Ares Games
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: T.B.C. Awaiting discussions with ARES

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Nice, what unit are those from (or where did you find them)?

Those come from decals sheet from Pheon Models, Oeffag Albatros 1/48
    I've found them here

The one on top with the white 8 (153.17) is Flik 55J flown by Stfw Josef Kiss & Lt. Egbert Lupfer
    The one in the middle (54.56) is Flik 63J, Portobuffole, jaro 1918, Lt Edgard Morath
    The one below (153.46) seems to be Flik 51J, Campoformido, únor 1918, flown by Fw. Eugen Bönsch
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled.png  

Two more:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alb_153.85 Flik 41J, Toressella, 1918,Zgsf. Alfred Brand.jpg 
Views:	527 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	213797
    From 153.85 Flik 41J, Toressella, 1918, Flown by Zgsf. Alfred Brand

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alb_153.95 - Flik 2D, San Pietro, 1918, Zgsf. Josef Pöschl, Oblt. Fritz Losert.jpg 
Views:	525 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	213798
    153.95 - Flik 2D, San Pietro, 1918, flown by Zgsf. Josef Pöschl & Oblt. Fritz Losert

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

LOVE these simple repaint/redecal options for Austro-Hungarian Albatros models! Decals would be great, Keith, but some would be pretty easy repaints (although I fully realize not everyone on the site it up to that option).

It would be lovely if every re-release or new series had a 'generic' plane that would allow easy conversion for those wanting to explore that option. This Albatros option looks like a nice way to ease into the possibilities...

Kudos to you, Ezekiel, for posting options for A-H Albatros schemes!

All the best,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by monse View Post
    The R.E.8 in the mix are by the way from 52 Squadron that often used twin machineguns, and from 30 Squadron that added a recoilles 1.57" Davis gun to one of its planes, shooting 45° downward for ground attacks.
    Special cards are included for both.
    The RAF RE8 with the Davis gun will give interesting option for ground attack scenarios.

Here is an information found on The Aerodrome :
    "A few 2-pounder Davies guns were dispatched to Mesopotamia where, in January 1918, 30 squadron armourers fitted one to an RE.8, a small aircraft. It was clamped to the starboard side of the fuselage alongside the observer's cockpit to fire at 45 degrees forward and downward. The installation gave excellant service on ground attack operations and, after a few modifications in the squadron workshop, no trouble was encountered with the gun's action or discomfort to the crew."

http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=56517

A part of the gun can be seen behind the observer post.

"[...]The installation gave excellant service on ground attack operations and, after a few modifications in the squadron workshop, no trouble was encountered with the gun's action or discomfort to the crew."
    I'm just wondering how all that weight affected an already-slow and -ill-handling airplane....

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    I'm just wondering how all that weight affected an already-slow and -ill-handling airplane....
    Call it 'fully-loaded' all the time, additional climb counter required to gain altitude.

There is a Wikipedia article about the Davis gun at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davis_gun

Anyone know of a font that is close to the serial numbers on the side of the D.IIIs?

Gruber's: 53.60. Richthofen's: 789/17. Frommertz: I do not know.

Anyone know of a font that is close to the serial numbers on the side of the D.IIIs?
    See http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=38417

And http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=38719
    Last edited by Zoe Brain; 01-11-2017 at 00:18.

For shame no British Niuport 17"s

Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo View Post
    Gruber's: 53.60. Richthofen's: 789/17. Frommertz: I do not know.
    Thanks for that info Andrea.

Thanks Zoe, I've sent Mike and email. Hopefully after 8 years he is still sending them out.

Well, the email address he had listed returns a fatal error now.

Well, the email address he had listed returns a fatal error now.
    I have copies - email me.

It would be fantastic if the Series 3 reprints could be released on or before the 4th month this year - 100 year anniversary of Bloody April 1917.

We don't have prototype pictures so far...
    Voilà le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Barry
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    We don't have prototype pictures so far...
    It would be nice but we can only live in hope!

Barry

I really, really hope the WGF117B Nieuport 17 (Nungesser) is the silver with the red, white, and blue stripes on the upper wing!

Nungesser's Nieuport 17 at the time he was attached to the Escadrille Lafayette. Same plane as in Wings of War.
    Nungesser's Nieuport 17 will have the green camo.
    If you want a silver camo, you will be able to get Thaw's Nieuport 17.

I think Thaw's doped aluminium N.17 will sell well to the repainting crowd.

For those looking to repaint their N.17s check out this webpage 'French Fighters in British Service During WW1' -

http://ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/20..._frenchww1.htm

It contains some gold class info for those into repainting and modifying their miniatures.
    Last edited by Carl_Brisgamer; 02-03-2017 at 20:57.

Baracca will also be silver.

Baracca will also be silver.
    Another great resource for Italian repaints, thank you Andrea.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    I think Thaw's doped aluminium N.17 will sell well to the repainting crowd.

For those looking to repaint their N.17s check out this webpage 'French Fighters in British Service During WW1' -

http://ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/20..._frenchww1.htm

It contains some gold class info for those into repainting and modifying their miniatures.
    Nice resource Carl!
    Iam assuming the "White" coloured aircraft were actually Silver.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Nice resource Carl!
    Iam assuming the "White" coloured aircraft were actually Silver.
    Roger that Baz

Very timely post Carl, as I'm shortly to begin RFC Nieuport repaints.

Many thanks!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Sorry, didn't see original post. I just really liked the other Nungesser paint job...

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dan
    Sorties Flown

It would be fantastic if the Series 3 reprints could be released on or before the 4th month this year - 100 year anniversary of Bloody April 1917.
    Most likely September 2017 - at least thats the time they always seem to come out to me

Still its good to see the line continue.

Here's the problem with D.III's... accounting for just the "big parts" differences will require at least two prop and IIRC three fuselage part sculpts.
    --Spinnered prop we already have
    --New unspinnered prop for later Austrian versions
    --"Spinner"-cowl fuse we already have (use with unspinnered prop for late A-H Ser. 153's)
    --"Bullet" cowl for unspinnered prop (A-H Ser. 253's)
    --IIRC some late 253's had a D.V rudder
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Here's the problem with D.III's... accounting for just the "big parts" differences will require at least two prop and IIRC three fuselage part sculpts.
    --Spinnered prop we already have
    --New unspinnered prop for later Austrian versions
    --"Spinner"-cowl fuse we already have (use with unspinnered prop for late A-H Ser. 153's)
    --"Bullet" cowl for unspinnered prop (A-H Ser. 253's)
    --IIRC some late 253's had a D.V rudder
    Pardon me as I cast Summon Jeremy Clarkson: "How Hard Can It Be" to have a D.III mini designed as "build-your-own"? That is: The props are already separate pieces; have the nose and tail designed as "plug-in" units, with "standard" and "bullet" versions. Assembly is [Prop]:[Nose]:[Main Body]:[Tail].

Quote Originally Posted by skyking20 View Post
    Still its good to see the line continue.
    I agree 100%. I'm happy whenever they release new planes or reprints.

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Pardon me as I cast Summon Jeremy Clarkson: "How Hard Can It Be" to have a D.III mini designed as "build-your-own"? That is: The props are already separate pieces; have the nose and tail designed as "plug-in" units, with "standard" and "bullet" versions. Assembly is [Prop]:[Nose]:[Main Body]:[Tail].
    Pardon me as I cast Smack French Silly... :P In theory sound concept and would work easily large-scale, but more fiddly bits means more labor required to assemble, and then you need some mechanism in the joining pins to index the pieces together so they don't twist out of alignment. And to reduce the joints and associated out-of-alignment twist risk I'd just make it Prop-Front Half-Back Half at most. Bigger parts are easier to handle. Six components to your seven, though my earlier version was even easier with just five bigger parts and only three being new, as opposed to Total Retool.

*drops Clarkson out bomb bay sans chute*
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Very timely post Carl, as I'm shortly to begin RFC Nieuport repaints.

Many thanks!
    Of course, you are going to need some cannon fodder for those lovely Jasta 2 Albatros D.Is.

Of course, you are going to need some cannon fodder for those lovely Jasta 2 Albatros D.Is.

That was the general idea!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

*drops Clarkson out bomb bay sans chute*
    No need for that....

[casts Dismiss Jeremy Clarkson]

[spell fails -- now Ares is being run by Mr. Clarkson]

Oops.

The original Nexus Albatros D.V's had detachable tails. I know because one came off a model. I have not tried detaching any others.

Original D.III is the round tail, D.V the flat-back pictured above on the 53s, 153s and 253s, right? If the D.III was tooled similar to the D.V, just swap a D.V tail on and all you need to tool is a new prop and round nose.

Do we have any data about when in the line the spinner was dropped creating the "flatnose 153/253", and when the "roundnose 253" streamlined cowl came in?

Original D.III is the round tail, D.V the flat-back pictured above on the 53s, 153s and 253s, right? If the D.III was tooled similar to the D.V, just swap a D.V tail on and all you need to tool is a new prop and round nose.

Do we have any data about when in the line the spinner was dropped creating the "flatnose 153/253", and when the "roundnose 253" streamlined cowl came in?
    The German Albatros D.III (not made by OAW) and the A-H visually have the same flat back tail.
    The Alb D.V and the Alb D.III made by OAW has the rounded tail.

The flat nose ones could be Alb D.III 53.20 to 53.64, 153.01 to 153.111 with out the nose cone By Sept 1917 they were generally flown without the spinner.

Beginning with aircraft 153.112 the Alb D.III Oeffag was delivered with the rounded nose. I had to calculate but, Dec 1917 seems most likely when accepted.

Just saw this and as a non purist and having all the Series III planes they look good to me. Thanks for the post.

Quote Originally Posted by john snelling View Post
    The German Albatros D.III (not made by OAW) and the A-H visually have the same flat back tail.
    The Alb D.V and the Alb D.III made by OAW has the rounded tail.

The flat nose ones could be Alb D.III 53.20 to 53.64, 153.01 to 153.111 with out the nose cone By Sept 1917 they were generally flown without the spinner.

Beginning with aircraft 153.112 the Alb D.III Oeffag was delivered with the rounded nose. I had to calculate but, Dec 1917 seems most likely when accepted.
    By D.III(OAW) that's a second German line, not an A-H one, right?

OK, let's see if I've got this:
    --Original Alb. and Oeffag, Oeffag 53 early: Spinner prop, Flat nose, Flat tail
    --OAW: Spinner prop, Flat nose, Round tail
    --Oeffag 53 late and 153 early: Bare prop, Flat nose, Flat tail
    --Oeffag 153 late and 253: Bare prop, Round nose, Flat tail

Any major variations I've missed that'd be noticeable in this scale?

By D.III(OAW) that's a second German line, not an A-H one, right?

OK, let's see if I've got this:
    --Original Alb. and Oeffag, Oeffag 53 early: Spinner prop, Flat nose, Flat tail
    --OAW: Spinner prop, Flat nose, Round tail
    --Oeffag 53 late and 153 early: Bare prop, Flat nose, Flat tail
    --Oeffag 153 late and 253: Bare prop, Round nose, Flat tail

I think it would be best to completely separate the German and A-H Albatros D.III's

German Albatros D.III, not OAW, nose cone, flat tail
    German Albatros D.III OAW and Alb D.V nose cone, round tail
    I have only seen one picture German Albatros without the nose cone flying or taking off, there is probably more out there somewhere.

A-H Albatros D.III 53.20 to 53.64, 153.01 to 153.111 nose cone , flat tail but, by Sept 1917 they were generally flown without the nose cone which made them look like flat nose.
    A-H Albatros D.III 153.112 and later and 253 series: Round nose, Flat tail

Didn't the LFT have a batch of D.III's built to the original design, pre-Series 53, though? And was 53.20 the first 53, or what about 1-19?

Also, 253 late needs exposed guns mounted on the decking.

Hmm... makes one wonder what you'd get if you combined the D.III/253 and D.V's refinements into one design.

Didn't the LFT have a batch of D.III's built to the original design, pre-Series 53, though? And was 53.20 the first 53, or what about 1-19?

Also, 253 late needs exposed guns mounted on the decking.

Hmm... makes one wonder what you'd get if you combined the D.III/253 and D.V's refinements into one design.
    Albatros D.II 53 was the original series.

Exposed guns were not popular with all the pilots, grease got smeared over their goggles and their MGs hardly jammed.

The A-H 253 series was better than the German D.V.

The German D.V was not that much better than the German D.III and some pilots said the OAW D.III was better than the D.V.

"A cutoff of Federal funding, and a visit from the Ethics Department"? ;)

*casts Propel Boot Into Rapid Contact With French's Posterior Region*

*casts Propel Boot Into Rapid Contact With French's Posterior Region*
    [sidestep]

;)

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

I must admit I am looking forward to these planes coming out 'again'...especially the A-H Albatros - it's ripe for repaints!!!

And the Ufags and RE8s will be welcome - we never seem to fly enough two-seaters...at least in our gaming group, anyway!

BRING 'EM ON! (Sooner rather than later, please!)

All the best,
    Matt

Are theses for official wings of glory? because i'm not entirely sure.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Dieter W. View Post
    Are theses for official wings of glory? because i'm not entirely sure.
    Yes Max. These are the next WW1 releases from Ares.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. What series 2 (WW2) are you awaiting the most?
    By The Blue Baron in forum Polls
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-12-2020, 14:56
  2. What series 4 (WW1) are you awaiting the most?
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 02-17-2018, 14:41
  3. Awaiting the Fokker Scourge.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 07-23-2011, 17:35
  4. Replies: 59
    Last Post: 06-27-2011, 23:42
  5. What upcoming product are you awaiting the most?
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 06-01-2011, 17:30