Ares Games

Thread: Eddie Rickenbacker

Default Eddie Rickenbacker

I just finished the book "Fighting the Flying Circus" by EVR. It was the Wings of War, Time-Life edition printed in 1990 from the 1919 edition. It was really interesting to see how many things he talked about fit in with the WoW rules: balloons were hard to shoot down, archy was very ineffective (the only plane I remember he mentioned being shot down by archy was one near the end of the war that was hit by a shell directly before it exploded), sometimes a plane was shot down quickly and sometimes not at all. Several things were not covered in the rules. One was morale. Several times one pilot was able to shoot down one Hun and two or three others would fly toward home. Nowhere was the severing of flight cables, with not bring able to turn, ever mentioned. It was also interesting reading about how calmly he talked about shooting down a Hun aircraft. It would be a good read for anyone playing WoW WW I.

GAK

Thank you for the recommendation, George. It sounds like an interesting book. You may not have noticed yet, but in the Hobby Room section of this site, there is a Book Reviews thread.

This book is freely available online to read or download.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Thank you for the recommendation, George. It sounds like an interesting book. You may not have noticed yet, but in the Hobby Room section of this site, there is a Book Reviews thread.

This book is freely available online to read or download.

Thanks for the info. I am new to the site and don't know my way around. I have the WW I game and have played at Origins for several years. Playing there forced me to do something I had never done, buy a game there.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by gak0418 View Post
    Thanks for the info. I am new to the site and don't know my way around. I have the WW I game and have played at Origins for several years. Playing there forced me to do something I had never done, buy a game there.

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-16-2015, 18:06
  2. MEET EDDIE RICKENBACKER
    By andron234 in forum Spanish Wing
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-17-2015, 05:48
  3. An interesting episode of Eddie Rickenbacker life in 1942
    By Attila57 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-24-2013, 18:03
  4. Eddie Rickenbacker SPAD XIII color scheme