Ares Games

Thread: Its Winter !

Default Its Winter !

They said it was going to be a cold one this year. They might have been right. Its 22 F /-5.5 C overnight low of 16 F /-9 C. The wind is from the NNE at 31mph / 60kmph with gusts expected in the 60 mph range. Think I will have something hot to drink.
    Tony
    Bellingham, WA

High of -21C today. Perfect weather to stay indoors and play games!

Quote Originally Posted by postal_bob View Post
    Brrrrr!

I have the window open and a fan going tonight... warm for Ohio this time of year... at least it seems that way. Predicted to get down to a high of 35° F this Friday though... All too often it seem like we almost skip Fall and Spring here...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Yep, I am just south of you in Red Deer. Unless they are in Alaska, Americans just don't know what cold even is.

I have also lived in Goose Bay, Labrador (find that on a map...), and Thompson, Manitoba. In both places, one can expect snow any month of the year, and typically January through February can be -40C, which is conveniently -40F. A warm spell is -20C!

But wait for it! A chinook looms on Thursday, with +1C heading our way.
    Last edited by WilliamBarkerVC; 11-22-2010 at 22:18.

Yeh, having to turn the heat on tonite, getting down to 62F here. Can't see how y'all are handling that evil cold.

Quote Originally Posted by wargamer View Post
    Yeh, having to turn the heat on tonite, getting down to 62F here. Can't see how y'all are handling that evil cold.
    Haha! I often go to Orlando in January or February.

In a bizarre twist of fate, one year about 4 or 5 years ago, a chinook roared through Red Deer bring the temp to 12 or 13 C. Meanwhile, a cold front sat over Florida, bringing flurries off the coast, and causing general pandemonium as the temperatures hovered around freezing. Warmer in the winter climate that I left behind? Bizarre!

We have a balmy breeze bringing us 5C here in central England today, but snow forecast for the weekend.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I must say I love the seasons. Just when you are about fed up with one the next one jumps in. This mostly applies to winter and sometimes summer. Though, fall and spring I can't get enough of.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamBarkerVC View Post

But wait for it! A chinook looms on Thursday, with +1C heading our way.
    I'm just getting used to cold and they're gonna tease me with a balmy 0C. Oh well, at least Grey Cup won't be -21C.

It's always the perfect weather to stay indoors and play games or even build and paint models
    Last edited by tonyc206; 11-23-2010 at 03:52. Reason: Brain fade.......

Quote Originally Posted by tonyc206 View Post
    It's always the perfect weather to stay indoors and play games or even build and paint models
    I disagree! Here in Edmonton, we had 95 days between -20C. With a small window like that, summer needs to be spent outdoors. Although, now that it's back to hibernation mode, I can finally work on finishing my Eldar and Ogre armies!

I disagree! Here in Edmonton, we had 95 days between -20C. With a small window like that, summer needs to be spent outdoors. Although, now that it's back to hibernation mode, I can finally work on finishing my Eldar and Ogre armies!
    Sorry I live in the UK. What's summer?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Bruno_Stachel
    Sorties Flown

It's when the rain becomes as warm as the beer.

Finally the weather forecast expects for tomorrow the first snow here in Italy.after two months of rain every day....

It seems with every year the seasons fly by faster and faster. I'm in my 50's now, and I figure by the time I'm in my 70's, good lord willing, time will be zipping by like a DVD on fast-forward.

Maybe that's why old folks drive so slow?

Spring has sprung,
    The grass has riz,
    I wonder where
    The flowers is.

Spring has sprung,
    And fall has fell,
    Its winter now,
    And its as cold as I can remember!

It was one day in November,
    As I very well remember.
    I was walking down the street in drunken pride,
    When my knees went all a flutter,
    And I fell down in the gutter.
    Where a pig came up and lay down by my side.

As I lay there in the gutter,
    Thinking thaughts I could not utter,
    A lady passing by was heard to say.
    " You can tell a man who boozes
    By the company he chooses".
    And with that,
    The pig got up and walked away.

Moral: Always make sure your drinking companions are more ratted than you. Then they cant abandon you.
    Kyte.

What do the Canucks say? They do have four seasons but they're called Nearly Winter, Winter, Still Winter and Roadworks.

Cover your face in whale grease and make sure you draw a Sidcot Suit from the QM.

Yeah, it's like the first step in the Seattle-ite Snow Checklist is "Firmly lodge cranium in rectum"...

Anyone else in Northern Hemisphere ready for spring yet?

I shut down the cooler yesterday and got the heater running. Here is southern Arizona, we have almost summer, summer, still summer and where's my sweater. Get snow that stays on the ground once a decade, until noon anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by AlgyLacey View Post
    What do the Canucks say? They do have four seasons but they're called Nearly Winter, Winter, Still Winter and Roadworks.

Cover your face in whale grease and make sure you draw a Sidcot Suit from the QM.
    I'd say that sums it up rather well.

Here in SE Pennsylvania the weather is unseasonably warm, with the high reaching 60's the last few days. But I don't mind winter when it comes. Gives me a reason to get the 4-wheeler out of the garage to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Goering Ace View Post
    Here in SE Pennsylvania the weather is unseasonably warm, with the high reaching 60's the last few days. But I don't mind winter when it comes. Gives me a reason to get the 4-wheeler out of the garage to play.
    I'm not too far away from you Scott. It's been in the low to mid 60's here but there is the chance for some light snow Thanksgiving morning.

I'll be heading to the airport tomorrow to pick up my consignment of players.
    Hopefully they'll be flying their first sortie following lunch and a stiff Manhattan.

A Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Chris

I remember 1 summer in Kansas it was so hot that the corn popped in the fields... and the crows thought it was snow and froze to death.

Default time to play

good time to play a lot of war games with buddy's

Must be winter. I've just seen a brass monkey looking for a welder - LOL

Must be looking for the the guy from my Latin thread. Look to see if he is an official AMBMWI
    Rob..

Day before yesterday it was around 70F...today it's 33F!!! I mean, it could snow here in Dixie ...and it's raining too.

We have snow on the ground for the third day in a row here on the Island(Whidbey). My truck has not left the driveway since Sunday. That's why I have not been posting. I have been walking my six miles per day though. So today I just walked to the Library, that is where I use the computer. Geez it's going to be a long walk back. I knew I should have brought some Vodka!!

Quote Originally Posted by gregbond77 View Post
    We have snow on the ground for the third day in a row here on the Island(Whidbey). My truck has not left the driveway since Sunday. That's why I have not been posting. I have been walking my six miles per day though. So today I just walked to the Library, that is where I use the computer. Geez it's going to be a long walk back. I knew I should have brought some Vodka!!
    Glad to hear from ya buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Willi Von Klugermann View Post
    I'm not too far away from you Scott. It's been in the low to mid 60's here but there is the chance for some light snow Thanksgiving morning.

I'll be heading to the airport tomorrow to pick up my consignment of players.
    Hopefully they'll be flying their first sortie following lunch and a stiff Manhattan.

A Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Chris
    Hey Chris. You're only about an hour from me (by Google maps). If you ever feel like a small road trip, there's a game store a mile or so from my house that allows free use of their game rooms.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Must be looking for the the guy from my Latin thread. Look to see if he is an official AMBMWI
    Rob..
    OK... they say a joke isn't funny if you have to explain it... and I LOVE british humor... so I am asking nicely: Please try not to make me look like too much of a fool if I ask you to explain that one... 'cause I have no idea wth you fellows are getting at there...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Quote Originally Posted by The Cowman View Post
    OK... they say a joke isn't funny if you have to explain it... and I LOVE british humor... so I am asking nicely: Please try not to make me look like too much of a fool if I ask you to explain that one... 'cause I have no idea wth you fellows are getting at there...
    The origins of all this is a saying we have. "It is cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey. This actually relates to the brass support on a warships deck which prevented cannon balls rolling about. Called a brass monkey because it substituted for the powder monkey who had the job of bringing up the black powder from the magazine. This got distorted to suggest that a brass monkey door knocker was endowed with brass balls, and that extremes of cold weather could do it considerable mischief. A.M.B.M.W.I. is Associate member of the Brass Monkey Welders Institute, but that is another story entirely.
    N.b. Look up the Poem" Eskimo Nell "and you will find a reference to cold weather and brass monkeys. Warning ! This poem is very near the bone.
    Rob.