Ares Games

Thread: Reviresco Building time: Need Advice!

Default Reviresco Building time: Need Advice!

Greetings from pesky' ol Cowman!!

Today I received my shipment from Reviresco and am anxious to start construction... however I am going to choose to look before I leap!

I spent a bit of time this morning scanning through the hobby room threads looking for advice and tips on building and painting Reviresco models, and I did see a few specific threads on kits that I do not have... but, due to the large number of posts, I was really unable to finding any general advice on Reviresco or specific threads on on the kits I got today:
    • Sopwith Camel
    • Fokker Dr.1
    • RAF SE.5a
    • Sopwith Triplane

I am wondering if any of our experienced builders out there have any tips or suggestions for Reviresco kits or can point me to a thread that might help!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Default Sopwith Tripe.

This is the only one on your list that I have built.
    BUILDING THE REV TRIPE.

1. Clean off any flashing on the model
    2. Fill any cavities and rub down.
    3. Photo copy several images of the card jig supplied.
    4. Don’t cut up the jig but use each one as a full box to slip over each wing. It gives a firmer structure and makes it easier to position all the wing parts in alignment.
    5. Glue the bottom wing into place.
    6. Do a dry run of the wing assembly with the jig.
    7. Assemble the wings with the jigs in place. Don’t worry about trapping them, you can cut them off afterwards. Be very careful to get the alignment of the wings correct. They should be staggered forward. The jig will help here.
    8. When glue has set, carefully cut off the jigs.
    9. Turn the plane over and glue the undercart.
    10. As per usual I left the prop off until the body is painted.
    11. Spray your undercoat on .
    12. Paint plane pilot and prop.
    13. This is where I make my decals for registration Nos. Name on plane and any other bits.
    14. Attach decals and when dry brush over lightly with Microsol to set them.
    15. Glue in prop.
    16. Varnish to taste.
    N.B. As this was the first plane I did I only have a final shot of it. No assembly pictures I’m afraid. I think it is the second hardest plane I have done. Hope this helps.
    Rob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01763.jpg  
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Do the Se5a fuselage halves matchup(mine did not but I fixed the problem) and did the kit come with inter wing Struts? Once those questions are answered I can give you some build advice on the Se5a.

Ken,
    Sorry I can't offer any tips...but Rob's model looks good...

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    BUILDING THE REV TRIPE.

...N.B. As this was the first plane I did I only have a final shot of it. No assembly pictures I’m afraid. I think it is the second hardest plane I have done. Hope this helps.
    Rob.
    Thanks Rob. I bought two Tripe kits so this will definitely give me a place to start. I will be printing this guide off to keep handy at the hobby table! You should write a guide book! Maybe Keith should give you your own section with links to each of your guides...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Quote Originally Posted by gregbond77 View Post
    Do the Se5a fuselage halves matchup(mine did not but I fixed the problem) and did the kit come with inter wing Struts? Once those questions are answered I can give you some build advice on the Se5a.
    Greg, the fusleage halves seem to fit perfectly, and it appears that all the struts are present. I will say that this kit has some of the worst flash I have ever seen on a metal mini. It would appear that Mr. McEwan's molds have seen some serious use...

Thanks for your offer of help!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Rob, nice instructions.
    But what did you use to mount the plane on the WoW peg? And how did you install it?

BUILDING THE REV TRIPE.

1. Clean off any flashing on the model
    2. Fill any cavities and rub down.
    3. Photo copy several images of the card jig supplied.
    4. Don’t cut up the jig but use each one as a full box to slip over each wing. It gives a firmer structure and makes it easier to position all the wing parts in alignment.
    5. Glue the bottom wing into place.
    6. Do a dry run of the wing assembly with the jig.
    7. Assemble the wings with the jigs in place. Don’t worry about trapping them, you can cut them off afterwards. Be very careful to get the alignment of the wings correct. They should be staggered forward. The jig will help here.
    8. When glue has set, carefully cut off the jigs.
    9. Turn the plane over and glue the undercart.
    10. As per usual I left the prop off until the body is painted.
    11. Spray your undercoat on .
    12. Paint plane pilot and prop.
    13. This is where I make my decals for registration Nos. Name on plane and any other bits.
    14. Attach decals and when dry brush over lightly with Microsol to set them.
    15. Glue in prop.
    16. Varnish to taste.
    N.B. As this was the first plane I did I only have a final shot of it. No assembly pictures I’m afraid. I think it is the second hardest plane I have done. Hope this helps.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed2 View Post
    Rob, nice instructions.
    But what did you use to mount the plane on the WoW peg? And how did you install it?
    It looks like a tiny wooden dowel. I assume one could drill a hole into the bottom of the mini and glue it in place?
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Quote Originally Posted by The Cowman View Post
    It looks like a tiny wooden dowel. I assume one could drill a hole into the bottom of the mini and glue it in place?
    I just turned a peg out of the acrylic I have, and gave the bottom a 2 degree taper. Its easy if you have a lathe, otherwise I believe some people trim down a cocktail stick. Just drill a hole and glue it in. Try to find the C of G of the plane by suspending it on a bit of thread.
    Rob.

I just turned a peg out of the acrylic I have, and gave the bottom a 2 degree taper. Its easy if you have a lathe, otherwise I believe some people trim down a cocktail stick. Just drill a hole and glue it in. Try to find the C of G of the plane by suspending it on a bit of thread.
    Rob.
    I make mine from plastic rod, and, as I don't have a lathe, i put it in my mini-drill and file it to a taper as it turns.

To mount my metal mini's I simply put a magnet on the plane and one atop a WoW peg and voila!

I would possibly like to buy more Reverisco types for 1915/6 but have great difficulty with the cabane struts and the undercarraige assembly, the only real tools I have are some metal files and a pair of scissors

Any tips.

Rob.
    Daggone it! I spent all my money on WoW goodies and now I can't afford a lathe!!!

I like the idea of using thread to find the center of gravity first... would not have thought of that! I will however have to practice my knot tying, as I can see my freshly constructed and painted models plummeting to an early doom due to my forgetting my old boy scout skills!

Thanks for the all the suggestions Rob!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

I like the idea of using thread to find the center of gravity first... would not have thought of that! I will however have to practice my knot tying, as I can see my freshly constructed and painted models plummeting to an early doom due to my forgetting my old boy scout skills!
    !
    A little bluetak goes a long way and can be moved for ease of adjustment.
    Rob.

A little bluetak goes a long way and can be moved for ease of adjustment.
    Rob.
    Somehow, I missed this post... I had to look up what bluetak was! Thx never thought of that!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Somehow, I missed this post... I had to look up what bluetak was! Thx never thought of that!
    BluTak is a truely wonderful product with so many uses when making models etc. I use lumps of it to stick small parts to for ease of painting. Ideal for those Peter Pig pilots etc.....

Similar Missions

1. Building a FE. 2B
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 02-03-2011, 13:18
  2. Building the A.E.G. G1V.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 11-24-2010, 14:22
  3. Need some plane advice
    By Greywolf in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 8