Ares Games

Thread: SERIES 4 RAF SE 5a

Default SERIES 4 RAF SE 5a

Is it my imagination or do I never see these planes for sale? I have not seen them in the store or on ebay.
    Am I going to get gouged when I do?

Not your imagination Lance - it was series 4, released in 2010 by Nexus, so not even an Ares product. They do come up for sale occasionally and can be expensive depending on how keen the bidding is and how much you want one !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

I've kind of given up hope for getting the SE 5a or the Pfalz D.IIIa. Maybe someday but I do have plenty of planes for now.

The last 4 SE5a's on ebay in the UK went for £85, £81, £77 and £75.

The last was a Boudwin, around 3 months ago.

I have acquired mine as members of job-lots; makes 'em a bit cheaper that way.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Wow. So its either find them buried in a larger auction or go shapeways. I am not a "collector" but I love that plane.

I am exploring the Shapeways option for some Sopwith Pups, and loving the experience so far.

Go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by surfimp View Post
    I am exploring the Shapeways option for some Sopwith Pups, and loving the experience so far.

Go for it!
    Yea. I think its time.

Quote Originally Posted by surfimp View Post

Go for it!
    That's not the best option for non-painters/modellers such as myself.

No one could be worse at modeling or art than I. I failed finger painting and can barely draw a stick man. I bought a couple of Se5's from Shapeways and I am happy with the result. They are a long way from professional looking but are definitely playable. Apart frm washing them in hot soapy water to start with I did nothing fancy just a couple of coats of light for the underside and some dark green for the upper surfaces.

Series 3 and 5 are being reprinted this year. Maybe 4 stands a chance as well?

Series 3 this year; but probably not until late summer/autumn.

If Ares follow their usual pattern, they'll do a new release next, before Series 4 reprint: but they also have to fit in the Midway release for WW2, and probably a WW2 bomber "special" release.

I'm guessing we won't see a Series 4 reprint run until mid 2019.

"Series 5" would be the Sopwith Camel/Fokker Triplane run - this is already a "Series 1" reprint itself. I don't think Ares are doing them again in the next few years, and certainly not this year.

Series 5 as in the DH 2, Fokker E.III, Halberstadt D.III, and Morane-Saulnier N. It's already been confirmed for "within the year". Series 3 if I recall correctly is late spring/early summer.

Quote Originally Posted by cm321 View Post
    Series 5 as in the DH 2, Fokker E.III, Halberstadt D.III, and Morane-Saulnier N. It's already been confirmed for "within the year". Series 3 if I recall correctly is late spring/early summer.
    Really?! I'd heard nothing about that - hope it comes to pass!

When the DH-2's and SE5's were not out yet or not available. Here are mixed groups of Shapeways and Official minis. Pick the originals!: DH-2's

SE5's:

Even harder to choose at a real distance of 4' on the game mats! If you wanna and canna getta, give Shapeways a try, and if you are not a modeler, ask a member to paint one for you! I think you will be happy with the models!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Really?! I'd heard nothing about that - hope it comes to pass!
    I think this statement by Andrea on boardgamegeek is what Corey is referring to:

Name:  s5.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  20.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by brdavis View Post
    I think this statement by Andrea on boardgamegeek is what Corey is referring to:

If that is the case it may mean Series 4 reprint even earlier. November-December perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by brdavis View Post

Brian, you are a true spy

The Nexus DH2's are in the front row, the Nexus S.E.5a's are the one in brown and cream camouflage and number 19.

Other possibilities for S.E.5a's are the Valom plastic model kits and the Reviresco metal model kits.

Thought about trying this route, but it leaves the question of maneuver decks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn Patrol View Post
    My thoughts exactly. That's the only drawback that has stayed my hand ...

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn Patrol View Post
    My thoughts exactly. That's the only drawback that has stayed my hand ...

Quote Originally Posted by cm321 View Post
    You have just MADE my day, Corey! I'd pretty much given up hope of ever seeing ANY early war reprints!!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    The last 4 SE5a's on ebay in the UK went for £85, £81, £77 and £75.
    Yeah, I've seen that things can get a little pricey in this hobby. I bought a balloon almost a year ago for $60 and just shelled out $35 for a lucky find DH.2 on "evil"-Bay ... but that's NOTHING compared with the prices you've quoted! I'd love to get my hands on an SE.5a--it was the very first airplane model I ever built--but not for that kind of money. I'll wait ...

If you want N maneuver decks for S.E.5a's, there are two possibilities. Firstly, Nexus published some booster packs of cards; the one called Dogfight contained cards for S.E.5a's , Siemen Schuckert D.III/IV's, 2 N decks and 2 O decks but these cards are as rare as S.E.5a models. Secondly, in the Files section of this site there are some MATES cards; these are maneuver templates for using planes in solo play but each card has all the maneuvers from a particular maneuver deck. http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...o=file&id=2366

The old booster packs are the way to go. You get many different plane cards and a few maneuver decks. Then you can flesh out your airfleet with shapeways airframes. I was lucky enough to get one of each and still lean towards getting more for the decks. Nice thing about the plane cards is they are painting guides for the shapeways airframes.

Heck, the last WoW booster pack I saw that had SE.5 maneuver decks was going for a stupid amount of money, too.. something like $70 CAD.

Though if Ares does a DH.2 run this year I will be a happy man.

Quote Originally Posted by kalnaren View Post
    So will I, but this old sceptic doesn't believe it'll happen.

Quote Originally Posted by kalnaren View Post
    Heck, the last WoW booster pack I saw that had SE.5 maneuver decks was going for a stupid amount of money, too.. something like $70 CAD.

Well, we should get a series 4 reprint before the DH-2s (series 5), so I'm betting no to the DH-2 his year.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Similar Missions

1. WGF: Series 7, what we know
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 156
    Last Post: 03-29-2014, 09:41
  2. Wings of Glory next Series after Series 6
    By Kaiser in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 03-25-2013, 14:49
  3. WGF Seeking some series 1-3 minis, have some of series 1, 2 and 4 to trade
    By Xen in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-09-2012, 07:06
  4. old series (especially series 1) reprints?
    By Black Bishop in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-26-2012, 06:29
  5. Series 2 and Series 4 for sale
    By kduke42 in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-02-2011, 16:10