Ares Games

Thread: Colour suggestions for B&W photo of Albatros D.Va

Default Colour suggestions for B&W photo of Albatros D.Va

I hope some of you folks might be able to assist me in identifying likely colours for this Albatros D.Va Werknummer D.7183/17 assigned to a Marine Feld Jasta.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Albatros%20D.Va%20Marine%20Field%20Jasta%20D.7183~17,%20Neumunster%20Seefrosta.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	155.1 KB 
ID:	215363

I am fairly sure the upper wing is the standard dark green and mauve pattern which also appears on the horizontal tailplane. The fuselage appears to be varnished natural wood and the vertical stabiliser could be a dark green.

I am seeking suggestions on the colours of the fuselage bands just behind the cockpit.

If anyone has any ideas about the colouration of this machine please provide feedback.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    I hope some of you folks might be able to assist me in identifying likely colours for this Albatros D.Va Werknummer D.7183/17 assigned to a Marine Feld Jasta.

Name:	Albatros%20D.Va%20Marine%20Field%20Jasta%20D.7183~17,%20Neumunster%20Seefrosta.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	155.1 KB 
ID:	215363

I am fairly sure the upper wing is the standard dark green and mauve pattern which also appears on the horizontal tailplane. The fuselage appears to be varnished natural wood and the vertical stabiliser could be a dark green.

I am seeking suggestions on the colours of the fuselage bands just behind the cockpit.

If anyone has any ideas about the colouration of this machine please provide feedback.

Thanks.
    On closer inspection there also appears to be a color demarcation line on the vertical stabilizer, perhaps black closer to the rudder?

One guess is since it is a Marine Jasta maybe the dark band forward of the white on the vertical tail could be yellow? Just a guess as yellow seems to be widely used in Marine units.

The photo of the plane just to the right of the one you are looking for has that same dark band on the tail fin. "Here" Listed as Neumunster Seefrosta just like your plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    The photo of the plane just to the right of the one you are looking for has that same dark band on the tail fin. "Here" Listed as Neumunster Seefrosta just like your plane.
    I don't think it is yellow, it would probably look more like the fuselage which appears to be the yellowish timber finish. I have searched numerous online resources as well as my library with nothing even close to this aircraft. I was hoping someone might have experience discerning colour from B&W and come up with a best guess. At the moment given it is so dark I am thinking black for the vertical panel on the tail, dark green for the rest of the stabiliser.

As for the fuselage bands it is a tough call. I am leaning towards the dark stripe being red and the lighter colour possibly a light blue or green.

I found this one - Gerhard Hubrich's Albatros. The background to the chicken and egg insignia is blue - it looks similar to dark band around the Albatros fuselage in the photo. So maybe the dark bands are blue and the light bands red?

Name:	Albatros D.Va 5815-17 Gerhard Hubrich - MFJ IV (AL0575-002).jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	215405

Photographs of Jasta 10 are known to have the "chromium yellow" show up as black on orthochromatic film.
    Hence Nexus's mistake on the fuselage stripe on the Klein Pfalz DIII model.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Here is something to go on for color interpertation. I don't yet have a description of the plane but I would hope whoever did the color plate has.

Name:	Lothar Weiland.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	215421

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

The Seefrostas used yellow as their identifying color, just like the Marinefeldjastas...so I think the tail and stabilizers are probably that standard 'chrome yellow' that always appears so dark in black and white photos. Typically it was used on nose band, spinner, wheels, and tail assembly as Peter's insert above shows. The fuselage is cool with its large cross and the smaller crosses on the wings and tail. The fuselage is probably natural wood, like the picture above. The fuselage band is anybody's guess: red and blue, dark blue and light blue...often the colors were associated with previous units the pilots served in or with the ribbons of medals they'd earned or with the colors of their home states...

This is a cool plane to paint/repaint, Carl! I may have to co-opt a version for my Seefrosta/MFJ group I'm currently repainting.

All the best,
    Matt

Smile

I don't think it is yellow, it would probably look more like the fuselage which appears to be the yellowish timber finish. I have searched numerous online resources as well as my library with nothing even close to this aircraft. I was hoping someone might have experience discerning colour from B&W and come up with a best guess. At the moment given it is so dark I am thinking black for the vertical panel on the tail, dark green for the rest of the stabiliser.

As for the fuselage bands it is a tough call. I am leaning towards the dark stripe being red and the lighter colour possibly a light blue or green.
    I agree with you Carl on the fuselage stripe being Red & (probably light) Blue.
    That was my first take before I read this post.
    As for the Tail. Well could be Yellow as depending on the type of film used Yellow can come out looking black. Another option could be dark green.

Good luck in your search!

Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    The Seefrostas used yellow as their identifying color, just like the Marinefeldjastas...so I think the tail and stabilizers are probably that standard 'chrome yellow' that always appears so dark in black and white photos. Typically it was used on nose band, spinner, wheels, and tail assembly as Peter's insert above shows. The fuselage is cool with its large cross and the smaller crosses on the wings and tail. The fuselage is probably natural wood, like the picture above. The fuselage band is anybody's guess: red and blue, dark blue and light blue...often the colors were associated with previous units the pilots served in or with the ribbons of medals they'd earned or with the colors of their home states...

This is a cool plane to paint/repaint, Carl! I may have to co-opt a version for my Seefrosta/MFJ group I'm currently repainting.

All the best,
    Matt
    Thanks for the response Matt. I had thought about the medal ribbons but was not aware of any blue/red German decorations until after your post when I decided to do some more digging.......

Name:	Friedrich_August-Kreuz_Oldenburg_1914.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	215501

The Friedrich-August-Kreuz (military order) instituted on 24 September 1914 by Frederick Augustus II, Grand Duke of Oldenburg, with two classes, for (to quote its citation) "all persons of military or civilian status, who have shown outstanding service during the war itself". The Cross was for all ranks and was the Grand Duchy’s equivalent of the Prussian Iron Cross for bravery in the field. Oldenburg is a north German city located near the great ports of Wilhelmshaven and Bremerhaven, and many of the recipients were navy men.

I am happy to go with these colours - time to start making some decals.

Thanks to all those who took the time to respond, I have REP'ed you where I can - sorry Pete and Baz I have apparently already given you too much REP-love recently!

Thumbs up

Thanks for the response Matt. I had thought about the medal ribbons but was not aware of any blue/red German decorations until after your post when I decided to do some more digging.......

Name:	Friedrich_August-Kreuz_Oldenburg_1914.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	215501

The Friedrich-August-Kreuz (military order) instituted on 24 September 1914 by Frederick Augustus II, Grand Duke of Oldenburg, with two classes, for (to quote its citation) "all persons of military or civilian status, who have shown outstanding service during the war itself". The Cross was for all ranks and was the Grand Duchy’s equivalent of the Prussian Iron Cross for bravery in the field. Oldenburg is a north German city located near the great ports of Wilhelmshaven and Bremerhaven, and many of the recipients were navy men.

I am happy to go with these colours - time to start making some decals.

Thanks to all those who took the time to respond, I have REP'ed you where I can - sorry Pete and Baz I have apparently already given you too much REP-love recently!
    Looks the goods to me Carl!

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Looks the goods to me Carl!
    Finished painting and have fixed the national insignias, just went to print up the fuselage bands - and the printer runs of out blue ink

I'll get some more tomorrow.

What color would you use on the Albatros D fuselage? I believe it’s wooden plywood right? I remember reading about the the colors someone used on here, I just don’t remember where it is??

Quote Originally Posted by badlands122 View Post
    What color would you use on the Albatros D fuselage? I believe it’s wooden plywood right? I remember reading about the the colors someone used on here, I just don’t remember where it is??
    Ross, I'd look at the painting showcase to see some examples of Albatros D.III and D.Va wooden fuselages. There are a number of nice examples in there.

I will, Thank You Sir.

I am assuming that you clipped your photograph from the one on the Wingnut site, which shows more aircraft.

A similar question was asked on the other Aerodrome website and in one reply, someone called Craig from Jollyville, Texas wrote, "THE JASTA PILOTS from Grub Street has, in one of its appendices, a list of all Jastas, and colors where known."

I do not own that book but someone here may.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    I am assuming that you clipped your photograph from the one on the Wingnut site, which shows more aircraft.

A similar question was asked on the other Aerodrome website and in one reply, someone called Craig from Jollyville, Texas wrote, "THE JASTA PILOTS from Grub Street has, in one of its appendices, a list of all Jastas, and colors where known."

I do not own that book but someone here may.
    I think he's looking for paint colours used by members to represent natural plywood, not the specific colour schemes of the various units/pilots...............
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

This may be of some use.

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?20026

Thought this was so good that after spending an hour tracking it down I have copied it into the "How to" Forum.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 08-14-2018 at 02:58.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Similar Missions

1. Colour schemes for Valom Albatros
    By Guntruck in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-10-2014, 14:34
  2. Can anyone help identify a colour from a black and white photo?
    By Womble in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-13-2013, 15:00
  3. What colour's that Albatros?
    By Zoe Brain in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 09-18-2012, 14:12
  4. Richthofen's Albatros colour scheme
    By Bedlam in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 11-12-2010, 11:03
  5. A WWI French aerophone colour photo