Ares Games

View Poll Results: How do you play Wings of War? Minis, cards or both.

Voters
408. You may not vote on this poll
  • I play the game mainly with miniatures

327 80.15%
  • I play the game mainly with the cards

36 8.82%
  • I play the game about half and half, cards & minis

45 11.03%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Minis Or Cards?

Question Minis Or Cards?

Ok, I'm kinda curious about this. For me it's hands down minis, but I was wondering about who plays the game using cards, minis, or both?

Users Country Flag

Name
    James
    Sorties Flown

I play with both, I prefer mini's but there are times when it is just convienent to just use the cards.

Jim

Users Country Flag

Name
    David Thren
    Sorties Flown

Cards all the way!
    1. More planes for use with cards
    2. Cards have no serious overlap issues
    3. Cards are easier to store, with less space taken up
    4. Minis are horrendously expensive, IMHO

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

I primarily play with cards but have used planes on a couple of occassions.
    Will be using planes more when I get more people in my area interested and start using altitude rules.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Andy
    Sorties Flown

Both - I like cards for the greater variety but being able to repaint planes to represent a particular squadron is a great bonus.

Mini's all the way for me!!

I can see how cards are cheeper and easier to transport around, but i prefire to use the cards for re-paint ideas and fly the mini's for the 3D battle feeling.

Wink Plasti-Crack Addict here...

I'm a miniature model airplane junkie myself, so the game lends itself real well toward helping me get my "fix" for things of that nature.

I like the cards, and they look super, but I'm not sure I could play the game, at this point, with just the cards.

Although, that is a good point about the card version traveling better, and the bottom line is that the miniatures are really just eye candy, and the game is just as fun either way.
    Last edited by kaufschtick; 09-24-2009 at 01:59.

Users Country Flag

Name
    A. Emerson
    Sorties Flown

Yesterday i made my first mini game and i think the minis add more visual aspect to the game, but you have to be a little tolerant with position movements. Sometimes planes cover each other a bit, but in most cases you have to grab the plane cards in order to effectively represent overlaping situations.

On the other hand, cards allow more variation in planes. I don't want myself to get sticked to play always with the available mini planes (i'll buy it either ways Andrea, don't worry (XD))

Overlapping

First things first, this game is always going to have some card/plane sliding going on. It is just a fact of the game and the sooner you learn not to care to much about it, the more fun you will have.

Overlapping is not as big an issue if you handle it the right way. If you keep each plane at a different height via the pegs, it makes them "fit together" better when they overlap because the wings are at different levels and such. The method of letting the top plane move first works well. If some planes are really going to be right on top of each other, we pick one plane to hold it's position. We place that rounds maneuver card next to it face up. If needed, you can easily work out where the plane should be for any firing that round. We then play the next round's maneuver card and let the plane that did move last round, move again ("flying out" of the way as we call it). Then we let the plane that was held move both maneuvers as planned. It sounds a lot harder then it is!

These methods have worked very well with my group... even with 8 players on a single table.

Cards all the way!
    1. So many minis already - and more to come!
    2. Cards have no serious visual appeal
    3. Cards are a pain to have on the table, they are too small!
    4. Minis are remarkably affordable, IMHO

(with apologies to Davot... )

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    Overlapping

First things first, this game is always going to have some card/plane sliding going on. It is just a fact of the game and the sooner you learn not to care to much about it, the more fun you will have.

Overlapping is not as big an issue if you handle it the right way. If you keep each plane at a different height via the pegs, it makes them "fit together" better when they overlap because the wings are at different levels and such. The method of letting the top plane move first works well. If some planes are really going to be right on top of each other, we pick one plane to hold it's position. We place that rounds maneuver card next to it face up. If needed, you can easily work out where the plane should be for any firing that round. We then play the next round's maneuver card and let the plane that did move last round, move again ("flying out" of the way as we call it). Then we let the plane that was held move both maneuvers as planned. It sounds a lot harder then it is!

These methods have worked very well with my group... even with 8 players on a single table.
    Overlapping is not that big a deal for me, we just keep the airplane cards on hand and use them when needed. No troubles at all! Like the Col. says, after a bit, you get used to it, and it does sound "harder", or more "awkward" than it actually is.

I use the minis most of the time so I would say that is how I primarily play the game. We have managed to work around the overlap issues without too much fuss.

On the other hand I do like the variety offered by the cards and the ease of transport. I have taken the cards on a few trips because it is so much easier to travel with.

Users Country Flag

Name
    A. Emerson
    Sorties Flown

That's true. I went to brazil this year and I brought the entire DoW and FFtS in a single TCG deck case, then i just had to bring a pouch with the speed markers and the rulers and two dices (i've found damage calculation using dices is very useful when you don't want to transport your counters ^^)

Users Country Flag

Name
    Alex
    Sorties Flown

I prefer minis and have been using them for all my WW2 games so far. I have to admit that the cards do have certain advantages, namely:
    1) Portability - Play anywhere, anytime
    2) Numerous aircraft

I don't find overlapping an issue at all. All we have done is left the movent card in place until the next move, then place the model in place to allow its next move.
    I'll tell you what is a great boon though, the new FFG card protectors! They are great. They allow you to pick the cards up more easily and if you are playing on a smooth surface, you can slide them out of the way really easily.

Users Country Flag

Name
    John
    Sorties Flown

I like the cards and will probably use the from time to time but it's the miniatures all the way for me.

Users Country Flag

Name
    David Thren
    Sorties Flown

So what does everyone do with all of those unused cards? I might be a buyer at the right price.

We only play with minis here! After reading some of the posts I think you guys play this game just a tad too seriously. We never have any issues with overlapping, as we just carefully reposition slightly if we have to, we never ever substitute planes with cards. I mean really whats the big deal if a plane is slightly out of position? Splitting hairs a bit aren't we? Haven't you guys ever heard of turbulance? Its a fun game and we like to keep it that way. Nobody around here takes it so serious that slight repositioning has ever been an issue. We use altitude and attitude repositioning with gimbling stands (no special rules there but it looks good), dyed cottonwool flak markers, itty bitty 2 mm scale terrain to photograph, straff and bomb, painted pipe cleaner smoke and fire markers that attach to the planes, we play on a huge laminated aerial photo, give me time and I'll make an exploded plane model to stick on a stand. We play with the whole 3D visual box and dice and have heaps of fun doing it. Miniatures is what makes this game fun!

Minis only for me too. I come from a minis wargaming background and using cards/cardboard chits/wooden blocks just does not do it for me. I choose WoW because it had minis and had simply mechanics. As such I have only purchased the WW1 Deluxe boxed set plus extra minis.

I will opf course be buying Balloon Busters, Series 4, 5 and the Bombers in minis when they become available

Great game mechanics and fun either way... but I LOVE the miniatures.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilco View Post
    We play with the whole 3D visual box and dice and have heaps of fun doing it. Miniatures is what makes this game fun!
    That's what it's all about brother! Heaps of fun!

BTW, I love those gimbles you made, super cool! Those could come in real handy down the road for a "house rule" of some kind.

Users Country Flag

Name
    A. Emerson
    Sorties Flown

Also, playing with cards was very painful until the recent FFG protectors came out.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Alex
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Gravitypool View Post
    Also, playing with cards was very painful until the recent FFG protectors came out.
    Very true! But let's not forget that you still need the cards to play. The minis only replace one card in a deck, namely the aircraft. You still need all the other 18 or so cards in order to move that aircraft. If you don't then you aren't playing the game, but a different or heavily modified version

Well... I ran in to my first disappointment with WoW...
    I excited cracked open my latest purchase, Francesco Baracca's SPAD XIII miniature... it was like Christmas morning, only to unwrap a pair of socks... WHERE IS HIS PRANCING HORSE?!?!?!

I suppose this could be a copyright issue w/Ferarri... but it WAS Francesco's emblem first!!

sigh... so disappointed.

miniatures all the way for me. I've played alot of different card games and heaps of miniature type games and the lil figs always draw me back....

plus it helps when you get a product that looks so dam cool....

Cheers
    GW

NB: I would consider trading/selling the unused cards

I have to go with "all of the above"... there are just times that either the cards or the minis are better for game play. That being said, I have to say I prefer the minis visually, and they make an impact on everyone who thinks they 'might' want to get into the game...

Thumbs up

I have been a minitaures player for the last 45 year, and never like board games, primarily becase I like seeing something solid on the table. You get to see the best (and worst) of other peoples minatures even in wings of war where player have customised their planes and painted up extra details. But I still collect the cards because I like them, and some times when my son's and myself want a quick game we will use cards rather than go to the trouble of un-packing carefully store miniature. So keep producing both as I will buy both!

It's miniature aircraft all the way!

Sofia Lopes

Minis only for me too!

I am a miniatures player, many different historical periods. I have a fair collection of 1/72nd scale WWII airplanes for Mustangs & Messerschmitts, which I hav'nt played in several years, no one has the space for a game.

Right now I use the cards, it's easier to toss it in a shoulder bag and take the bus to the game shop. I have a couple of old Crown 1/144th kits that I'll put on Litko stands for a one on one, Corsair vs Zero. But that's for the rare occasion that only two players are available.

Henry

All about the minis!!!

Double Deuce

Mini's here as well. Since I had to drive 90 miles to find a store that had them, I grabbed everything I could carry (and afford).

It's cards for me so far mainly cos I'm new and looking to get all the rules sets with damage cards/ tokens first.
    But every time someone posts pics of those minis I feel myself being drawn to the dark side.

P.S. Agree with the it's all about the fun attitude

P.P.S Are we allowed to say Gimbles in public?

Users Country Flag

Name
    David
    Sorties Flown

Minis of course

ptah1888

I'm throwing my weight behind the cards. I find cards easier to use (my geek path lead me through the dark valley of CCGs rather than miniature wargaming) and they allow more plane options. Also, imagine what my cats would do to miniatures...

I use the mini of the wowI deluxe set,.. and all the other 8 planes are cards than i create, wowII cards ... I put them on the files section !!!

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...do=file&id=311

Somes of this planes are created by others peoples !!

p.s press download.... ( pdf) dont use the jpg in low quality

Ace of the Reich

I like to play with the minis, but there are some planes that are only on cards.... I wish they would make them as minis

Minis are "the thing" for me. Beautiful but expensive, they really boost the ambiance. They need space to store and time to handle (before and after games, but I think it's worth of it. New series, 4 and 5, looks great, but there will be always plane types which you want to become miniatures!

odobenus

I mostly prefer miniatures but I take cards with me as a portable set for breaks during trips (two camping mats make sufficient playfield for us).

I play with minis because that is what others are doing but I like playing with the cards.

I started out a card only guy when I first got the game, but quickly realized how much cooler minis are and that they add a considerable amount of atmosphere to the game that the cards, frankly, are lacking.

That's not to say you aren't going to have an awesome time with the cards, it's just that you're going to be abstracting some of the cooler parts of the game like 3d effect of the planes on pegs, etc.

I agree 100% with Col. Hajj.... If you can't get over the fact that the cards & minis slide a bit...you're hosed. We count anything within a mm or so a hit. The reason is that it works both ways and if you don't, people will start actively fudging their positioning. It's better to keep that gamesmanship out of the picture and let the game just get played.

If the goal of the game is to have fun playing it, you're going to have a great time. If you're in it to win it. Look for a more precise game measured with hexes and facing with movement rates and more extensive rules.

Get out there and fly. Get out there are kill or be killed. That's the beauty of the game and everything that gets in the way of that is a bad thing indeed. Cards or minis you're gonna have a blast if you keep it light and in perspective!

Minis.

I´ve been playing such a long time with minis, I just don´t even think of using little pieces of paper ...

Don´t get me wrong: to take up a little box with cards and replay an interesting facette of the Great War is really fascinating. But all my friends (mostly tabletoppers) only start paying attention when I say: " ... and of course you can play it also with airplane models."

´Til now interested by cards: none. Interested by miniatures: five

BvA

Thumbs up Cards vs Minis!

To play a game i do minis. To solo a problem i will use cards only. You still need cards to get out of those tight spots when two planes will end up in the same spot!
    Rich

You know that's a great point...I do the same thing for solo'ing new tactics or trying to figure out good escape methods. Cards are just a lot quicker to get on the table than opening up my figure storage, getting the pegs out, getting the base...well you get the picture.

I'll keep my cards....thank you, but,,, It is MINIS all the way for gameplay. Just from the collectors point of view and the "cosmetics" of the game, you've just got to use and have the minis. I could see keeping the cards and just travel them to work to play a lunch time game with just the cards. Makes sense to have both. The kid in all of us wants the feeling and to LOOK at the plane itself. It is what makes the games for me. The same with any wargame. I can't play cardboard counter games. I have got to have the minis, be it AAM, or the better , TOI.
    WOW and DOW...Keep the minis coming. You HAVE to make a Zeppelin Balloon before i turn fifty.!!!

P.S. on that last note...you have a little over 2 years.

Thumbs up Cards vs Minis!

They both have their uses i picked up a second set of Flying Legend`s and Eagles Of The Reich last month to have more cards and maneuver decks!

Rich

Tecumseh

I found this a very interesting poll, for the simple reason that when I started playing (I picked up minis of Red Baron and Barker's Camel and the a game as my first purchase) I was torn between the really compelling artwork on the cards and the stunning look of the minis. Added to this, I actually didn't like the way the info on the clear base looked. I much preferred looking at the firing arcs and other stats as shown on the cards. Personal preference.

Only solution for me, I built flight stands that would accomodate both and have never looked back. Now I have the model on top and the card on the bottom - best of both worlds.

As for overlapping with the minis, agree with other posters that you just substitute in the card until the flyby is over.

Name
    Thomas
    Sorties Flown

Minis!!!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Unsure about using the minis
    By Fokker Ace in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-17-2009, 21:24