Ares Games

Thread: New Wings of Glory player - Literally just a few days with no experience

peejaycee

Default New Wings of Glory player - Literally just a few days with no experience

Hello everyone, I am Paul from Tamworth. I have been meaning to get into Wings of Glory for such a long time and now I am really annoyed because if I had started when I was first interested I would have been able to get the Aircraft I like and lots of other items that seem to be either rare, unavailable or priced as collectibles. I am an avid war gamer since I was an apprentice at RAF Cosford in 1977. I am keen to get up and running and currently have no aircraft at all. I have ordered some Valom kits, am looking at 3D print outs but obviously altitude pegs and bases and cards are going to be a problem but hopefully not an insurmountable one.

Well if there is anyone out there who can point me at advice, supplies or accessories please get in touch.

I am looking forward to my first dogfight...

Welcome to the Drome Paul from West Yorkshire. Getting Ares models and ancillaries is a problem. Just keep looking at ebay as the odd bargain does occasionally appear.
    Fly safe and always watch your six!

Welcome to the 'Drome, Paul, from Middlesex.

"Aerodrome Accessories" (the banner at the top of the screen) is run by Keith Upton, the Herr Oberst who runs this site.
    Lots of accessories there, and not a few planes too.

For planes at a flat 10% off try "Entoyment" in Bournemouth - Pete Valinsky does mail order from his website.

For older, out-of-production stuff, drop me a line and I'll see what I can do.

Are you going to the UK Games Expo in June at the NEC Birmingham?
    We will have Drome tables there, so you can get stuck in right away!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

On behalf of the Squadrons based here in the U.K. I can now give you a warm and official welcome to the Drome Paul.
    Did you get my Wingman request O.K.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Welcome Paul from across the pond, in wintry Illinois! (Although by tomorrow it will be spring, a day of fall, and then perhaps spring again...)

peejaycee

Hi,
    So are you the man in the flying helmet? We had a brief chat at WMMS if you are he.

thank you for the valuable advice.

Hope to begin dogfighting real soon.

All the best

Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Welcome to the 'Drome, Paul, from Middlesex.

"Aerodrome Accessories" (the banner at the top of the screen) is run by Keith Upton, the Herr Oberst who runs this site.
    Lots of accessories there, and not a few planes too.

For planes at a flat 10% off try "Entoyment" in Bournemouth - Pete Valinsky does mail order from his website.

For older, out-of-production stuff, drop me a line and I'll see what I can do.

Are you going to the UK Games Expo in June at the NEC Birmingham?
    We will have Drome tables there, so you can get stuck in right away!

Hi and welcome Paul. Everyone was in the same boat as regards to miniatures unless they started before series 1 came out. In addition to 3d printers such as Shapeways you can download some paper planes from http://www.juniorgeneral.org or http://www.fiddlersgreen.net and scale them to suit your printer. The Junior General ones are 2d. Make your bases using old place mats cut to size and templates from the files section for the different aircraft. Drinking straws can substitute for pegs, you can use dice for altitude. Movement cards do not matter so much as you can download Sashdash's Wog Mates from the files section here and that covers every movement deck. There would be many on this forum who have better ideas that I and will help you too. Never be afraid to ask. No such thing as a stupid question.

Other than that I suggest when a new release comes out that you buy all the planes in it. They will quickly become unobtainable. I think there is going to be 2 releases per year, one new set and one a reprint. The next reprint will have Albatros and Nieuport fighters, Ufag, and RE8 2 seaters which will give you a good start and I believe it is due out in May.

Hi Paul, welcome from Essex.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

welcome Josh from Oklahoma, USA. Enjoy, a great place to be.

"Watch your six, but once you land in Oklahoma, watch your step"

Hi Paul,
    Welcome to the mess!

Dave

Paul,
    Welcome to the Forum, from Vancouver Island!
    Name:  image2.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  163.5 KB
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Welcome Paul, from Bristol.
    Bases can be obtained from AA, which I recommend, or from Litko, available in uk from Figures in comfort. Also Red Eagle miniatures do a base and peg also.

Cards, there are a lot of cards available in albums, I also have some spares if you drop me an address.

Pegs are difficult but if you search around you may be able to obtain a bag or so, try Battleground hobbies or Northumbria games.

Official models are getting quite rare as you found out, but there are Red Eagle metal models in UK, or Reviresco in the US or the 3d Shapeways ones.
    Any wuestions on any of these ask away, someone will be able to assist.
    I also was at WMMS but was on the boat table so glad you enjoyed the day.

Welcome to the Aerodrome, Paul! I had to google where Staffordshire is, so something new for me, thank you

About minis. If you want you can chech one Czech store (www.svet-deskovych-her.cz): Láďa, store owner, has some really old minis (mostky twoseaters, unfortunately) we he doesn't send them outside of the Czech Republic. But there are two ways - there will be a Prague Con '17 therenext month so someone can take with him for you (three participants from UK) or attend Doncaster Con '17 and let us to bring them to you in September.
    So...there is a way or two

Welcome to the Aerodrome, Paul, from here near Norwich. If you try GamesLore http://www.gameslore.co.uk/acatalog/...ml#aAREWGF002A , they have the Rules and Accessories Pack and two-plane starter packs in stock plus many aircraft models.

welcome to the Aerodrome Paul from Boston Lincolnshire

Hi Paul - welcome from here in Kent

Welcome to the 'drome Paul from East Sussex, I'm sure it won't take you too long to pull some bits and pieces together and take to the air.

Sapiens qui vigilat "He is wise who watches"

Welcome aboard from Doncaster. Glad our little table at WMMS have given you the spark to get your wings as it were

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Hi Paul, from 'historic' Newark On Trent.
    Welcome to the general fur-ball that is the Forum!
    I'll echo the sentiments of my more learned collegues above - EvilBay occasionally has a good deal (I got Richtofens DrI for about Ł10), remember to search for both Wings of Glory AND Wings of War.
    Also, if you are feeling a little masochistic, Red Eagle miniatures are the old Skytrex castings (with the same codes), and can be a tad fiddly to assemble, but they do attend shows, are very helpful, and have a rather good range. They also won't break the bank, though you would need to source bases/pegs. A friend af mine sent me a large and heavy box of Skytex that keep guilt tripping me as I haven't yet assembled them. I need to pluck up courage to attempt the Gotha.....!!

Fly high!
    And beware of rocks in the clouds......

Thumbs up

G;day Paul & welcome to the 'drome on behalf of the pilots who fly in NSW down in Australia.

I second the suggestion you check our Aerodrome Accessories here on the Forum.
    Keith Upton (Oberst Hajj) has a great range of minis & accessories at really good prices.
    I have brought lots of stuff from him over the years.
    Good Hunting!
    Try to grab the Rules & Accessories Pack & a couple of Duel Sets. That will get you started.

A couple of other sites with stock,
    http://www.firestormgames.co.uk/wings-of-glory
    http://www.philibertnet.com/en/
    I've got some Red Eagle SE5a and they were a bit of a pig but fairly cheap, got bases from Litko, pics in my albums on this site.
    I made the aircraft and movement deck cards myself.

Welcome aboard from another Cosford resident, 85-88.

Tony.

Welcome to the Aerodrome from Cape Cod. You have a great ground crew to take care of you in Old Blighty.

welcome to the drome Paul!!!

Welcome to the 'drome Paul.
    If you don't mind travelling a bit, I put on a game in our local library once a month, next game is Saturday 25th, next Saturday, just off J24 M1 and the A50.
    you are welcome to join in 1400-1600 PM me for directions.

Lest we forget

As someone who was at WWMS i can confirm that Flying Helmut was the pilot in the Flying helmet , Welcome to the Drome Paul!

peejaycee

Thank you for confirming.... it is totally due to Helmut that I am here....

peejaycee

Hi John, I am not available this month but would like an invite to any games you arrange as I would certainly be interested.

Thank you for considering me.

Regards,

Paul

peejaycee

I'd like to thank everyone for the welcome and the advice and assistance. I am sourcing some aircraft with your help and hope to be flying real soon. Thanks again.

Welcome to the 'Drome Paul. Don't forget the UKWing annual bash at Doncaster in September, even if you can only make 1 day. Good place to meet more of the UKWing members.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Quote Originally Posted by peejaycee View Post
    Thank you for confirming.... it is totally due to Helmut that I am here....
    My pleasure!

As Neil said, do try to pop along to Doncaster in September - it's a Blast!

Hi Paul, as you can see this is a real friendly place and your most welcome.

covbaggy

I'm new as well. Will keep an eye out for you at the expo. Are you in Hall 1?

peejaycee

Gentlemen...
    Thank you all for your hints, tips, welcomes and in some cases aircraft, bits and cards (for which I am eternally grateful). All I need now is some pilots to duel locally and I will be up and at em. I will be attending the UK Games Expo but only on the Sunday by the look of it as I have commitments but I will be attending a lot more events so hopefully see the Aerodrome guys at one of those... I will likely bring my kites with me to these events on the off chance of having a duel in the sky but failing that... I will travel as best I can. So please keep me informed of where I can find a dogfight or two...

Thanks again

Straighten up and fly right....

Paul

"Tally Ho, there's no scrambled egg on me"

Quote Originally Posted by covbaggy View Post
    I'm new as well. Will keep an eye out for you at the expo. Are you in Hall 1?
    Good to have you on the Drome P.
    I can now also give you a formal welcome on behalf of the U.K. pilots.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I believe that our presence at U.K. Games Expo is now cancelled; http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...ames-Expo-2017 post #30

Hi Paul,

Welcome & good luck. You've come to the right place, this is an incredibly supportive, informed &, above all, friendly community.

For what they're worth my relative neophyte tips are: buy planes in twos/multiples; familiarise yourself with the solo rules developed here; & get the Rules & Accessories. Oh yeah, play lots!

Have fun,

Tom

I can confirm that wings is not attending the Games Expo show this year.

Similar Missions

1. It Shouldn't Ever Happen To A Glory Player ...
    By Tonx in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 05-24-2016, 15:22
  2. National: Central Kentucky Wings of Glory Player My Introduction
    By Gribble in forum US Wing
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 08-11-2015, 09:25
  3. ACE PLAYING CARDS (literally)
    By Hedeby in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-30-2015, 15:07
  4. Happy Days for Wings of Glory!