Ares Games

Thread: Valom 'Dogfight Double' kit

Default Valom 'Dogfight Double' kit

Valom have produced a 1/144 scale 'Dogfight Double' kit containing an S.E.5a and an Albatros D.V. Yhis the fisrt time I have seen one advertised but I expect that someone will have seen one before.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l500.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	214056

Valom have also issued 1/144 scale kits for the Bristol F2B Fighter and the Rumpler C.IV.

Name:	Valom_Bristol F.2B.jpg 
Views:	291 
Size:	135.5 KB 
ID:	214057Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Valom_Rumpler C.IV.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	181.1 KB 
ID:	214058

The Brisfit and Rumpler have been out for some time, but I haven't seen the 'dogfight double' one before. Shades of Airfix many moons ago. Sadly Valom do not seem to have any further WW1 releases planned at the moment.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

I bought the Rumpler one a while back (for the decals).

Even though I haven't built a model, they seem like good kits. There is a small sheet of photoetched parts for each.

There are 2 planes included & the back of the packet has pictures of the colour scheme that went with each set of decals.
    (Note: - 2 kits, but the decals can delineate 4 different aircraft!) Coolness!
    Along with the pic, they also tell you which aircraft it was & what year it was built. e.g. Rumpler C.IV C.8518/16, FA 209,
    mid to late 1917.

mutt

How do they scale with existing game pieces?

They match in perfectly well - the only caveat is that the quality of the build can cause slight variations in the proportions.....................

My first Fokker D.VII build had the top wing "sitting down" on the machine guns; the plane looked a bit too sleek.
    My second, I overcompensated, and the top wing was set a bit too high; the plane looked a bit too "boxy".
    My third and fourth were MUCH better.

Name:	DSCF0187.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	124.6 KB 
ID:	220337

Name:	DSCF0183.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	116.8 KB 
ID:	220338
    Last edited by Flying Helmut; 04-02-2017 at 15:29.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

How do they hold up due to rough handling?

Quote Originally Posted by john snelling View Post
    How do they hold up due to rough handling?
    Depends on your definition and degree of "rough"ness!

I have had no problems - yet.

The completed kit is VERY lightweight - as light as a Shapeways - so, when mounted on a gimbal and magnet, I have never yet had one detach and fall.
    I did drop one once, and one of the wheels broke off, but that was an easy fix.

Having said that, I am yet to expose my Valoms to the rigours of children, and am reluctant to do so.

From what i have heard, they like to bounce

Quote Originally Posted by Dieter W. View Post
    From what i have heard, they like to bounce
    Valoms. or children?

Both!

mutt

Are the decals cut to form, or do you have to play surgeon?

The decals are cut to shape and size.

The two pictures above are actually carrying Reviresco decals, which are very slightly smaller than the Valom wings.
    The Valom "native" decals in the kit boxes are plenty large enough to cover the wings without leaving gaps.

Regarding the 'Dogfight Double' kit, I've seen in multiple places where this is being advertised as having four kits in the box (2 SE5a and 2 D.Va).
    Can anyone confirm this?

see here
    and here

That's a pretty good deal if it really is a box of 4 kits. I suspect its really only one of each...

Also came across this Nieuport 11 vs Eindecker pack, which I haven't seen before:

Name:	val14420_4.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	220499

EDIT: This image appears to confirm it really is 4 kits in the box... Might have to pick up one of these for the price.

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	232.9 KB 
ID:	220500
    Last edited by brdavis; 04-05-2017 at 13:05. Reason: follow up

Cor!

Not seen that one before.

I'd be interested if I hadn't already bought multiple E.III and multiple N.11 twin sets.

Just seen these Valom models! Wow! The price is fantastic. Can anyone tell me / show me the parts that prop between the wings, I am unsure if my modelling skill will be up to the challenge.

Now, if we can get Valom to produce 1/200 WWII Dogfight Doubles. Perhaps mid-war planes.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by Popsical View Post
    Just seen these Valom models! Wow! The price is fantastic. Can anyone tell me / show me the parts that prop between the wings, I am unsure if my modelling skill will be up to the challenge.
    The provided wing struts and undercarriage are typically photo etched parts - very thin metal. I don't bother, they are way too fragile for my skill level. I found that I like to substitute a 1/32" (.8mm) square brass rod from the hobby shop, as you can see on my Sopwith Pups, here and here.

Quote Originally Posted by brdavis View Post
    Regarding the 'Dogfight Double' kit, I've seen in multiple places where this is being advertised as having four kits in the box (2 SE5a and 2 D.Va).
    Can anyone confirm this?

see here
    and here

That's a pretty good deal if it really is a box of 4 kits. I suspect its really only one of each...
    And to answer my earlier question, yes, there are 4 kits in the box - it's a great deal.

Cheers Brian!
    Now to figure out bases and movement decks...

Not built any yet Steven but thin plastuct for struts should do the job as well. Ajay tells me he has used the teeth from a comb !

"He is wise who watches"

Users Country Flag

Name
    Cyrus
    Sorties Flown

Valom Models now offer a dual Fokker DR.I kit. I order one off eBay today...$10.95. 2 DR.I with decal sets for 4 pilots; Rahn, Jacobs, Lothar and Manfred Richthofen. The seller is in the US. Just look up 1/144 Valom Models. On the Valom Model online site they also have Fokker DVII, Se5a, Albatross D.V. & D.V.a in a dual kit containing one of each.

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    Valom Models now offer a dual Fokker DR.I kit. I order one off eBay today...$10.95. 2 DR.I with decal sets for 4 pilots; Rahn, Jacobs, Lothar and Manfred Richthofen. The seller is in the US. Just look up 1/144 Valom Models. On the Valom Model online site they also have Fokker DVII, Se5a, Albatross D.V. & D.V.a in a dual kit containing one of each.
    ......and Sopwith Pup, Hanriot HD.1, SPAD XIII, Nieuport 17, Nieuport 11, Fokker E.III - all have 2 kits in the box.

Also, as shown above, Bristol F2B and Rumpler C.IV twin packs.

It looks like the Valom 'Dogfight Double' kits of Bristol F.2B versus Rumpler C.IV are available again because I have received an e-mail from eModels advertising them for sale. at £14.39.

https://www.emodels.co.uk/valom-1-14...m_medium=email

Name:	BristolvsRumpler.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	279651

Similar Missions

1. New 'Airfix' "Dogfight Double"
    By Flying Helmut in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-19-2016, 14:10
  2. WGF New Valom 1/144 WW1 kits.