Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's on your workbench - March 2017

Default What's on your workbench - March 2017

Here we go again ... the fourth plane in my defending The Netherlands series ... a pair of Fokker G.1's, the (maybe) most well known fighters of the Dutch in 1940 ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	063.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	217811

Name:	062.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	217812
    Let's hope I manage to make them look nice ...

cheers,
    Guus
    "zet 'm op ... witte muizen !" (strijdkreet van 1e JaVa, Luchtvaart Afdeling, Nederland 1940)
    "let's go get them ... white mice !" (battlecry of the 1st Fighter Group, Army Air Force, Netherlands 1940)

Name:	fokker_G-1_large.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	76.6 KB 
ID:	217814

Source: Wilbur Graphics.com

Nice Line Drawing of this, too!

Name:	Fokker_G-1_Lines.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	217815
    (Hopefully the right version)
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 03-01-2017 at 01:06.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Yep Mike, that's the one, the Mercury engined one ... colourscheme is also spot-on.
    Now I just need to find the right manoeuvre card ... I'm hesitating between a Me110 N-deck or a Beaufighter M-deck ... (V-Max Me110= 550km/h, Beaufighter=488km/h, G.1 Mercury= 475km/h). Based on this alone a M-deck would be most fitting. Not sure about manoeuvrability though. Armament: 8x 7.92mm MG's in the nose, one trainable 7.92mm MG in the rear cupola.
    Let's see what the experts have to say...
    cheers,
    Guus
    "zet 'm op ... witte muizen !" (strijdkreet van 1e JaVa, Luchtvaart Afdeling, Nederland 1940)
    "let's go get them ... white mice !" (battlecry of the 1st Fighter Group, Army Air Force, Netherlands 1940)

I think the G.1 is a bit slow for the M deck; also with it's reported maneuverability, and with a bit over half the wingloading (and the same power/mass ratio) of the Beaufighter,
    I would go with a more spritely deck. I think the K deck would work fine.
    Hits: 16 or 17; the math says 18, but with partial wood construction, and the fact that the math for the Bf-110 says 21 when it's 18....
    Guns would be B-B/B for the front guns. The rear gun is A/A, but I'm not sure how to draw the arc. How much will the tail boom and plane interfere with gunnery?
    Ceiling: 11
    climb: 5

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Hi Karl,
    I don't think the G.1 is that much slower than the Beaufighter, just 13 km/h, but I agree it would be more manoeuvrable ... hmmm. The K-deck would make it just as fast (slow ?) as the D.XXI. How about I take the straight cards from the Beaufighter's M-deck and the others of the K-deck ? If that's not possible/allowed i'll go for the K-deck.
    Damage I would go for 17, the wood was rather sturdy, only when incendiary ammo was used ...
    The rear gun turret was actually a cone that could turn. So it would be the normal arc for firing aft, only up (and down ?), not level.

Your views /advise please,
    cheers,
    Guus

Interesting plane, can't wait to see your finished models.

Hi Peter,
    I hope you are a patient guy i'm not so fast
    chhers,
    Guus

Quote Originally Posted by Aardvark1430 View Post
    Hi Peter,
    I hope you are a patient guy i'm not so fast
    chhers,
    Guus
    Ok, no hurry Guus. I should have said, "I look forward to seeing your finished model".

Quote Originally Posted by Aardvark1430 View Post
    Hi Karl,
    I don't think the G.1 is that much slower than the Beaufighter, just 13 km/h, but I agree it would be more manoeuvrable ... hmmm. The K-deck would make it just as fast (slow ?) as the D.XXI. How about I take the straight cards from the Beaufighter's M-deck and the others of the K-deck ? If that's not possible/allowed i'll go for the K-deck.
    Damage I would go for 17, the wood was rather sturdy, only when incendiary ammo was used ...
    The rear gun turret was actually a cone that could turn. So it would be the normal arc for firing aft, only up (and down ?), not level.

Your views /advise please,
    cheers,
    Guus
    The Beaufighter is in the lower half of the range allowed by the M deck, it is actually is a bit faster in game than in life. 475km/h is only a few klicks above the actual speed of the K deck.
    So I would stay with the K.
    High and Low only sounds good, with maybe same at long range, like the normal blind spot rule.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Karl,
    thanks for your explanation, so I'll stay with the K-deck
    With regards to the rear gun ... we agree as well ...
    OK ... that settles it ...
    cheers,
    Guus

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Like Peter, I too look forward to seeing your masterful work on these beauties, Guus - I'm sure they'll be gorgeous! That three-color scheme is quite striking.

All the best,
    Matt

Hi Matt,
    I'll try not to disappoint you ...
    cheers,
    Guus

Guus from all the works you have done I know there will be no disappointment in your paint job on these. I guess this might compare to the P-38 LIGHTENING.

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    Guus from all the works you have done I know there will be no disappointment in your paint job on these. I guess this might compare to the P-38 LIGHTENING.
    One of the articles I read today (thanks Guus, for expanding my reading list) claims that the designer(s) was(were) inspired by the Fokker G.1.
    Karl

as the man said ...
    cheers,
    Guus

Thanks Karl. Looking at photos of a P-38 and you can see how similar they are. 8 guns so armed pretty well for its time.
    Last edited by BobP; 03-02-2017 at 12:16.

Have to wonder why they took the 2 23mm cannon out of the original design?
    Karl

Good question. It would have been armed like the P-38. I can't wait to see the paint job that Guus does.

Guus when you finish the G1's how about a photo of the entire Dutch AF you have made and then seeing them in battle ?

@ Bob:
    Yessss ..., well..., but there are also the very (!) unlucky Douglas (Northrop) 8A-4N's I recently acquired to paint ...
    but maybe we will do a small battle involving all the planes that are operational ... soon (ish)
    @ Karl:
    the obvious thought that springs to mind: the cannon (though shown in the non-flyable proto at the airshow in Paris) needed were not available to the Dutch at that moment in time ... as were a lot of other arms needed by the Dutch but not available ... the Belgian FN 7.92mm MG's obviously were available in quantity ...
    cheers,
    Guus

Finally made some room for little planes:

Name:	20170304_111605_001.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	241.5 KB 
ID:	218081Click image for larger version. 

ID:	218081

Name:	WGS-Work-FokkerG-1_3JaVA_Card.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	223.1 KB 
ID:	218101

Background: South East of Amsterdam, courtesy of Google Earth
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by BB401 View Post
    Finally made some room for little planes:

ID:	218081Click image for larger version. 

ID:	218081
    Looks like the site of a collision!

Order will ensue. Valom Nieuport 17, Fokker D.VII.
    Dissected Ares Albatros being upgraded and repainted.

Can't wait to see that when your done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post

Name:	WGS-Work-FokkerG-1_3JaVA_Card.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	223.1 KB 
ID:	218101

Background: South East of Amsterdam, courtesy of Google Earth
    Hi Mike,
    another masterpiece !
    3.JaVA, Waalhaven ... you're becoming an expert on the Dutch airforce of 1940 Background is a nice detail
    I've sourced another pair of K-decks in France, they are currently flying my way.
    So, all that's left now is for me to finish painting them ... I think I need a good ...

Oh and btw I finished putting the templates for the T.V on the Litko bases, some "bubbling" alas, it's looks pretty good. Thanks again for them.
    cheers,
    Guus

Great looking card and I know the paint job will match up pretty nicely.

Order will ensue. Valom Nieuport 17, Fokker D.VII.
    Dissected Ares Albatros being upgraded and repainted.
    Ok. Pushed one out the hangar door this evening. Jasta 16b Fokker D.VII, pilot unknown.

Name:	20170306_211119_001.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	117.6 KB 
ID:	218343

Ok. Pushed one out the hangar door this evening. Jasta 16b Fokker D.VII, pilot unknown.

Name:	20170306_211119_001.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	117.6 KB 
ID:	218343
    Darned if it wasn't replaced by a shapeways S.E.5a. The queue gets longer.....

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Very nice job, Bob
    Thanks. First time I've been satisfied with DIY decals. I'll get better pics and post on the Painting thread.

Hi Bob,
    very nice it turned out. Looking forward to see your SE5a's, have some in the queu myself ...
    cheers,
    Guus

Nice one Bob.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

That's a cracker! Very well done!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Beautiful work, Bob! Inspires me to finish up the DVII I've had sitting on my workbench for ages...

All the best,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    Beautiful work, Bob! Inspires me to finish up the DVII I've had sitting on my workbench for ages...

All the best,
    Matt
    I feel your pain. This one has been collecting dust since before last Christmas...... I finally made room and time over the holidays.
    Last edited by BB401; 03-07-2017 at 08:32.

Really nice DVII Bob!... and yes, there are always two more painting projects to take the place of what was just finished.

wow! nice DVII!!!! i like the contrast between the lozenge camo and the checkering.

Nice D.VII, Bob. What style printer did you use for the decals. (I might ask for the file of the Bavarian field colors ).
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Nice D.VII, Bob. What style printer did you use for the decals. (I might ask for the file of the Bavarian field colors ).
    Karl
    Be happy to send file and printer/paper/ink/settings thus evening.

Be happy to send file and printer/paper/ink/settings thus evening.
    Thanks.
    Karl

Superlative effort on the Fokker D.VII Bob, simply first class.

I am trying to clear old half finished projects. I currently have four 1/200 Shapeways FUD Polikarpov I-15s on the workbench which I primed in 2013! I think it's time I finished them off. After that I must attend to a couple of 1/200 Fiat CR.32s. And of course I have more Battle of Britain squadron packs arriving every week. With my Battlemech painting as well that will likely do me for March.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    I am trying to clear old half finished projects. I currently have four 1/200 Shapeways FUD Polikarpov I-15s on the workbench which I primed in 2013! I think it's time I finished them off. After that I must attend to a couple of 1/200 Fiat CR.32s. And of course I have more Battle of Britain squadron packs arriving every week. With my Battlemech painting as well that will likely do me for March.
    Spanish Republican I-15s are coming on, I might actually finish them this weekend.

Name:	IMG_9938.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	18.1 KB 
ID:	218754

Thanks Carl. I have 2 of them sitting here right now. Just waiting to paint them.

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    Thanks Carl. I have 2 of them sitting here right now. Just waiting to paint them.
    It might just be my eyes as I approach the big 5-0, but painting 1/200 scale biplanes is not as fun as it used to be

For a plane like this just a straight up paint job. Nothing special.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Hammerhead 2017 Sat 4 March 2017
    By Boney10 in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 03-11-2017, 10:32
  2. What's on your workbench - February 2017
    By Aardvark1430 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 110
    Last Post: 02-28-2017, 14:19
  3. What's on your Workbench - January 2017
    By David Manley in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 117
    Last Post: 01-31-2017, 12:43
  4. Whats on your workbench for March 2015!
    By FarEast in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 169
    Last Post: 04-04-2015, 12:28
  5. What's on your workbench this March.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 92
    Last Post: 03-29-2013, 13:34