Ares Games

Thread: Queens Birthday Weekend Wargaming Convention - WoG big game

Default Queens Birthday Weekend Wargaming Convention - WoG big game

Hello all in the Australian Wing,

My club - Group North, are organizing a big wargaming convention (a multi-club event) over the weekends of 10-11 June (Queens Birthday long weekend). I am organizing a Wings of Glory WWI game on the day of 11th June. I am thinking it to be a good opportunity for us WoG fans to meet face to face and get in touch and generally have fun in a big bash. Admission on the day is free [EDIT: We on the committee have decided that entry is free to the event, so no door fee] for the whole day, start time is between 0900-0930 hours.

On the day it is basically bring along any airplane you fancy (probably thinking of setting for the second half of the war, say post 1916, since I think having something, for example, a Morane-Saulnier pitted against a Fokker DVII would be a butchers theater). I'll think of scenarios when I have an indication of the approximate amount of players interested and the amount of Entente and German/Austrian players. Mission briefing will probably happen on the day before the fly-out. If you would like to come, reply below or send me a PM with your interest and what plane you would like to bring along.

Cheers all,

Dog of War
    Last edited by Dog of War; 03-24-2017 at 18:32.

Thumbs up

Good Luck for your planned Game.

Bit far for me but I hope you get a great response from our SA members.

Sounds like a great event Oleksandr, damn the tyranny of distance in this wide, brown land of ours. If by some miracle I can get to SA exactly where are you holding the event?

Hi Oleksandr,

I would be interested in joining you on that day. Where are you holding this event. My interest is WWI planes, I can bring both my favourite German and Entente planes not bothered which side I fly for.

Ha! Thanks for pointing it out - I forgot to say where the event is being held. So the address is:

A.E. Martin Hall
    Building 36
    Woomera Road, Edinburgh

The Google maps image of the location is below (circled in red is the location):

Name:  GNHWS_Map.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  123.9 KB

If there is something else missing, let me know.

Hmmm 2050 kilometres and 24 hours driving time for one day of Wings of Glory with my SA brothers. There is some pretty country on the way though.

Name:  QLD to SA.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  92.5 KB

Tempting......

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    Hmmm 2050 kilometres and 24 hours driving time for one day of Wings of Glory with my SA brothers. There is some pretty country on the way though.

Tempting......
    Hello Carl,

I know the feeling, tempting to just get into the car and drive, drive and drive... Just find a small reason to perform a walkabout and you find your self tempted severely ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    Hi Oleksandr,

I would be interested in joining you on that day. Where are you holding this event. My interest is WWI planes, I can bring both my favourite German and Entente planes not bothered which side I fly for.
    Cheers Gary for the reply, I guess we'll decide upon the day then for which side...

Quote Originally Posted by Dog of War View Post
    Hello Carl,

I know the feeling, tempting to just get into the car and drive, drive and drive... Just find a small reason to perform a walkabout and you find your self tempted severely ;-)
    I really enjoy my drives to Cancon and Wintercon. One day when I get enough time I'll do the grand tour.

Just to add, here is a link with our club profile if interested, and map location:

http://www.groupnorth.club/about/

Cheers all
    Last edited by Dog of War; 03-20-2017 at 08:44.

Oleksandr, I'd be interested in coming along. However because of other commitments on Sunday 11th June I wouldn't be able to get there until about 1145-1200hr.
    I have a small selection of German and Entente planes, with most being fighters and post 1916.

Quote Originally Posted by Windy Jack View Post
    Oleksandr, I'd be interested in coming along. However because of other commitments on Sunday 11th June I wouldn't be able to get there until about 1145-1200hr.
    I have a small selection of German and Entente planes, with most being fighters and post 1916.
    No problems at all. You are more than welcome to fly in whenever you are most comfortable.

The same goes for everyone else, you don't have to report to the HQ by 0900 hours (not that you'll be jailed for desertion or shot for treason ;-) ), come whenever you feel most comfortable, I'll get it set-up by the start time, with a couple of my planes on table, and if it gradually grows towards the end of the day in participation, or if there is early drop-outs, that is completely fine, I'll work out some scenarios that should be able to handle that.

Oleksandr

Fellow Wingmen - great news! We on the club committee have decided that entry is free on the day (yes, no door fee!). Just fly in and scrap it out in the air!

In any case though, if you want to join the event, still let me know, since I need to work out the game scenarios and side weighing anyway.

I will arrive with Windy Jack at about 1145.

Great! See you then!

In the mean-time I'll try to get some German observation balloons made. By the way, has anyone have knowledge of a good document/site on DIY observation balloons?

I have no craft skills myself but if you look up Blackronin under community ...... In the files section he has plans and instructions on how to make your own balloons. Clever and cheap to make I think.

Found it! Thanks for the pointer. Not that hard as I thought - very elegant solution.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/ent...vation-Balloon

Should have posted this link to the visual instructions. I have a couple of official balloons. do you want me to bring them on the 11th?

Hello Baxter,

Great, thanks for the link. If you have balloons that is even better, feel very welcome to bring them along. For which sides do you have balloons? I'll try to get some balloons done just for fun, and if I get any ready I'll bring them along as well.

I have put transfers on mine, so 1 German and 1 English.

Similar Missions

1. WWI game at the Guns of Ausust Convention in Williamsburg,VA this weekend
    By Albert Ross in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-31-2016, 18:22
  2. Thinking of running a convention game, some questions.
    By dougredshirt in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-02-2013, 17:29
  3. Game On! convention in Issaquah, Washington
    By BobRoberts in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-27-2013, 13:55
  4. Illinois: Rock-Con 2012 Game Convention
    By crashx in forum US Wing
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-10-2012, 10:57
  5. Southcon wargaming convention