Ares Games

Thread: Building the A.E.G. G1V.

Default Building the A.E.G. G1V.

Building the Skytrex A.E.G. G1V.

Here is my latest offering. NOT for the faint hearted.

1. Fettle up the castings, and then make paper templates for the camo decals. Use these to cut the decals from the printed sheets.
    2. Drill any holes that are not opened up.
    3. Fix the lower wing.
    4. Unlike most of my builds I now undercoated the components before assembly to facilitate the addition of the camo decals.
    5. Give a thin wash of white acrylic to the parts which are to receive camo. This helps the decals to slide and adhere better.
    6. Apply wing camo decals to lower side of upper wing and upper side of lower wing.
    7. When dry brush on a layer of micro sol to set the decals into the wing profiles.
    8. Whilst the micro sol is hardening, paint the ancillary parts such as, engines, crew, struts etc.
    9. Next apply all decals to the sides top and bottom of the fuselage. Do not apply the top or bottom wing surface decals at this point.
    10. Position and glue engine pods and struts .( This is the trickiest assembly I have yet tackled. Do not rush it.
    11. Glue cabine struts to underside of top wing. Check fit to aircraft body before glue hardens off fully.
    12. Glue crew into cockpit.
    13. Position outer pairs of wing struts, and glue from center outward as explained in my previous guides.
    14. Apply top and bottom camo decals to wings.
    15. Use micro sol as above. You may need more than one coat to accommodate sharp bends. Do not work the decal when softened, it will stretch and lose colour.
    16. Allow to harden over night
    17. Clear holes for undercart and tail skid assembly.
    18. Glue them into place.
    19. Touch up any gaps in the camo junctions. I used a combo of Foundry Deep blue shade,together with Citadel Worm Purple and Games Workshop Shadow grey.
    20. Add the national markings decals. Guess which Dom supplied these? White numbers by courtesy of the good Col.(Hajj not Sanders.)
    21. More micro sol. Varnish to taste, and Bob’s your Aunty.
    Rob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0002.jpg   DSCF0003.jpg   DSCF0006.jpg   DSCF0007.jpg   DSCF0009.jpg  

DSCF0010.jpg   DSCF0012.jpg   DSCF0050.jpg   DSCF0051.jpg  
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Very, very nice Wingco. Haven't had a good look at the Skytrex kit before, but the Reverisco one gave me a few nightmares. Given much thought to in-game stats yet ?

Quote Originally Posted by IRM View Post
    Very, very nice Wingco. Haven't had a good look at the Skytrex kit before, but the Reverisco one gave me a few nightmares. Given much thought to in-game stats yet ?
    Not much. I just downloaded its card from here. Got any ideas. I still need to get the clear plastic to make bases for all the big bombers. A mate of mine said he would cut the details on his C.N.C. but I've not seen him for a month.
    Rob.

Very very nice, and timely too. My AEG is next in line after I've finished touching up my paratroops. (ooooh Matron!).
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

I've been using 24 damage and the K deck, but only allowing one turn card per game turn (I don't have FOG, probably a better fitting deck there). For simplicity's sake I just have the front gun arc as anywhere forward of the wings and the rear gun anywhere aft of the wings, blind spot as normal. Carries 8x 50kg or 4x 100kg bombs.

Wow!
    Turned out gorgeous... I can't wait to give that one a go later this winter! (I see many hours of me banging my head against a wall, before I produce a finished product...)
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

I think the XD deck which is the same as the Caproni. Gotha, and the Friedrichshafen, is about right.With 20 hit points instead of their 25, 27, and 25 respectively as it's not so big as any of them. your gun arcs must be O.K. and easy to use without being able to mark them on a plastic base as yet. B/B guns with two engine damage.
    Rob.

Nice work Aunty ! Can you knit me one?!

"He is wise who watches"

Name
    Victor
    Sorties Flown

The AEG had a steel tube frame and was noted for the amount of damage it could take. Also due to the weight of the airframe, it's payload was not as large as other planes of the same size & power.

Quote Originally Posted by krolik View Post
    The AEG had a steel tube frame and was noted for the amount of damage it could take. Also due to the weight of the airframe, it's payload was not as large as other planes of the same size & power.
    Maybe I.R.M. is closer with his 24 damage points then. I did not consider the metal frame alone would make a lot of difference to the overall damage sustained.
    Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Bruno_Stachel
    Sorties Flown

Lovely model. I had toyed with the idea of picking a couple of these up but was put off by the thought of having to do the hex camo with decals. It has been sooo long since I used those that I can see myself going through sheets of the things as I make them fold over on themselves just trying to get something as simple as national markings on.

I am really looking forward to the arrival of the 'official' Caproni. The sooner the better or I am going to have a gross imbalance of Central Powers bombers.

Great Stuff Rob. That looks like a lot of work went into the finished product. Turned out very well indeed.

Beautiful! I wish had your skill and patience...and time! Nicely done...

Lovely job, I would die for one or two of those, but I am temperamentaly challenged and it would more than likely lead to divorce if I tried.

That looks fantastic. I wish I had your skill and patience.

Test run on images. Another great way to bring down a plane.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image0011.jpg  
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 11-16-2010 at 10:04. Reason: Working again now. Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Test run on images. Another great way to bring down a plane.
    LOL! Steeeerrriiiike one!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Beautiful job there Rob.

I don't have one of those yet you b........... Now I'll just have to go buy one or more along with the Gothas as I have multiple sets of different decals. Probably best get another HP 0/400 too.

Sorry what? No dear I was just looking at Rob's AEG I'm, not going to buy anything else. Yes I promise (fingers crossed)........

Smile

Very nice job Wing Co. Thanks also for the white metal and decal tutorial.

I'll try scratch building a pair this winter. Scratch for me is less finicky than dealing with white metals and decal sheets. I'll print the camo pattern and national markings onto normal paper, and then white-glue it onto the basswood wings and fuselage. No problem for me; I like carving and the basswood is easily strong enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Very nice job Wing Co. Thanks also for the white metal and decal tutorial.

I'll try scratch building a pair this winter. Scratch for me is less finicky than dealing with white metals and decal sheets. I'll print the camo pattern and national markings onto normal paper, and then white-glue it onto the basswood wings and fuselage. No problem for me; I like carving and the basswood is easily strong enough.
    Sounds good to me. My wife's a wood carver. Think it would be pusshing it a bit to try and get her carving me a plane though.
    Rob.

Well thanks to this thread and a couple of others, (and my own incurrable insanity) I've just ordered;

3x Gotha G.IV (Skytrex)
    3x AEG G.IV (1 x Skytrex, 1 x Reviresco & 1 x SRAM)
    3x Bristol fighter (1 x Skytrex, 1 x Reviresco & 1 x SRAM) - Don't ask
    2x Airco DH2 (Reviresco)

So now I'll need to visit my therapist again or hold another WoW anonymous meeting. Damn you Wing Co!

When they all finally arrive I may just do a comparrison for the AEG's and Brisfits

Nice ones. I got a couple of AEG but assembled them before finding decals Just starting to paint my Brisfits and thanks to your instructions finishing of the Handley Page & Gotha
    Ta

Bad news! Skytrex will be at Warfare at Reading this weekend - I foresee a large part of my disposable income being spent on their stand

Quote Originally Posted by tonyc206 View Post
    Well thanks to this thread and a couple of others, (and my own incurrable insanity) I've just ordered;

3x Gotha G.IV (Skytrex)
    3x AEG G.IV (1 x Skytrex, 1 x Reviresco & 1 x SRAM)
    3x Bristol fighter (1 x Skytrex, 1 x Reviresco & 1 x SRAM) - Don't ask
    2x Airco DH2 (Reviresco)

So now I'll need to visit my therapist again or hold another WoW anonymous meeting. Damn you Wing Co!

When they all finally arrive I may just do a comparrison for the AEG's and Brisfits
    I look forward to reading your results.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    Bad news! Skytrex will be at Warfare at Reading this weekend - I foresee a large part of my disposable income being spent on their stand
    Gunners, don't do it man. Spend your money on their models, not on a stand.
    Rob.

Gunners, don't do it man. Spend your money on their models, not on a stand.
    Rob.
    Cue the "How much for a long stand mate?" gag. Never thought you would fall for that one Gunners

If I spend too much and fail to smuggle the purchases through Checkpoint Charlie when I get home, it's more likely to be Guntruck's last stand.

So far the list is up to 3 Gothas, 1 AEG, a couple of Hannovers and a couple of 1 1/2 Strutters. All these can probably be secreted in various pockets, but the big box of Flames of War goodies could be a problem (Is that a French army in your pocket, or are you just pleased to see me?).
    Last edited by Guntruck; 11-18-2010 at 01:03.

If I spend too much and fail to smuggle the purchases through Checkpoint Charlie when I get home, it's more likely to be Guntruck's last stand.

So far the list is up to 3 Gothas, 1 AEG, a couple of Hannovers and a couple of 1 1/2 Strutters. All these can probably be secreted in various pockets, but the big box of Flames of War goodies could be a problem (Is that a French army in your pocket, or are you just pleased to see me?).
    Would it be feasible to leave it at your neighbours and smuggle it in whilst She who must be obeyed is out shopping?
    Rob.

Leave the big stuff in the car and go back for it later when she's not around or asleep.

I've got the same problem tonight as my Skytrex and SRAM orders have just arrived (lots of lovely bombers and brisfits). I just have to wait about 4-6 weeks now for the Reviresco stuff. Oh, and there some silcone moulding compound too. Now what can I possibly do with that I wonder?
    Last edited by tonyc206; 11-18-2010 at 03:26.

Users Country Flag

Name
    John
    Sorties Flown

Rob, that looks amazing. Good to know the decal sheet fits different aircraft. I'll get it uploaded now I know it works for other people.

What printer do you have? Your colours look pretty similar to mine, but better defined. I didn't realise at the time, but when I printed the sheet I used on my Gotha, the printer wasn't on photo quality so the printing is a bit grainy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bedlam View Post
    What printer do you have? Your colours look pretty similar to mine, but better defined. I didn't realise at the time, but when I printed the sheet I used on my Gotha, the printer wasn't on photo quality so the printing is a bit grainy.
    My printer is a Cannon iP4700. and yes it is on photo quality. The other trick is to use the cassette tray for printing as it uses fewer rollers than the normal tray.
    I am about to look at a slightly enlarged image of the camo to see if it will do for the new Skytrex Staaken coming out next month.
    Rob.

My printer is a Cannon iP4700. and yes it is on photo quality. The other trick is to use the cassette tray for printing as it uses fewer rollers than the normal tray.
    I am about to look at a slightly enlarged image of the camo to see if it will do for the new Skytrex Staaken coming out next month.
    Rob.
    Interesting. Funnily enough I was going to ask what printers and what settings people were using. I used the settings John recommended on the decal sheet he sent me, and I've got really poor results printing other decals. That's both with an Epson R2880 photo printer and a Canon Pixma IP3600.
    So what settings are people using? plain paper? photo paper? something else? I need to know as after the weekend's raid on Skytrex at Warfare, I have a need for a lot of lozenge

ISo what settings are people using? plain paper? photo paper? something else? I need to know as after the weekend's raid on Skytrex at Warfare, I have a need for a lot of lozenge
    I set mine to photo print high quality glossy paper Gunners.
    Rob.

Default the kit

where can i get that kit? or the tamplates of the size?

Quote Originally Posted by RonaldRS View Post
    The kit is available from either Skytrex or Reviresco. Just google them on the web as I don't think we can post links here
    Last edited by tonyc206; 11-23-2010 at 07:41. Reason: ???

Quote Originally Posted by RonaldRS View Post
    It is a skytrex one. PM me.
    Rob.

I set mine to photo print high quality glossy paper Gunners.
    Rob.
    Same here and the results were excellent. Just need to get around to puttining it on a model now

Users Country Flag

Name
    John
    Sorties Flown

The sheet I sent to Guntruck was printed on my trusty HP Deskjet 940c using genuine cartridges and set to "best" quality, plain paper as recommended by the suppliers of the decal paper. I used the same setting for the camo on my Gotha. I have since played with my printer a bit, and got a much better result by setting the printer to "other photo paper" and turning photo mode on.

The new sheet is a lot less grainy. Not annoying at all, when you've spent three evenings sticking the decal to the aeroplane, to discover that you've printed it wrong.

My second Gotha will use the improved sheet.

What's this about a Staaken? I nearly bought the SRAM model but it was £70 from Germany. If Skytrex are releasing one I must have it! I'll tweak the decal sheet to suit, or just produce a new layout.

What's this about a Staaken? I nearly bought the SRAM model but it was £70 from Germany. If Skytrex are releasing one I must have it! I'll tweak the decal sheet to suit, or just produce a new layout.
    The Staaken is released early next month from Skytrex price £25.
    See my thread below on this forum. "The Staaken".
    Rob.

Check out the Staaken thread and send old Skytrex an email to pre-order. A new decal sheet to accompany it will be most welcome John.
    Last edited by tonyc206; 11-24-2010 at 02:45. Reason: Stupidity

Quote Originally Posted by tonyc206 View Post
    A new decal sheet to accompany it will be most welcome John.
    I'll second that
    Rob.

Thirded!

Interesting variant, the AEG IVk had forward and aft 20mm cannons for ground attack. Wikipedia says they never saw service, but the aircraft listing for the game Hostile Aircraft has a start date of AUG '18. That would be an monster to see bearing down on an infantry attack
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Similar Missions

1. Building a FE. 2B
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 02-03-2011, 13:18
  2. Building the Gotha.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 10-25-2010, 13:07
  3. Building a Flat Top
    By afilter in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 8