Ares Games

Thread: InCON 2017

Default InCON 2017

This year's iteration of our local convention.

21 - 23 April
    Florence Filberg Centre
    Courtenay, BC

InCON - Board Game Area/

Name:  Incon 2017 Poster Art.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  250.6 KB

More Wings of Glory!
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

I hope the games go well, Mike.
    The Con logo made me think "Who let the kids loose!"
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Four days and counting...
    Name:  InCON2017_WGFAceCards_Part1.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  228.3 KB

Name:  InCON2017_WGFAceCards_Part2.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  228.7 KB
    Mike

Excellent job, as usual! What cool games do you have in the mix?

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Excellent job, as usual! What cool games do you have in the mix?
    Only WGF for this con, due to the conniption I had over the BoB release.

So, Snoopy vs the Red Baron on Friday night, the Dogfight Challenge on Saturday evening (Duel Packs up for grabs), and Open Flying on Sunday afternoon. This is in amongst a mix of X-Wing, Historical Miniatures, and other board games.

I'm the Games Coordinator, so I tried not to get too busy during the event. I have to supervise, and being the only Wings of Glory afficianado in the Comox Valley, I can't spread myself too thin. Darn!
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Only WGF for this con, due to the conniption I had over the BoB release.

So, Snoopy vs the Red Baron on Friday night, the Dogfight Challenge on Saturday evening (Duel Packs up for grabs), and Open Flying on Sunday afternoon. This is in amongst a mix of X-Wing, Historical Miniatures, and other board games.

I'm the Games Coordinator, so I tried not to get too busy during the event. I have to supervise, and being the only Wings of Glory afficianado in the Comox Valley, I can't spread myself too thin. Darn!
    WGF works! I haven't get the nerve up to approach the elves on the BOB adaptations and corrections yet. . . . : )

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    I hope the games go well, Mike.
    The Con logo made me think "Who let the kids loose!"
    Karl
    Sorry, I didn't mention this year's theme. Fraggle Rock. Cause it's fun. www.henson.com - Fraggle Rock
    Mike

Mike, I hope you have a successful event this weekend. Maybe next year I'll be able to get over there.

Hope you have a great weekend, Mike. Don't stress too much as coordinator.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Friday Night: Snoopy vs the Red Baron

The Game Host, ready to showcase a terrific game:
    Name:  WoGSnoopy-Host_20170421.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  124.7 KB

The Set-up in the Board Game Room:
    Name:  WoGSnoopy-Set-up_20170421.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  117.1 KB
    We did respawns for as long as people wanted to play, and did two and a half hours of tight maneuvering and lots of gun jams. Snoopy was desparate for a Bullet Checker skill. Over the course of the evening, we had six people eventually end up playing, two veterans (Nikolas and myself), two novices (Matt and Adien), and two initiates (Zander and John).

Nikolas (Barker's Camel) takes out Adien (LvR Dr.1):
    Name:  WoGSnoopy-LvR-End1_20170421.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  148.2 KB

Matt (LvR Dr.1 respawn) collides with my (Kirschstein Dr.1):
    Name:  WoGSnoopy-Kirschstein-End_20170421.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  157.7 KB
    Matt drew a "1", and I drew a "0". Unfortunately, it was the spikey version. John's Camel was not affected.

Snoopy flew valiantly, but couldn't take both von Richthofens at the same time:
    Name:  WoGSnoopy-End1_20170421.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  165.4 KB
    Note: Zander was the youngest pilot at the table, but I think he had the most fun. Learned fast, and played even faster. He was on the table for a considerable time before taking this double hit. MvR did double "0"s with his shot, but LvR's first card of two was the "5". The doghouse became splinters.

Matt meets a grizzly end, when both Nikolas (Barker's Camel) and John (Stackard's Camel) did the double short blasts on his Dr.1:
    Name:  WoGSnoopy-LvR-End2_20170421.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  128.3 KB
    Payback for Snoopy!

---------------------------------

Dogfight Challenge tomorrow night....
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 04-22-2017 at 00:41.
    Mike

Dawg gonnit! Hope he had his trusty parachute! Looks like a new fan is born! Keep up the good work!

Saturday Evening: Dogfight Challenge

Eight people decided to join in the fun, for the Head-to-Head battles.

Layout of the Challenge in the Tabletop Gaming room on Saturday evening:
    Name:  InCON_Panorama_9PMComp.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  89.5 KB
    L-R: Melissa, Marcus, Mitchell, (not part of the Challenge in the rear) Rory, Hayden, (foreground) Nikolas, (rear) Ashley, (foreground) Tearlack, (rear) Connor, (not part of the Challenge in the far rear right) Dave, the Historical Miniatures Game Host.
    Melissa was shanghai'd into this, being the mother of Hayden, and chaperoning Mitchell, Hayden's friend. Nikolas was really the only veteran player in the group, with Connor and Hayden having played last year (I don't know if they have even played in the interim). Ashley and Tearlack were new this year, with Nikolas shanghai'ing Tearlack at the last minute to make up an even rotation.

Dogfight Challenge Winner with three straight wins: Mitchell. OldGuy59 presents Mitchell with a Wings of Glory Duel Pack (donated by Service Honoured).
    Name:  DogfightChlng_Winner1.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  115.7 KB

Dogfight Challenge Ace (Dishing out the most damage): Connor. OldGuy59 presents Connor with a Wings of Glory Duel Pack (donated by Service Honoured).
    Name:  DogfightChlng_Winner2.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  116.7 KB
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 04-24-2017 at 16:42.
    Mike

Sunday Afternoon: Open Flying
    Or How the Veteran Gets Trashed by the Rookie!

Only one person showed up for the Open Flying session, and that was Zander from the Friday night Snoopy vs the Red Baron game. Despite being shot down in spectacular fashion, he came back for another try.

We flew a bunch of planes, to give him some experience with different maneuver decks, and try out alternate tactics. Being that it was him and myself, we went with all sorts of things. One on one games, with: D.VII (Zander alway listed first) vs Snipe (me) - He shot me full of holes; S-S III vs Nieuport 28 - Zander saved by my drawing the Boom Card, with Zander's plane being badly shot up; Bristol Fighter vs D.VIII - Boom Card in two moves to me! Reset, and flew again.

This was the last battle:
    Name:  IMG_20170423_OpenFlyingDamage.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  179.0 KB
    I was all over Zander, but with the pilot using the Perfect Aim skill, and the rear gunner with the Bullet Checker skill, I was taking lots of shots. The "0"s saved me. Zander went down with our close-range exchange at the end, but he lit me up. I drew the damage in sportsmanship fashion, and got one "0", then another "0", and the Spiky "0". Mutual Kill!
    Note: D.VIII damage cards: "0" on the left - normal damage. "0"s on the right with the "2"s, all "+1"s. Bottom cards were the follow-on Fire damage. Ka-boom!

This is the guy that did me in:
    Name:  IMG_20170423_OpenFlyingZander.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  134.6 KB
    Yeah. He was pretty stoked. Took the Veteran out with three games and a tie.

Did I mention in the Friday Night post that Zander was a fast learner? A new addict for Wings of Glory?
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 04-24-2017 at 12:16.
    Mike

Sad to see your demise, but the new recruit looks hooked indeed! Good job to both of you! One never knows the impact one passionate person can have on the next generation . . .

Updated Saturday Night's Dogfight Challenge post, finally.
    Mike

Default InCon 2017

Looks like it was a good time Mike. You're a great ambassador for the game. Wish I could have been there.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Updated Saturday Night's Dogfight Challenge post, finally.

Great job, Mike.
    Fine effort to secure the next generation of pilots.

Similar Missions

1. Doncaster 2017
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Doncaster 2017
    Replies: 89
    Last Post: 09-20-2017, 09:38
  2. Hammerhead 2017 Sat 4 March 2017
    By Boney10 in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 03-11-2017, 10:32
  3. National Doncaster 2017
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 4