Ares Games
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Preview of WW1 bombers and Series 5 models

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
    That's the problem with you Rob: overly blood optimistic. Ooops sorry about that, just saw that you didn't mention which Christmas. In that case, you're spot on.
    That is not the only similarity with the Great War that I have noticed from Nexus. The way the rumour of new planes that do not arrive at the front for when they have been promised, and then the supply running out before demand is satisfied, also rings a bell. The only difference to the Great war that I can see is that the Americans get theirs first instead of having to wait for them.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I dunno, if the current Checkbouncer in Chief keeps it up we may go down and take everyone else with us so bad China will be eating all our lunches...
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Although I'm still working on completing my aquisition of all of the first 4 series, I am just feeling woozy (probably just altitude sickness) at the anticipation of the Series IV set and, especially, the BOMBERS! I can not wait until they are out. Then future bombers released like the H-P 0/400, Friedrickshaven or Staaken, perhaps a Caudron G or R series. Heck, as long as I'm just a wishin' why not ask for a Russian Miromets 4 engine bomber.

Andrea, you've got a fabulous game here!

Bombers....I've got chills thinking about all the opportunities this will present to really draw in those non-believers at demos. The pure shock factor alone for their size is going to bring people by the tables. The game itself and the simple elegance will blow people away.

"All over by Christmas" isn't that what they said about the World Wars and they lasted years.

Quote Originally Posted by sparty View Post
    Bombers....I've got chills thinking about all the opportunities this will present to really draw in those non-believers at demos. The pure shock factor alone for their size is going to bring people by the tables. The game itself and the simple elegance will blow people away.
    Yeah, that is my hope with running some 4 bomber games at Origins. That and a 1/144 scale zeppelin

Default Zep?

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    Yeah, that is my hope with running some 4 bomber games at Origins. That and a 1/144 scale zeppelin
    Keith,
    I didn't know you were bringing a Zepppelin too? This will be a fun Origins!

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    I can hardly wait.

Quote Originally Posted by MayorJim View Post
    Keith,
    I didn't know you were bringing a Zepppelin too? This will be a fun Origins!
    You are bringing one as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    "All over by Christmas" isn't that what they said about the World Wars and they lasted years.
    Glad you got my little bon mot. David.
    Rob.

What IS the official release date?

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Pray View Post
    "this year" so it could be anytime this year, or since they didn't say 2011, any year hereafter.

Have faith, maybe someone at the distributer will gain some sense and get things out in a more timely manner. As unlikely as that seems.

How long is a piece of string?

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick62 View Post
    How long is a piece of string?
    From one end to the other. When they are here they are here.

Some time before the end of this year is the best guess. You will find that release dates as given by Nexus are a movable feast, explained away by such factors as, a Volcanic erruption in Iceland, ship lost at sea, cardboard shortage at the printers, et al. Quite a suprise to anyone who is new to the game, and is used to the normal way of manufacture. Supply and demand is another interesting topic which we have debated ad nausiam on this drome with no effect on the surreal world that is the Nexus. By jove I feel better now I've said that.
    Rob.

Rob,
    You forgot 'the dog ate my homework' and 'a gorilla came in through the window and knocked over the milk'! Still, anticipation is a wonderful motivator, and in the meantime there are always repaints, conversions and scratchbuilds to tide us over.

Well... With all due respect to you gentlemen, I am not cheered up by anything anyone here has said. Could no one have lied and said "mid May"?

Timothy, the chief virtue of pessimism: often irritated, seldom unpleasantly surprised.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.

Well said Restricted of Washington.
    Rob.

LOL Rob, just like my paranoia about "Personal Counterintelligence," that too was born of necessity in keeping the young lady who had entrusted herself to my care alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    LOL Rob, just like my paranoia about "Personal Counterintelligence," that too was born of necessity in keeping the young lady who had entrusted herself to my care alive.
    Remember the old saying. Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they arn't out to get you.
    Rob.

LOL I was always taught that "Paranoia is simply a state of heightened awareness" and "it's not 'paranoia' if there really is someone out to get you". :P

Eindeckers and bombers.

I'm overjoyed regardless of when then come out!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

LOL I was always taught that "Paranoia is simply a state of heightened awareness" and "it's not 'paranoia' if there really is someone out to get you". :P
    Yes

I'm thinking end of June...this year. nexus site didn't have any news last time I checked; but my dog said it was true

At the very least we should have a preview of all the different schemes.

Quote Originally Posted by greenalfonzo View Post
    At the very least we should have a preview of all the different schemes.
    Good idea Kev...would help in purchasing decisions at the least.

i be happy with restock of old model types

Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

I'm thinking end of June...this year. nexus site didn't have any news last time I checked; but my dog said it was true
    I... I believe him.

Well we are nearly into the middle of May........!

Spot on Jim. Your dog has never been wrong yet. I think he gets his information direct from Nexus. In fact when it coms to predictions he is absolutely the
    dog's b.....ks. Tes...les. Awe nuts.
    Rob.

I just want a Rickenbacker, let alone new stuff. This stuff is harder to get than many collectible games I collect!!

Seriously? Think my LGS still has one--want me to check? If you do and I do, you're on the hook for MSRP plus sales-tax plus shipping--if you have a surplus list on Forumini, maybe we can work somethin' out.

Quote Originally Posted by P-51D View Post
    I just want a Rickenbacker, let alone new stuff. This stuff is harder to get than many collectible games I collect!!
    There is one on Fleabay at the momment:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Wings-War-Seri...item483c04a824

I admit that it is UK but postage to the US should not be too bad

Well... With all due respect to you gentlemen, I am not cheered up by anything anyone here has said. Could no one have lied and said "mid May"?
    Mid June matey...honest well you did say to lie

Seriously? Think my LGS still has one--want me to check? If you do and I do, you're on the hook for MSRP plus sales-tax plus shipping--if you have a surplus list on Forumini, maybe we can work somethin' out.
    Sounds good to me!! Let me know if they have it! Whether cash or trade we can work something out!

Sweet can't wait to play them.

Bomber pics have been posted at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wow_ne...t?prop=eupdate and they look pretty good!

Good one Daniel. That is the first time I have seen them in colour. The earlier releases were only in the raw materials.
    Rob.

Pretty cool.
    Make note, see bank manager.
    Don

Nice small-big planes. Where is my wallet?

Default Schizophrenic Gotha

Interesting colour scheme on the Gotha! I've seen a reproduced photo of a Kagohl 3 line-up, with 670/16 as the only light-coloured aircraft while all the others visible (8 by my count) have dark camouflaged night schemes. While lozenge wing fabric is discernible on some of the dark machines, from the angle of the shot and quality of the repro it's difficult to tell whether 670/16 has 'sky' or lozenge fabric covered wings, but an accompanying artist's colour plate shows lozenge, so happy to go with that.

The real problem for this schizophrenic Gotha is that 670/16 is a Gotha G.V, and the model shown is, by the depth of the engine nacelles which extend down onto the lower wing and the simplified tail bracing strut, very obviously a Gotha G.IV. Still, I'm looking forward to the (eventual) release, and will just have to get out the paintbrush!

Looks like the pegs are as the same diameter as ones in Balloon Busters.

I saw these on BGG earlier. Very nice looking.

I'm not sure why, but I just can't get as excited for these bombers. I don't own FotG, so I am not sure how much they add to the game. I admit I could be missing out here.

I am much more anxious for the series 5 WWI and series 3 WWII minis.
    The series 5 especially will be exciting as I can finally get a campaign going from earliest war to late.

Kaiser.....sorry about the link not working as it works for me, but maybe you have to be subscribed to the WOW page on Yahoo? The shots that you linked on BGG on the same pictures that are at Yahoo though, and they look like they will add a new dimension, so to speak, to the game :-)

Woohoo progress I can't wait to get these guys in the air. I note there aren't any pilots/gunners on the minis - I wonder if they will add those later?

Quote Originally Posted by Ginarley View Post
    Woohoo progress I can't wait to get these guys in the air. I note there aren't any pilots/gunners on the minis - I wonder if they will add those later?
    Personally Ian, I'd rather add my own than suffer plague of the amorphous blobs again.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by skystalker View Post
    Bomber pics have been posted at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wow_ne...t?prop=eupdate and they look pretty good!
    As you correctly say later, the album can be seen only by people that subscribed and are logged to the WoW Yahoo Discussion Group.
    There is also a second album for WW2 bombers:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wow_ne...93157/pic/list
    Most of the pictures (but not all the 8 color schemes) are actually on BGG too.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick62 View Post
    Interesting colour scheme on the Gotha! I've seen a reproduced photo of a Kagohl 3 line-up, with 670/16 as the only light-coloured aircraft while all the others visible (8 by my count) have dark camouflaged night schemes. While lozenge wing fabric is discernible on some of the dark machines, from the angle of the shot and quality of the repro it's difficult to tell whether 670/16 has 'sky' or lozenge fabric covered wings, but an accompanying artist's colour plate shows lozenge, so happy to go with that.
    I can not help with the version details. Anyway I can say that Nexus is always looking for very different color schemes for the planes released, both for game purposes (as game "tokens" the planes are better recognized by the players) and because similar color schemes that the enthusiasts want can be more easily obtained with some repaint. This is why the clear G.V has been included. But the other is quite obvuously dark night camouflaged. The picture is in the album above, anyway here you have it:

Andrea,
    Thanks; I realise that your involvement is as the game designer (more power to your elbow) rather than anything to do with what are, from a commercial point of view, 'game tokens', and I accept the visual appeal of strikingly coloured and different looking game tokens to attract sales. I'm just a little disappointed on Nexus' part that they have compromised so much on historical accuracy. Gotha 'KZ' 947/16 is like 670/16 a G.V, so labelling is correct, but the model itself is actually a Gotha G.IV.
    Not that I won't be buying, just that I'll be repainting!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Taking Down Bombers
    By Hamburger in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-07-2010, 13:27
  2. More WW1 Bombers
    By Bedlam in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-28-2010, 05:34
  3. Flight of the Giants hands on sneak preview
    By Air Battle Mgr in forum WGF: General Discussions