Ares Games

Thread: Google Hangout - West Coast Wrangle

Default Google Hangout - West Coast Wrangle

For any interested in trying, I am attempting a game using Google Hangout.

This is specifically for Scott [Tokhuah] and Pete [Stumptonian], but if others are available, they can attempt to join in.

I am aiming for Monday or Tuesday evening Pacific Standard Time, around 7 PM, for a max of two hours.

This can be one-on-one or a scenario, and we can decide when we meet up. If you have limitations in plane selection, we can custom tailor the game to fit.

Please let me know if you are available, and when. If I don't have you on my Google Contacts, yet, PM me with your email, so I can invite you.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

I think Tuesday would work better for me.

That will dodge Dancing With the Stars, then. Good for my relationship with SWMBO.
    Mike

Sorry, I cannot make Tuesday due to a City Council meeting (I work in government). However, what I need to do is get in on a session as an observer only for the first time anyway. I exclusively play WGS so the tripods would not be the only thing alien to me.

Any more planned attempts at getting this up and running Mike?
    See you on the Dark Side......

Let me know what times you have planned.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

I purchased a WWI plane (representing a prefered era country) so I can join. Weekends are best for me unless you want to fly after 9 pm. Since I have never played WGF I may need some pre-game tutelage.

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Let me know what times you have planned.
    Depending on availability, it will be tomorrow night, 29 Nov 16. That won't be too good for European players. The next best opportunity could be Friday evening 2 Dec, or sometime Friday/Saturday 9/10 Dec.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokhuah View Post
    I purchased a WWI plane (representing a prefered era country) so I can join. Weekends are best for me unless you want to fly after 9 pm. Since I have never played WGF I may need some pre-game tutelage.
    9 PM might be a bit late, but if we keep the game to 1.5-2 hours that is doable. Not tomorrow, as I have someone coming over to see how this works, in person, and they work the next day. Being retired, I just lay around in bed until the cat crying for food gets to be too much (joking. I use the cat as a back-up alarm).

PS: Just for scenario purposes, which plane, Scott?
    Mike

So, as noted above, anyone available for 29 Nov for 7-9 PM PST? Andrew [OverTheClouds] will be joining in at my place to see how this works.

The suggested time is below, now moved Sunday, and adjusted for the time change this weekend.
    Location Local time Time zone UTC offset
    Comox (BC) Tuesday, Nov 29 at 07:00 PM PST UTC-8 hours
    Talvern (France) Wednesday, Nov 30 at 4:00 AM CET UTC+1 hour
    Toowoomba (Australia) Wednesday, Nov 30 at 1:00 PM CET UTC+10 hour
    Corresponding UTC (GMT) Wednesday, November 30 2016 at 03:00 0:00
    Glossary - UTC Coordinated Universal Time - the international basis for other time zones.
    Same time as for GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) and Zulu time.
    Mike

I am currently in a City Council meeting at the moment but am on laptop so could log-on as an observer (unless I need to handle an item on the dais). How do I find you on Hangouts?

RE: The plane I bought... I probably did not make a practical choice... but let's start with a riddle.

I bought the preferred plane of an Italian Targaryen with an interest in blue-water ops.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokhuah View Post
    I am currently in a City Council meeting at the moment but am on laptop so could log-on as an observer (unless I need to handle an item on the dais). How do I find you on Hangouts?

RE: The plane I bought... I probably did not make a practical choice... but let's start with a riddle.

I bought the preferred plane of an Italian Targaryen with an interest in blue-water ops.
    Scott,
    With no previous indication of attendance from others, and yourself only listening in, there isn't much of a game to be played.

Also, I don't have any Macchi M.5s, if that is the plane you picked up. So, that might be a bit difficult to represent on the table. Sorry.
    Mike

I am sorry that I am so difficult to please...

If everyone just bought a ton of WGS...

OOOh 04.00 is a tad to early for me as I am at work by 09.00 Sorry mike no good for me this time (literally )

Scott,
    That is my problem. I was trying not to get into WGS. Now, I have a bunch of planes, but they are all Battle of Britain focused. This means you probably don't have any of them (yet).

Also, it seems that real life keeps getting in the way of a good game, and the more people (and time zones) you add to the mix, the harder it gets.

It is also coming up on the holiday season, where scheduling becomes even more complex.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Scott,
    That is my problem. I was trying not to get into WGS. Now, I have a bunch of planes, but they are all Battle of Britain focused. This means you probably don't have any o them (yet).

Also, it seems that real life keeps getting in the way of a good game, and the more people (and time zones) you add to the mix, the harder it gets.

It is also coming up on the holiday season, where scheduling becomes even more complex.
    What he said.

I"m curious, how does a live game work via Hangouts? Do you say I'm using this maneuver and everyone on the video chat does the same at their location? What about damage assessment?

Has anyone tried to make a codex for Vassel for Wings of Glory? I personally have never used it but I hear it is popular with X-Wing fans. I wonder if Role20 might work; it doesn't seem suited for it though but does allow more than two players.

@Mike: Despite my focus on USA and JPN order of battle (complete in multitude back to series #1) I have recently hunted down some real treasures for the European theater. The lot I acquired from Bartertown included a series #1 Bf 109 and two metal Hurricanes that only needed BoB roundels because I had the airplane cards and maneuver decks from a pre-minis set. A couple of weeks ago I purchased three series #1 Spits + Martlet for less that MSRP from ebay; just saying options are there. In fact, my hope is to create an unofficial variant by porting out and modifying the Tripods rules into WGS but themed around: "Victory of the Daleks" (see Doctor Who episode). I ordered a sprue of four 1:160 Daleks from Shapeways that I hope will not look egregiously huge next WGS planes. I wonder if the Risk version of the Daleks would work?

Sorry about the derail...

I agree about having the time. Actually, later this month around the new year and beyond opens up a bit for me. Let's keep trying and eventually something will stick!

It will probably be the New Year before I can jump in again as well.

Similar Missions

1. Google Trieste
    By Baxter in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-20-2016, 17:12
  2. Replies: 40
    Last Post: 08-06-2013, 04:21
  3. Hangout over Skype
    By Fraxture in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 07-22-2013, 06:46
  4. Google Map of aerodromes