Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Special Projects: Gernika Bombing!

Default Special Projects: Gernika Bombing!

So your daughter is the curator of the Basque Museum and asks if you might be able to help with a display, need a German bomber bombing the city of Gernika in the opening days of the Spanish Civil War, what do you say?

Find some info of the bombing, a city scene of Gernika . . .

Research the bomb raids, find the one required, a Do17e

A few photos of the right bird

Then a mock up for size and aspect

Find a handy plastic model to serve as a guide

Looks to need to be big! Bring on the elves!

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Research the bomb raids, find the one required, a Do17e

Nice drawing, Dave. Are you hinting?
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Hinting? No, I have no plans in making a mini of this machine, there are already excellent Shapeways versions out there. : )

So what might the elves be up to ? We can only guess and hope to see the results.

Dave, you have to throw Picasso's painting in there somewhere.
    So how many books are in your personal library?

The elves don't get much rest, do they?

Um, not to be too picky, but: "Guernica". :)

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Um, not to be too picky, but: "Guernica".
    Can be, my Euskara isn't what it used to be . . .

I painted up a Do17 recon bomber for a Battle of France campaign that was supposed to run in 2010 - except Nexus went belly up. This one was a Helmet 1/200 model when that company was about the only place you could buy a decent range of 1/200 aircraft miniatures. The Dornier is a good looking machine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dornier Do17P.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	149.7 KB 
ID:	218759

And also Dave, I have previously uploaded a Guernica map (the actual town) for use in a scenario I wrote three years ago, links here:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...o=file&id=1301

There are a couple of errors in the text, a reference to I-16s when it should read I-15s for example. I used Ju 52s as the bombers in this one, just replace with your Do 17E.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/alb...chmentid=85496

The map prints out at 1414mm x 1000mm.

Name:	Guernica.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	204.6 KB 
ID:	218760
    Last edited by Carl_Brisgamer; 03-10-2017 at 17:53.

Something else I found in the archives - Rain of Destruction aircraft and management cards for a Spanish Civil War Do17.

Name:	Do17scw.png 
Views:	176 
Size:	374.7 KB 
ID:	218761

Name:	Do17scwman.png 
Views:	175 
Size:	278.8 KB 
ID:	218762

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    I painted up a Do17 recon bomber for a Battle of France campaign that was supposed to run in 2010 - except Nexus went belly up. This one was a Helmet 1/200 model when that company was about the only place you could buy a decent range of 1/200 aircraft miniatures. The Dornier is a good looking machine.

Name:	Dornier Do17P.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	149.7 KB 
ID:	218759
    Very nice! I have two finished similar in storage and a pair of Shapeways primed . . . the model for the exhibit will have a 25" wingspan, (63.5 cm)

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    And also Dave, I have previously uploaded a Guernica map (the actual town) for use in a scenario I wrote three years ago, links here:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...o=file&id=1301

There are a couple of errors in the text, a reference to I-16s when it should read I-15s for example. I used Ju 52s as the bombers in this one, just replace with your Do 17E.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/alb...chmentid=85496

The map prints out at 1414mm x 1000mm.

Name:	Guernica.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	204.6 KB 
ID:	218760
    Wow! Thanks! now I can make a cool diorama for them too!

Plans so far so big!

Here is a DVII that stopped to gawk!

Gotta clear off the "big" bench!

Noting the lopsided windscreen design resulting from the forward gun position.

Got up the courage to wander into the shop and check on elves progress on the Do17. They got the foam blanks and patterns together

Found out they were too thick for the band saw . . .

Had some fun with the hand saws . . .

Even caught them doing some carving and sanding . . .

Not bad for the day! Now back to the G&T therapy . . .

Dang! this is going to look amazing when it's finished!

as always, your productivity is amazing!!!

Looks like things are coming along. Can't wait to see the results as they progress and the final display.

Your elves seem to do good work sir...

I'm interested in how you are going to pack this thing to ship to Spain. Guess foam is at least lightweight...

Quote Originally Posted by greenalfonzo View Post
    I'm interested in how you are going to pack this thing to ship to Spain. Guess foam is at least lightweight...
    That would be a challenge, however the Basque Museum is in Boise, Idaho of all places and I get to see my grandson in exchange . . . : )

That makes sense. I used to work with a lady originally from Boise whose ex was Basque.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    That makes sense. I used to work with a lady originally from Boise whose ex was Basque.
    PNW, esp. the eastern reaches, is fairly similar to the Basque regions of Spain; hence the Basque population. (When _Crimson Skies_ was a going concern, The SO wanted her pilot character to be a Basque "aerial shepherd"....)

Of course, there's also similarities to South America, which is why we have llamas and alpacas. :)

Ready to send off to the museum . . . gonna take a box 36" x 48" x 8" . . . .

Extra large prop disks!

beautiful!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Lovely finish on the huge beastie, David! Hope it arrives safely!

All the best,
    Matt

Quite the project Dave. I will resist playing Wings at this scale.

I can hardly wait to see the finished diorama.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken at Sunrise View Post
    I can hardly wait to see the finished diorama.
    Same here!

Great work, David.

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

In situ

More pictures of the entire display to follow . . .

So now visitors can...

[sunglasses]

...BASQUE IN ITS GLORY?

B)

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    So now visitors can...

[sunglasses]

...BASQUE IN ITS GLORY?

B)
    Very droll;
    A clever pun, but remembering tragedy would be more appropriate.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Looks like the project is coming along and we will see the finished dio soon and help us remember what happened during that time. I have read a book about the SCW and you need a score card to keep track of the Republicans. There were so many factions I wondered who they were fighting.

Ignoring Chris on this. The bombing was tragically a foretaste of the horrific devastation of modern warpower the Do.17 ushered in that was just around the corner. I noticed the erie shadow it casts on the wall evoking the impending Stuka attacks that would bring the horror to Poland, very strange.

I often wonder the morality of a game that glorifies war, death and such destruction but one also clearly and quickly understands the importance of history and if engaging in its study and game play helps us to understand our past mistakes we can begin to build a better future remembering the sacrifices that were made so we could have freedom to make war a game instead of a reality. Time for my nap . . . . .

Ignoring Chris on this.
    That's my policy on EVERY post of his.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

i can see why you guys would feel that way about a pun about gernica. but turning something evil into the ridicules (ie like mel brooks did with hitler and nazism), if even for a moment, steals some of its "negative charisma" and thereby, some of its power. so laugh gentlemen. laugh!

I thought Chris was commenting on a well done model and soon to be finished diorama. Not any glory in devastation. There are plenty of models that have amazed me, and those I have congratulated the modeler on. Sometimes the model is just amazing realistic looking, sometime it evokes emotion too. But that doesn't take away from the tragedy of what happened or the joy of seeing something from a good modeler.

I played armymen as a kid. I wasn't glorifying or inditing either side. It was just a game for fun. I'm not making light of the horrors of WWI by playing this or any of my many war games. I am exercising 'the little grey cells' in a thematic game of strategy. From it, some may learn of history. For others, it is just reason to get together with friends for a pint.

What can I say? I get a little serious once in a while and my good friend Chris gets it, his humor and witt are delightful and like all things that have meanings on different levels, we respond where we are at the moment . . . is there an etymological connection to "pun" and "punishment?" should there be one? Is that why people wince at good puns?

is there an etymological connection to "pun" and "punishment?" should there be one? Is that why people wince at good puns?
    Usually they wince because I'm are so poor.

I often wonder the morality of a game that glorifies war, death and such destruction but one also clearly and quickly understands the importance of history and if engaging in its study and game play helps us to understand our past mistakes we can begin to build a better future remembering the sacrifices that were made so we could have freedom to make war a game instead of a reality.
    Me too. Then I got a preface to a gamebook of mine about Italian torpedo bombers. The preface was by a pilot who lost so many friends on S.79 "Gobbo Maledetto", Martino Aichner: "...A game about the S.79? About the plane that, used both as a bomber and as a torpedo-bomber with crews of five/six men, is the cause of the highest number of Italian airmen losses in al World War Two, it's not an irreverence. It's instead a way to renew the memory..."
    So I went on. And I did Wings of War (the Glory in the title has been put later by others). And I got a phone call by a lady whose father is in the game. With his name, his photo and an image of the plane in which he lost his life. She said that she had been puzzled at fiorst to find that in a game. But then she decided that it was a good way to remember him, and so many like him.
    So I go on...

Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo View Post
    [...]
    So I went on. And I did Wings of War (the Glory in the title has been put later by others). And I got a phone call by a lady whose father is in the game. With his name, his photo and an image of the plane in which he lost his life. She said that she had been puzzled at fiorst to find that in a game. But then she decided that it was a good way to remember him, and so many like him.
    So I go on...
    What an interesting and touching story. Thank you,

And thank you for going on and giving us the chance to connect with the heroes of our past.

It is important to remember those who gave themselves on the altar of war. I've been playing wargames for most of my life, without forgetting what they stand for, and also what we remember with them.
    I don't consider a wargame glorifying war, but a challenge to the players (usually without bloodshed), and an act of remembrance of those people and events.
    And I do value Chris' posts, and laugh at most of his humor.
    Karl

Let me add something to this.

In Sails of Glory, you always have the Option to strike the colours and I use this option.

Last one was at Prague - heavily damaged frigate - one damage point left - still afloat - crippled broadsied - facing two RN friagtes. I surrendered.

Same goes for Wings of Glory WW I.

Sometimes pilots were forced to land or decided to land by themselfes signalized the enemy that the fight is over. It was an aerial victory for the enemy.

There's is always an option for leaving the battlefield, too.

There are some aspects in WGF, WGs & SoG were you can choose not to fight to the death or kill the enemy to get the mark on the side rudder.
    Voilą le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Striking your colors was the signal at sea to surrender. If I remember correctly in WWII in the air the signal was to lower your landing gear to signal surrender. Not sure how well that worked since a plane could be shot up and the gear just came down.

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    Striking your colors was the signal at sea to surrender. If I remember correctly in WWII in the air the signal was to lower your landing gear to signal surrender. Not sure how well that worked since a plane could be shot up and the gear just came down.
    And this is where the myth of "the Luftwaffe vendetta against 100th Bomber Group" comes from. The story goes: A B-17 from the 100th dropped its gear; a brace of -109s closed on it; the B-17 raised its gear again and opened fire; from then on, the Germans specifically targeted any bomber with 100thBG markings, and other Allied BG crews wouldn't have anything to do with "dishonorable" 100thBG members. Not sure how much of the story is outright bunk, but that's the overview.

[Note lack of smilies, or any other indications of Humor in this post.]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. What happened to Zoe's thread on new projects?
    By clipper1801 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-03-2012, 23:39
  2. My projects to finish before Febuary 3rd!
    By richard m schwab in forum 1/144 Scale Dawn of War
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-31-2011, 12:36
  3. Two future projects on my wish list...
    By The Cowman in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-25-2011, 22:28
  4. Cowman's Terrain Projects
    By The Cowman in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-26-2010, 09:51
  5. Suggestions for 1st repaint projects?
    By Walt Powell in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-14-2010, 16:08