Ares Games

Thread: The Brisfit

Default The Brisfit

Gentlemen (and you know who you are),

I am going to the local hobby/comic shop (in this area of Tennessee, read "local' as "only") for a couple of games of WOW. My Crossfire pack should be in by then and I am anxious to run the F2B across the table. So the question to you all is:

Are there any special rules, maneuvers, etc. I need to know or refresh on (I have all the rules and box sets)? Just want to be prepared. To any of you experienced Bristol drivers: How does she fly in the WOW world?

Thanks in advance and the best to all of you,

Mac

As far as special rules go, there is one for the Brisfit. It is in the Flight of the Giants rulebook on page 14:

Observers and Immelmann Turn
    Some two seaters, such as the Bristol F.2 Fighter (not included in this set, but available in the Crossfire booster pack), have the Immelmann turn maneuver card in their maneuver decks. These planes cannot fire at a target in the rear firing arc immediately after using that maneuver card, nor after the maneuver card played just before or just after it. If such a plane fires at a target in the rear firing arc after its last maneuver card of a turn is played, it cannot plan the Immelmann turn maneuver card as the first maneuver card of the next turn.

I figure the observer can't fire because he is busy doing the "technicolor yawn."

Tuladin,

Much appreciation! I read that when I picked up "Giants" last week and forgot all about it. Until a little over a month ago, I had lapsed a bit on my WOW playing and wanted to make sure there was not anything out there I had missed rules-wise.

Again, many thanks. Stop by the Mess and I'll stand you to a glass of your favorite turpentine.

Regards,

Mac

Quote Originally Posted by tuladin View Post
    I figure the observer can't fire because he is busy doing the "technicolor yawn." :)
    Nah -- his hands are busy Hanging On For Dear Life.... :)

Agree. According to Chaz Bowyer in BristolF2B Fighter: King of the Two Seaters:

"...the rear gunner was seldom, if ever strapped into his seat or cockpit, relying entirely on jamming his feet, legs and body against the sides of his cockpit, and keeping a firm grip on his Lewis gun."

Quote Originally Posted by McKeever View Post
    Agree. According to Chaz Bowyer in BristolF2B Fighter: King of the Two Seaters:

"...the rear gunner was seldom, if ever strapped into his seat or cockpit, relying entirely on jamming his feet, legs and body against the sides of his cockpit, and keeping a firm grip on his Lewis gun."
    ...and that my friend's is why they don't do Immelmann's

Here is an article about flying a reproduction Bristol Fighter. http://www.hyperscale.com/2007/featu...ighterdl_1.htm

A very interesting insight into the first flight of a pilot in a Biff. Maybe we should be a little more circumspect as to how we throw our Biffs about the WoW skies in the future. I know I will. Now all we need to do is find someone who has done an Immelmann in one with an observer in the back!
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    A very interesting insight into the first flight of a pilot in a Biff. Maybe we should be a little more circumspect as to how we throw our Biffs about the WoW skies in the future. I know I will. Now all we need to do is find someone who has done an Immelmann in one with an observer in the back!
    Rob.
    I don't know about an Immelman in a Biff, but there's several recorded instances of two-seaters (usually trainers) looping and with one occupant not strapped in, hanging on for dear life as it went upside down - the force is supposed to keep you in the seat even upside down, similar to the theory that if you swing a bucket of water upside down the water won't fall out;

http://www.planet-scicast.com/experi...fm?cit_id=2770

There are several instances of Biff Observers being thrown out of the cockpit during extremely violent manouvres, falling to their deaths. One Pilot, whilst doing manouvres in a dogfight, felt a large thump to the rear of the aircraft - looking to the rear, he saw his Observer clinging on for dear life to the rear of the fuselage, and had to punch holes in the fabric sides with his hands and feet until the aircraft landed. Turned out the Observer had been thrown out during the dogfight, and whilst falling, landed back onto the same aircraft

Yikes! And who says cats are the only ones with 9 lives?

I seem to recall from reading somewhere that those who were strapped in were only attached by a leather strap. A leather strap that didn't always hold up under violent manouvers. I'll have to look and find which book its in but supposedly a camel pilot found while doing a loop that his strap broke and he was thrown from the cockpit. Fortunately for him, he fell back into it and regained control and so survived.

Pooh

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Here is an article about flying a reproduction Bristol Fighter. http://www.hyperscale.com/2007/featu...ighterdl_1.htm
    And a piccy with one carrying 8 cooper bombs - Skytrex here I come!