Ares Games

Thread: Brass tubing for flight stand posts?

Default Brass tubing for flight stand posts?

Greetings once again from pesky 'ol Cowman!

While playing at Origins last year I noticed that our host Ralph had used brass tubing for posts on some of the flight stands from Aerodrome Accessories. I did not take a close look at how he had attached them.

I am wondering if anyone here has any experience with using brass tubing on the stands , and if they would be able to share their trade secrets. I picked up a few of the stands and am looking to use them for the Reviresco kits I am building.

If you look a the picture above you can see two examples of how Ralph used them. I would prefer not to use a similar method as it would not allow me to use the altitude and climb rate rings that came with my stands.

I may be barking at the wind here but any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again in advance!

P.S. I promise to stop flooding the forums with my questions (at least for a while) after this.
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Why not use acrylic tube? It is far less obtrusive. I used it for my Skytrex balloons and they are O.K. at 8" above the table with a 5mm acrylic rod to support them.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Rob,

Your idea with the acrylics sounds good...do you have any pics to share?

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Why not use acrylic tube? It is far less obtrusive. I used it for my Skytrex balloons and they are O.K. at 8" above the table with a 5mm acrylic rod to support them.
    Rob.
    I have a lack of access to acrylic tubing that will fit Keith's flight stands... and I have tons of brass tubing on hand...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

I have used jewelry clasps in the past with brass rod for my Babylon 5 minis.
    I do not have any pictures though.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullduggery View Post
    I have used jewelry clasps in the past with brass rod for my Babylon 5 minis.
    I do not have any pictures though.
    Thanks Brian, I have seen that technique and it works well... however I am more concerned with how to keep the brass tube attached to the flight stand itself. I plan to use gimble mounts on top of the tubes for the planes...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Quote Originally Posted by MayorJim View Post
    Rob,

Your idea with the acrylics sounds good...do you have any pics to share?
    I will try and dig one out for you. The real problem is the taper hole in the top of the small flight pegs. It is hexagonal to provide a friction grip, and can't easily be replicated without casting the peg. I just set the height of the balloon and dial it down with the Cols altitude indicator.
    Rob..
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

If you use the brass tube, might I suggest spraying it a very light sky blue.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed2 View Post
    If you use the brass tube, might I suggest spraying it a very light sky blue.
    Great idea... thats a done deal if I can figure out a good way to attach the darn things!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Similar Missions

1. And when will the 1/144 B-25 stand coming?
    By Captain Knowitall in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-22-2010, 19:02
  2. Big Bird for the Big Brass
    By pflanzer in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 09-26-2010, 10:13
  3. Height Marker Posts
    By rosscoc87 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-23-2010, 11:22
  4. I'm Ringing The Brass Bell!