Ares Games

View Poll Results: Do you remember and/or did you play Ace of Aces?

Voters
190. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I played the game.

81 42.63%
  • I am familiar with the game but never played.

47 24.74%
  • Never heard of it.

62 32.63%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ace of Aces

Dammit I went for the never heard of it box now I remember the game and have played it, can you change my vote, sorry.:embarass:
    The curse of a old alcoholic befuddled brain.

Yes, I played it. and the western version. I played againist some fools who memorized the books thats why I quit. I love this you cant cheat

Quote Originally Posted by McKeever View Post
    Handy Rotary was the version I had.
    If you look at the Official Unofficial Aircraft Committee's sheet on how to determine stats at http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...do=file&id=959 you'll see a blast from the past there. An homage to the game.
    Normal agility
    Good agility
    Better agility
    Best agility
    Handy rotary
    Camel special
    D.VII special
    Lumbering

Currently have all copies of the wonderful series. My beloved spice and I used to play to determine who'd wash the dishes...until she figured how to disappear into the clouds...view #233 if I remember correctly. NOVA also produced one set based on a series of popular novels about dragons, rather than airplanes...name eludes me, Dragon Riders of Pern or some such. Someone ought to reprint these to hook a new generation.

Quote Originally Posted by Burt View Post
    Dammit I went for the never heard of it box now I remember the game and have played it, can you change my vote, sorry.:embarass:
    The curse of a old alcoholic befuddled brain.
    I changed your vote, but I can't change that it shows your name under Never heard of it.

Yes played it a couple of times ,the club I used to go to had a few games in stock so if any body didnt have agame to join in there was always something in the cupboard to do.I remember this became the popular one and a few people bought it to play anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    I changed your vote, but I can't change that it shows your name under Never heard of it.
    Thanks very much

flashard

If anyone is interested you can buy a copy here:
    http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/7...-rotary-series

or a delux set here:
    http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/7...deluxe-edition

Including 2 in Italy for Gino

flashard

The BGG Marketplace is a pretty good resource, used it myself a couple of times and picked up some real bargains.

I had even the X-Wing VS Tie Version was a grate game the WW2 version was little complicated but it worked well only the Jet version was Lame.

I played it a lot. A friend of mine had them all. I still miss playing Ace of Aces.

I still have all the WWI incarnations, and still a very handy way to pass the time while travelling. A timeless classic!
    BofB

I just came across the WWII version, Wing Leader, in a box in the garage the other day!

Was too into Blue Max/Canvas Eagles to try it.

I used to havit but, Itradedit off for some nids. Got tired of running into players that memorized the books.

Ace of Aces is attempting to reprint — currently looking for backers on Kickstarter! I've already pledged my $60 for the game. This is make-or-break, if the goal isnt met then the game won't be republished. Spread the word!

http://kck.st/KqIUkG

This is a great game and I've still got my copy (and a few of the expansions). I wish them well, but that's a tough goal to reach.

This is a great game and I've still got my copy (and a few of the expansions). I wish them well, but that's a tough goal to reach.
    I am thinking they set the bar a bit too high... whether intentionally or not...

Yeh, I'm afraid they went for too much; great game, but since I own 3 of the book sets, I really can't buy into this.
    Karl

Yes, I remember it fondly. Used to take it with me on field training exercises to kill some down time, etc... One of my younger Soldiers refered to as an "Amish video game". Had (and still have... somewhere) the Power, Rotary and Balloon Busters versions. Nearly won a tournament ages ago.

Chris Maes

Users Country Flag

Name
    Brian Wetzel
    Sorties Flown

I heard of it but sadly never had it. Sounds like I missed out on something.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Brian Wetzel
    Sorties Flown

Brian, this might help you out.... Kickstart Ace of Aces.
    Thanks Keith. Good to see they got the funding.

My wife loves the WWI series and the Lost World fantasy series. It was her first foray into gaming early in our marriage. Needless to say, I am fond of them.

Great video on Lost World series:
    http://boardgamegeek.com/video/21093...s/video-review

Quote Originally Posted by redcoon2 View Post
    Currently have all copies of the wonderful series. My beloved spice and I used to play to determine who'd wash the dishes...until she figured how to disappear into the clouds...view #233 if I remember correctly. NOVA also produced one set based on a series of popular novels about dragons, rather than airplanes...name eludes me, Dragon Riders of Pern or some such. Someone ought to reprint these to hook a new generation.
    You're correct - Dragon Riders of Pern
    http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/5...-the-book-game

Yep , I remember them, but never got around to playing them. I did have lots of fun with the Lost Worlds series.

Blake, if you have not watched this video, check it out sometime. The reviewer posts a significant number of reviews on games - all are informative. This one on Lost Worlds is enjoyable.

Great video on Lost World series:
    http://boardgamegeek.com/video/21093...s/video-review

Quote Originally Posted by Big Blake View Post
    Yep , I remember them, but never got around to playing them. I did have lots of fun with the Lost Worlds series.

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Never heard of this game.

These "WERE" reprinted some time back as a kickstart project, ofcourse i didn't see that untill they had been made and sold out. i am hoping they RE-REISSUE them in 2014!
    {had mine stolen at a comic con.}

Users Country Flag

Name
    Jonathan
    Sorties Flown

Loved these games. I have all the WWI books and kept a set in my glove compartment for those idle times we sometimes had. I also have several of the Lost Worlds books which were for fantasy combat for D&D and the like.

Had some of the lost world books played them too!

Not only do i remember them, i would love to trade some other stuff i have for a set! HINT HINT.

atsf2.jpg
    did i mention i am also a model railroad NUT!

Quote Originally Posted by boomerpete53 View Post
    Not only do i remember them, i would love to trade some other stuff i have for a set! HINT HINT.

atsf2.jpg
    did i mention i am also a model railroad NUT!
    Hey Peter, I have a jet version of Ace of Aces you can have if you want it. If I got rid of the WWI or Lost World booklets, I think my wife would send me with the package.

For the latest news about 'Ace of Aces' visit the 'Flying Buffalo' website at http://www.flyingbuffalo.com/ace.htm.

Just watched the intro video Dave.
    Looks like a good game for on a long train journey.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

In the 'Ace of Aces' video, did you notice that he had a picture of a page on his computer screen, Rob? I wonder whether it will be computerised at some point.

I too have some 'Lost Worlds' booklets both the fantasy ones and the rarer 'Battletech' ones. The 'Lost Worlds' fantasy booklets are still being produced. You can even have one made containing photographs of yourself (if you can afford it). Flying Buffalo sell them.

Wow long time no hear for this game , had a set in the late 70's but divorce and moving ment we parted company a long time ago.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

I have read in another forum that the pdf files for the new printing of 'Ace of Aces' have now gone to Flying Buffalo, so the game may be available again very soon.

Had it, played it, loved it, sold it, doh!

had em, played em a few times. hated em. the maneuvers didnt seem to conform to the laws of physics or my sense of spatial reasoning. much prefered blue max.

Yes I still have my books including jets and star wars

Handy Rotary is the only one I ever had but it's long ago sold. Great game.

Never even heard of it.

I played a friend's copy of the Handy Rotary set, and I still have my Jet copy. It's a fun, very unique game system. I like it even though I haven't played it in years.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Brian (Grey)
    Sorties Flown

I gave my original WWI game copies away, but replaced them years later.

I now have a copy of the hardback reprints, too.

My college roommate had it (in 1986). A few months ago I was remembering how fun it was and had to buy a set (Handy Rotary) on eBay. I think it was about $50.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Aces of Aces is a fun little game - I really liked the cockpit view of "where" you were going.

But what about Milton Bradley's "Dogfight" - THAT was my first exposure to WWI air combat (when I was a kid in the 60s)...now THAT'S a game I'd like to find again! I'm sure one's out there somewhere, but I haven't taken the time to look for it yet...

All the best,
    Matt Materne

Never heard of. But the description is quite interesting.

I got a copy of Dogfight off Ebay for a song. It, too,was my first exposure to an aerial wargame and my brother and I played it to destruction.

I was thinking of buying the new Kickstarter reprint books for Ace of Aces,but $70 is a lot to pop I think...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Aussie Aces
    By Skippy in forum WGS: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 02-05-2012, 14:42
  2. Aussie Aces
    By Skippy in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-21-2010, 04:49
  3. Aces High
    By gregbond77 in forum Officer's Club