Ares Games

Thread: Scoring a shoot down with a pistol (Trench Fire)

Default Scoring a shoot down with a pistol (Trench Fire)

So we’re almost a year into a multi-player campaign dealing with Escadrille Lafayette. An interesting situation came up and I would like opinions on how to resolve it.

There were eight of us in the engagement (four American versus four German). I had just shot down a Roland C.II when I in turn drew a flame card as I was attacked by an Albatros D.II/III.

I went into an over dive in an attempt to blow out the flames, but that didn’t work. So I continued to descend and landed on a road. To my dismay, and I must admit disgust, the guy who shot me followed me down and strafed my plane. It was like the scene from Fly Boys. I drew zero damage from the attack and decided to return fire with my pistol.

After some discussion, we treated the pistol like trench fire. An A-card was drawn which turned out to be the explosion card. We were pretty unanimous that downing the Albatros shouldn’t count towards gaining an Ace card, but it was an interesting enough situation that I thought I should ask and see what others thought.

Besides, shooting down an airplane with a pistol after being forced down seemed like such a cool situation I had to share it.

Serves him right!
    But I think an "A" card for a single pistol is a bit much.
    Given you got the BOOM card I think I would let it stand, however, just this once.

I would suggest that in future make it a two-stage draw, similar to what we do in Over the Trenches for AA :
    1) draw an "A" card. All that matters is you must have "Special Damage" (including the boom card) but it does not apply - it is just to allow you to move to stage 2.
    2) draw a "B" card and count the damage number only, no special damage applicable - except a second BOOM would take him down.

Sounds very 'Hollywood' to me but, like Pete, as you drew the Boom card I'd let that one go just this once and let that be a lesson to him !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

In the Fly Boys movie, our hero did kill the "Black Falcon" with a pistol

I'd have the Lafayette pilot recorded as dead before he reached the ground.

A Nieuport sesquiplane (N11, or N16 or N17) would take an 'A' card for structural damage if completely untouched, and attempting an overdive.

The same fragile "poor diver" plane, damaged and on fire, would be an automatic BOOM under my house rules, shedding its lower wing - pilot KIA.

No following situation to resolve, so the utterly ridiculous assigning of an 'A' card to a pistol shot (equivalent of 50 riflemen in a trench, or two belt-fed machine guns) would not need to be addressed.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

like others have said. theres no way a single pistol should deal an A damage card. frankly a B card would be too much as well. im not sure how id treat it. but it not like shooting an airplane down with a pistol is unprecedented. just rare.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...b-bBd9LzLw7WwQ

Welcome back to the Drome Chuck, but would you please revert to your original persona of FlyingAce, as two membership entries at the same time is not allowed.
    You are more than welcome to change your handle to the new one on that profile page, and to update your new E-male address as well if you wish.
    Thanking you in advance for your cooperation in this matter.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    I'd have the Lafayette pilot recorded as dead before he reached the ground.

A Nieuport sesquiplane (N11, or N16 or N17) would take an 'A' card for structural damage if completely untouched, and attempting an overdive.

The same fragile "poor diver" plane, damaged and on fire, would be an automatic BOOM under my house rules, shedding its lower wing - pilot KIA.

No following situation to resolve, so the utterly ridiculous assigning of an 'A' card to a pistol shot (equivalent of 50 riflemen in a trench, or two belt-fed machine guns) would not need to be addressed.
    Agree totally with your take on this Tim.

Taking out a Albatross with a pistol (Firing an A card too! ) is just "Not On".
    I wont even go on to a N17 on fire & doing an Overdive.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by SgtRock57 View Post
    In the Fly Boys movie, our hero did kill the "Black Falcon" with a pistol
    Yeah but thats Hollywood for you & at least that was Air to Air not from the ground at how many Meters!

No where in the rules does it say any kind of plane looses a wing in overdive. It doesn't say how many men are in a trench either. But it does say a trench uses an A card and only special damage counts. My pilot was on a road next to the trench card and the Albatros flew close enough to be shot at a single time by it. I'm not an expert on either but i read about two American pilots who flew nieuports in overdive situations. 1 lost part of his lower wing, but returned to base safely and the other had some cloth tear from his lower wing and he returned to base safely. 1 of my g-pa's brothers flew in Nam. he lost a squadron mate to 1 guy with a bolt action rifle. since my pilot could have been in the trench at the time the albatros attacked and pilots had pistols i think he would have used it. MY BB said I could have my own profile.

My pilot was on a road next to the trench card
    Did you mention the presence of a trench card in your original post?

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Did you mention the presence of a trench card in your original post?
    Not that I could see after re reading the original post.

Similar Missions

1. New scoring for Origins Event
    By CappyTom in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 05-27-2016, 02:31
  2. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-07-2014, 15:14
  3. Multiplayer: Scoring a victory question
    By WWIflyingace in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-11-2014, 20:05
  4. The Trench Fire rule - surprised?