...guess I am in the minority by far.....I play with cards only.
    Just picked up Burning Drachens and Flight of the Giants last week. Almost have all the card sets. Great for travel, and I can see playing with them a lot more regardless. I love the minis, but the cards are quality as well.

Hope to play with you sometime before the year ends.

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Just picked up Burning Drachens and Flight of the Giants last week. Almost have all the card sets. Great for travel, and I can see playing with them a lot more regardless. I love the minis, but the cards are quality as well.

Hope to play with you sometime before the year ends.
    Wow...where did you get those? The only copy of Burning Drachens is from italy, 35USd plus gonna charge 35USD to ship!!!

Defiantely will play soon!

Quote Originally Posted by mike_espo View Post
    Wow...where did you get those? The only copy of Burning Drachens is from italy, 35USd plus gonna charge 35USD to ship!!!

Defiantely will play soon!
    Have you ordered the Burning Drachens yet? If not, let me know and I will do a little looking for you. As for shipping, I imagine we could meet around 2900 N. Harlem for a drop off and some cannoli.

Eric: Pm ed ya.

For me personally I like 3D wargaming. Using the miniatures is what its all about you get more of a feel for the game and aerial warfare. Don't get me wrong the cards are fantastic and for space are easily transportable on holiday and the like.

I'm a sucker for the minis. The visual effect, especially on the new mats, is great.

I'll play either way but at just about all the game conventions I go to I see or bring my minis. At home with friends its minis all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilco View Post
    We only play with minis here! After reading some of the posts I think you guys play this game just a tad too seriously. We never have any issues with overlapping, as we just carefully reposition slightly if we have to, we never ever substitute planes with cards. I mean really whats the big deal if a plane is slightly out of position? Splitting hairs a bit aren't we? Haven't you guys ever heard of turbulance? Its a fun game and we like to keep it that way. Nobody around here takes it so serious that slight repositioning has ever been an issue. We use altitude and attitude repositioning with gimbling stands (no special rules there but it looks good), dyed cottonwool flak markers, itty bitty 2 mm scale terrain to photograph, straff and bomb, painted pipe cleaner smoke and fire markers that attach to the planes, we play on a huge laminated aerial photo, give me time and I'll make an exploded plane model to stick on a stand. We play with the whole 3D visual box and dice and have heaps of fun doing it. Miniatures is what makes this game fun!
    i guess youve never played with a "nudger" (someone who keeps "accidentally bumping" his/her a/c that doesnt have you in his/her firing arc until you they do). we all bump a/c from time to time but im talking about those guys that shamelessly rotate bases A LOT when executing a maneuver or pulling a card.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    There is a support group in existance already Lucas. It goes under the name of Ares!

Rob.
    they seem more enablers to me

Quote Originally Posted by Niclas View Post
    Wait a minute...you mean that it's possible to buy just a few planes?
    i presume you mean "just a few" AT A TIME?

minisminisminisminis all the way for me!!!!! minis got me into the game!!!! ive always been a fan of minis for games and always been a fan of warbirds so a game that combines both is a game for me. the only time i (and our group) use cards is when 1 or more plane is going to overlap. we place the card out and have it "go virtual" until they diverge. i like the cards for the artwork but would use another mini for a stand in instead of playing with a card only.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Unsure about using the minis
    By Fokker Ace in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-17-2009, 21:24