Ares Games
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: T.B.C. Awaiting discussions with ARES

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Any requests on bonus item(s) that I include with the pre-orders?

Ace recovery counters would be a nice addition to the ace cards - I have some but could always use more.
    Ditto engine damage markers.

Quote Originally Posted by BB401 View Post
    And falling great distances without a parachute :eek:
    It's a neat trick, but he can only do it once.... >;)

Somehow I can't wait anymore to place my order at AA...
    Voilą le soleil d'Austerlitz!

I just checked the ares games website, and they have the new planes listed with all the others!

http://http://www.aresgames.eu/games/ww1-wings-of-glory-line/ww1-wings-of-glory-airplane-packs

Thanks Max - Monse beat you to it by a few days in post #245 !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Dang it, I was too late! But it's all good!

Quote Originally Posted by Dieter W. View Post
    Dang it, I was too late! But it's all good!
    Fear not, good news bears repeating!

I did not check the status on theses repaints for a while, so it wasn't until later that found out they came out!

I did not check the status on theses repaints for a while, so it wasn't until later that found out they came out!
    It's OK, it happens.

I have also noticed lots of people talking about a possible series 4 S.E.5a. If they do infact make one, i would love to see a version of James mccudden's plane with the SSW propeller.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tim
    Sorties Flown

I'm quite happy with these reprints. I'll buy a few silver N17s to repaint as RFC – I have one or two done already and it's a pretty easy repaint. Contrary to popular opinion here I'm very happy to see Richthofen as this plane offers us a very easy repaint to do at least 6 or 7 known J11 planes. I'll also buy Fromherz to partner Voss. I'll decide on other DIII repaints later on. I already have a few RE8s so I doubt I'll add any more.

The models on the ARES site look quite poor in terms of printing the national markings and Fromherz looks too dark but I'm now saving up to buy about a dozen in total, perhaps more if I get into doing more D111s.

Quote Originally Posted by greenalfonzo View Post
    This is an example where I wouldn't have minded Ares going for the basic scheme with a decal sheet with all 4 of the emblem options!
    Yes – they should take the same approach that they are doing with the WW2 squadron packs.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmo UK View Post
    The models on the ARES site look quite poor in terms of printing the national markings and Fromherz looks too dark...
    I agree, the models on the area website do appear to be in quite bad shape. If you look, the paint on the R.E.8 is a bit sloppy and some of the props are bent.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Nieuports and D.IIIs in this release. I remember when I first started the game (back when it was Wings of War) these two planes were among the hardest to find-in my area, they only had the old Russian Nieuport and no D.IIIs. The new paint schemes look great and I hope to get at least one of each.

Also looking forward to the new cards--I've really liked the introduction of optional rules to reflect the quirks of the different planes!

Quote Originally Posted by Timmo UK View Post
    Yes – they should take the same approach that they are doing with the WW2 squadron packs.
    It was mentioned that if the WGS Squadron Packs sold well, they would look into doing decals in the WGF line. I personally would like it if they did two ready to play versions of a mini and the third was a generic paint scheme with decals in it.

I agree, the models on the area website do appear to be in quite bad shape. If you look, the paint on the R.E.8 is a bit sloppy and some of the props are bent.
    If you look back through the years, most of the photos look much worse than the actual minis when they come out. I believe the photos are take of the last proofs before production starts in full. Small touch ups are still made. The O'Neill Ni.28 is an example of that. The front of the cowling was white in the release photo and after many complaints about it and a discussion with Ares, they changed it to black.

Oh! that's good to hear.

The RE.8 props break easily due to their position, the props on your miniatures should not be broken when delivered.

It was mentioned that if the WGS Squadron Packs sold well, they would look into doing decals in the WGF line.
    I personally would like it if they did two ready to play versions of a mini and the third was a generic paint scheme with decals in it.

I think that would be a great solution.

I absolutely agree. That would be a great.

Miscellaneous Miniatures
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kevin
    Sorties Flown

Does anyone have a reference for the starboard side of #8, Frank Linke's aircraft? I'm wondering which way the eagle is face, fore or aft?

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    A few fast Flik 41J re-identifications for the Gruber machine that could be done with application of decals.

Godwin Brumovski

Attachment 213572

Frank Linke-Crawford

Attachment 213573

Attachment 213574

Quote Originally Posted by miscmini View Post
    Does anyone have a reference for the starboard side of #8, Frank Linke's aircraft? I'm wondering which way the eagle is face, fore or aft?
    There was an 1/48 decal sheet done. It has the head pointing aft. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cg7201.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	220631

Are you going to do some 1/144 WW1 decals? If you do I'll be a customer.
    Last edited by john snelling; 04-08-2017 at 08:42.

Miscellaneous Miniatures
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kevin
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by john snelling View Post
    There was an 1/48 decal sheet done. It has the head pointing aft.

Are you going to do some 1/144 WW1 decals? If you do I'll be a customer.
    I plan to, I've got the basic graphics for four of them. I need to print them on decal paper now and see if they look okay.

Our Richthofen's D.III is 789/17, all red above and sides, light blue under the wings, Albatros' crest on the tail. One of the several he flew.

True, the Sniper skill is the same for Richthofen and fgor others. But Richthofen combines it with many others, in a far more deadly mix...

Cards are different in each pack because they often refer to the specific pilot or plane. A R.E.8 has a 2pdr Davis gun as an option because it belongs to 30 Squadron, and an unidentified R.E.8 of that unit had one, fixed 45° to the fuselage for ground attack. Another R.E.8 has an option for twin machineguns to the observer because it belongs to 52 Squadron, a unit that often did so. Nungesser's Ni.17 has an option to fly as a B-firing plane because it had two machineguns but it was also photographed with just one. Gruber has an option for unreachable (and ununjammable) machineguns because on most Austrian D.IIIs, included his own, weapons were buried in the fuselage. And so on. To be complete, we should plan all future reprints studying all individual planes that we will make, and put cards for all of them... But if you know the rule, you can use it with your mini even if you do not own the card - there are no game polices forcing you to own the original card. And in a future product we will share new rules and new skills, so that there will be no need to hunt single plane boxes here and there.
    I hope that you'll find our games quite gamers' friendly if compared to competition, as several of you are actually saying. Fiorst of all we discarded the option to make this game as a collectible card game, back in 2004, out of respect to buyers, and we tried to give you the opportunity to use several copies at the same time (providing extra plabne cards) in case several of your friends bought it. Then we tried never to make anything obsolete (even if a couple of little change have been made to some plane for historical accuracy - but you can still play with the previous version): no rules changes or modifications to materials to make you throw away old stuff to buy new one, or to make your stuff worthless on second hand market. Not even new waves of so powerful new stuff that your previous buys are unbalanced and no more fun. Believe me, we are players and we try to stay on your side.

Here you have the right side of a Linke-Crawford's D.III. Not the 153.11 you are looking for but the later 153.16. On the left side, they both had the same falcon in the same direction - pretty probable that this is true for the right side too. Source is the great Air Aces of the Austro-Hungarian Empire 1914-1918 by Martin O'Connor, Flying Machines Press.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender-1.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	126.6 KB 
ID:	220698

Thumbs up

Many Thanks Andrea for those details.
    I have been telling our newer pilots not to worry as you have never forced folk to buy new models just to be competitive.

[QUOTE=Angiolillo;441583]Our Richthofen's D.III is 789/17, all red above and sides, light blue under the wings, Albatros' crest on the tail. One of the several he flew....[ /QUOTE]

At least he got a couple of victories in that machine over a FE2b & RE8... first job for most the modellers will be to make it into 2253/17 in which he got 20 victories of his twenty odd in the D.III...

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

"out of respect to buyers, and we tried to give you the opportunity to use several copies at the same time (providing extra plabne cards) in case several of your friends bought it. Then we tried never to make anything obsolete (even if a couple of little change have been made to some plane for historical accuracy - but you can still play with the previous version): no rules changes or modifications to materials to make you throw away old stuff to buy new one, or to make your stuff worthless on second hand market. Not even new waves of so powerful new stuff that your previous buys are unbalanced and no more fun."

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

This is what enables us to make long term investments in a game.

Thanks a lot. Other publishing houses seem to have another strategy. As Games Workshop, to name one, who for so many years changed their world every single edition of the game, outlawed figures from their own army lists, and made each generation of miniatures a few mm higher than the previous one to have any other (their or from competitors) look less impressive and nice. They seemed top aim to a generational change of players every two years or so. And they seemed to take care to make obsolete all previous releases, so to make them worthless in the hands of people trying to sell them as econd hand stuff. Or even on the shelves of shops that just ordered them a few weeks before.

Hi Andrea,

You and your team are respectful of the history behind the game. In my opinion that is one of the things that makes the Wings of Glory systems so enjoyable and engaging.

[QUOTE=flash;441595]
    Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo View Post
    Our Richthofen's D.III is 789/17, all red above and sides, light blue under the wings, Albatros' crest on the tail. One of the several he flew....[ /QUOTE]

At least he got a couple of victories in that machine over a FE2b & RE8... first job for most the modellers will be to make it into 2253/17 in which he got 20 victories of his twenty odd in the D.III...
    Flash, here is the long version of your post From "Under the Guns of the Red Baron" Norman Franks, Hal Giblin and Nigel McCrery.

789/17

23Jan17 Ltn. M. v. Richthofen-17v Albatros D.III 789-17, 16.10 SW Lens
    FE8 #6388, 40 Sqn. RFC, 2/Lt. J. Hay, KIA

24Jan17 Ltn. M. v. Richthofen-18v Albatros D.III 789-17, 12.15 W. Vitry, N. Arras
    FE2b #6997, 25 Sqn. RFC, Capt. O. Greig, POW & 2/Lt. J.E. MacLennan, POW

18Jun17 Ritt. M. v. Richthofen-53v Albatros D.III 789-17, 13.15 N. Ypres 163
    RE8 #A.4290, 9 Sqn. RFC, Lt. R.W.E. Ellis, KIA & Lt. H.C. Barlow, KIA

2253/17

02Apr17 Oblt. M. v. Richthofen-32v Albatros D.III 2253-17, 8.35 Farbus, NE Arras
    BE2d #5841, 13 Sqn. RFC, Lt. P.J.G. Powell, KIA & 1/AM P. Bonner, KIA

02Apr17 Oblt. M. v. Richthofen-33v Albatros D.III 2253-17, 11.00 Givenchy
    Sopwith 1-1/2 #A.2401, 43 Sqn. RFC, 2/Lt. A.P. Warren,POW & Sgt. R. Dunn,KIA

03Apr17 Oblt. M. v. Richthofen-34v Albatros D.III 2253-17, 16.15 Lens & Liévin
    FE2d #A.6382, 25 Sqn. RFC, 2/Lt. D.P. McDonald, POW, 2/Lt. J.I.M. O'Beirne, KIA

07Apr17 Ritt. M. v. Richthofen-37v Albatros D.III 2253-17, 17.45 Mercatel
    Nieuport 17 #A.6645, 60 Sqn. RFC, 2/Lt. G.O. Smart, KIA

08Apr17 Ritt. M. v. Richthofen-38v Albatros D.III 2253-17, 11.40 Farbus
    Sopwith 1-1/2 #A.2406, 43 Sqn. RFC, 2/Lt. J.S. Heagerty, POW & Lt. L. Health-Cantle, KIA

08Apr17 Ritt. M. v. Richthofen-39v Albatros D.III 2253-17, 16.40 Vimy
    BE2g #A.2815, 16 Sqn. RFC, 2/Lt. K.I. MacKenzie, KIA & 2/Lt. G. Everingham, KIA

13Apr17 Ritt. M. v. Richthofen-41v Albatros D.III 2253-17, 8.56 Vitry & Brébičres
    RE8 #A.3190, 59 Sqn. RFC, Capt. J.M. Stuart, KIA & Lt. M.H. Wood, KIA

13Apr17 Ritt. M. v. Richthofen-42v Albatros D.III 2253-17, 12.45 Monchy & Fenchy
    FE2b #A.831, 11 Sqn. RFC, Sgt. J.A. Cunniffe, WIA & 2/AM W.J. Batten, WIA

13Apr17 Ritt. M. v. Richthofen-43v Albatros D.III 2253-17, 19.35 Noyelle-Godault
    FE2b #4997, 25 Sqn. RFC, 2/Lt. A.H. Bates, KIA & Sgt. W.A. Barnes, KIA

14Apr17 Ritt. M. v. Richthofen-44v Albatros D.III 2253-17, 9.15 S. Bois Bernard
    Nieuport 17 #A.6796, 60 Sqn. RFC, Lt. W.O. Russell, POW

16Apr17 Ritt. M. v. Richthofen-45v, 17.30 Bailleul & Garvelle
    BE2e #3156, 13 Sqn. RFC, 2/Lt. A. Pascoe,WIA & 2/Lt. F.S. Andrews,DOW

22Apr17 Ritt. M. v. Richthofen-46v, Albatros D.III 2253-17, 17.10 Lagnicourt
    FE2b #7020, 11 Sqn. RFC, Lt. W.F. Fletcher, WIA & Lt. W. Franklin, WIA

23Apr17 Ritt. M. v. Richthofen-47v Albatros D.III 2253-17, 12.05 Méricourt
    BE2f #A.3168, 16 Sqn. RFC, 2/Lt. E.A. Welch, KIA & Sgt. A.G. Tollervey, KIA

28Apr17 Ritt. M. v. Richthofen-48v Albatros D.III 2253-17, 9.30 E. Pelves
    BE2e #7221, 13 Sqn. RFC, Lt. R.W. Follett, KIA & 2/Lt. F.J. Kirkham, POW

29Apr17 Ritt. M. v. Richthofen-49v Albatros D.III 2253-17, 12.05 Lécluse
    Spad VII #B.1573, 19 Sqn. RFC, 2/Lt. R. Applin, KIA

29Apr17 Ritt. M. v. Richthofen-50v Albatros D.III 2253-17, 16.55 SW Inchy
    FE2b #4898, 18 Sqn. RFC, Sgt. G. Stead, KIA & Cpl. A. Beebe, KIA

29Apr17 Ritt. M. v. Richthofen-51v Albatros D.III 2253-17, 19.25 Roeux
    BE2d #2738, 12 Sqn. RFC, 2/Lt. D.E. Davis, KIA & Lt. G.H. Rathbone, KIA

29Apr17 Ritt. M. v. Richthofen-52v Albatros D.III 2253-17, 19.40 Billy-Montigny
    Sopwith Tripe #N.5463, Naval 8, F/S/Lt. A.E. Cuzner, KIA

Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo
    Fiorst of all we discarded the option to make this game as a collectible card game, back in 2004, out of respect to buyers, and we tried to give you the opportunity to use several copies at the same time (providing extra plabne cards) in case several of your friends bought it. Then we tried never to make anything obsolete (even if a couple of little change have been made to some plane for historical accuracy - but you can still play with the previous version): no rules changes or modifications to materials to make you throw away old stuff to buy new one, or to make your stuff worthless on second hand market. Not even new waves of so powerful new stuff that your previous buys are unbalanced and no more fun. Believe me, we are players and we try to stay on your side.
    And this is exactly why those of us who have been in the game (pun intended) since pretty much the beginning (by which I mean Nexus) have stuck with it through the years.
    Last edited by zenlizard; 04-09-2017 at 09:51.

"out of respect to buyers, and we tried to give you the opportunity to use several copies at the same time (providing extra plabne cards) in case several of your friends bought it. Then we tried never to make anything obsolete (even if a couple of little change have been made to some plane for historical accuracy - but you can still play with the previous version): no rules changes or modifications to materials to make you throw away old stuff to buy new one, or to make your stuff worthless on second hand market. Not even new waves of so powerful new stuff that your previous buys are unbalanced and no more fun."

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Spot on!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

[QUOTE=john snelling;441636]
    Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post

Flash, here is the long version of your post From "Under the Guns of the Red Baron" Norman Franks, Hal Giblin and Nigel McCrery.

789/17

23Jan17 Ltn. M. v. Richthofen-17v Albatros D.III 789-17, 16.10 SW Lens
    FE8 #6388, 40 Sqn. RFC, 2/Lt. J. Hay, KIA

24Jan17 Ltn. M. v. Richthofen-18v Albatros D.III 789-17, 12.15 W. Vitry, N. Arras
    FE2b #6997, 25 Sqn. RFC, Capt. O. Greig, POW & 2/Lt. J.E. MacLennan, POW

18Jun17 Ritt. M. v. Richthofen-53v Albatros D.III 789-17, 13.15 N. Ypres 163
    RE8 #A.4290, 9 Sqn. RFC, Lt. R.W.E. Ellis, KIA & Lt. H.C. Barlow, KIA
    Sources vary. In any case, the plane of the two January victory has this scheme and is historically iconic since it was the first one that Richthofen painted red. He then abandoned the model for some time after noticing lesions on the wings, using a Halberstadt instead.

[QUOTE=Angiolillo;441666]
    Quote Originally Posted by john snelling View Post

Sources vary. In any case, the plane of the two January victory has this scheme and is historically iconic since it was the first one that Richthofen painted red. He then abandoned the model for some time after noticing lesions on the wings, using a Halberstadt instead.
    Yes, sources vary sometimes greatly that is why I always list the reference I use when discussing MvR victories.

I'm actually real glad this version is coming out. There are some repaints I would like to do in this version.

Perhaps the Barons Halberstadt when they are released next time?

Perhaps.

Thanks a lot. Other publishing houses seem to have another strategy. As Games Workshop, to name one, who for so many years changed their world every single edition of the game, outlawed figures from their own army lists, and made each generation of miniatures a few mm higher than the previous one to have any other (their or from competitors) look less impressive and nice. They seemed top aim to a generational change of players every two years or so. And they seemed to take care to make obsolete all previous releases, so to make them worthless in the hands of people trying to sell them as econd hand stuff. Or even on the shelves of shops that just ordered them a few weeks before.
    GW is the ultimate exponent of the "razor-blade" business model (that is: Gillette doesn't make money selling the razor handles; it makes money on the DISPOSABLE, NON-REUSABLE blades).

Then there's A Certain Other Company With An Air-Combat Minis Game who's gone so far down the Tournament Rabbit-Hole, it's finally swung 'round to bite it on its a**.

I may give y'all grief on other topics, but here, I can safely say: You haven't made the mistakes of others. For that, I thank you.

I hope that you'll find our games quite gamers' friendly if compared to competition, as several of you are actually saying. Fiorst of all we discarded the option to make this game as a collectible card game, back in 2004, out of respect to buyers, and we tried to give you the opportunity to use several copies at the same time (providing extra plabne cards) in case several of your friends bought it. Then we tried never to make anything obsolete (even if a couple of little change have been made to some plane for historical accuracy - but you can still play with the previous version): no rules changes or modifications to materials to make you throw away old stuff to buy new one, or to make your stuff worthless on second hand market. Not even new waves of so powerful new stuff that your previous buys are unbalanced and no more fun. Believe me, we are players and we try to stay on your side.

ive said it before but it bears saying again thank you so much for making the game components retroactively playable!!!! so many games arent. and thank the heavens for not making it a collectible card game or going the blind booster pack route!!!!! i highly doubt id be into the game so much were that so.

And in a future product we will share new rules and new skills, so that there will be no need to hunt single plane boxes here and there.
    I just wanted to say thank you very much. I know that one does not need the to have the optional rules to play. Of course not, they are optional. But that doesn't address the person who wants to own a complete set of game rules, officially, whether you play them all or not. If is fantastic that Ares would be coming out with a new future product; one that allows us to have a complete game without having to purchase individual planes.

This is one of the reasons I started playing Wings of Glory. This and several other reasons is why I continue to enjoy playing.

I know I said it above, but thank you again.

Miscellaneous Miniatures
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kevin
    Sorties Flown

Default Test run of 1/144 scale decals

First test run of the decals. 1/144 scale model from Shapeways. They've a matte and bumpy surface to contend with but I don't think they're too far off the mark. Constructive comments welcome. You can send me a PM or there's a related thread here: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...o-45-Sqn-Camel

Kevin

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170410_202002.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	179.8 KB 
ID:	220923Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170410_201902.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	172.7 KB 
ID:	220924Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170410_201751.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	150.9 KB 
ID:	220925Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170410_201640.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	145.8 KB 
ID:	220926Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170410_202030.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	143.3 KB 
ID:	220922

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Those will be great options for other Austro-Hungarian planes, Kevin - lovely work! Keep it up

All the best,
    Matt

Whys is there a banana on the table?

Miscellaneous Miniatures
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kevin
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Whys is there a banana on the table?
    Fresh out of apples.

Some of the new birds on pre-order on the CoolStuff site . . . : )

Well I was hopeing for British N17 but I will have to make do with any silver one and re-deceal it. As for for the RE8's but now I will at least two of each and retire my old ones. Not bothering with any Austrian-Hungarians as I recently sold all mine and the Italian planes. They were just sitting in the hanger and I needed the space.

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Some of the new birds on pre-order on the CoolStuff site . . . : )
    Those looking for a much better deal would do well to wait a little longer on the AA pre-order announcement

I am, Herr Oberst, I am!!!!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

AA has the best deals and service, Herr Oberst.
    Voilą le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Those looking for a much better deal would do well to wait a little longer on the AA pre-order announcement
    I am WAITING!

I wonder if they are going to add Russian planes in the next series. I can already imagine it! An S-16 fighter and an Ilya Muromet bomber!

I'll keep my eye out for that. Though I tend not to purchase complete sets.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. What series 2 (WW2) are you awaiting the most?
    By The Blue Baron in forum Polls
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-12-2020, 14:56
  2. What series 4 (WW1) are you awaiting the most?
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 02-17-2018, 14:41
  3. Awaiting the Fokker Scourge.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 07-23-2011, 17:35
  4. Replies: 59
    Last Post: 06-27-2011, 23:42
  5. What upcoming product are you awaiting the most?
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 06-01-2011, 17:30