Ares Games

Thread: Of All Things

Default Of All Things

One of my part-time jobs is as a proofreader for a company that republishes a lot of the old s/ff, westerns, detective, adventure stuff as e-books. In his never-ending search for stuff to republish, my boss haunts estate sales, used book stores and the like. Yesterday, he came back from one such foray. set something down beside/behind me, and said, "Happy un-birthday, Sam!"

A blast from the past:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MBAHD.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	208944

It's missing only one of the mostly-irrelevant triangular card holders, and claims to have originally had a 32-page color foldout booklet.

Wasn't there another copy posted within the last couple of months to the 'drome? Looked, but I couldn't find it.

I have two sets of this game, it is one of my childhood treasures! It no doubt had a HUGE influence in my game life. Last year I had a nostalgia crisis and could not find my first one, so quickly turned to EBay and bought a second that is complete and hardly used: ) I also bought the Broadside Game and the Regatta game . . . miss the barrel role card in WOW . . . . have enought minis to play this game on the original board, hmm. . . getting those old days feelings again! Break out the Deep Purple albums and light up the incense cones . . . . groovy days . . . .

Nice find Sam.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Now that's the sort of boss we'd all want !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

I have two copies, as well. One mostly-intact with the aforementioned booklet (a brief history of the air war in WW1); one "scrap" which I rescued from my 5th-grade teacher.

That second one comes with a story: On Fridays, she would teach us about Business and Economics by having us actually try to run business in the classroom (as part of a notional "nation"). After failing miserably at most conventional forms of business, I found a "get rich quick" scheme: I pulled out that game, and for B50 (the currency name started with "B"), someone had a chance to win B100 from me; all he had to do was beat me at the game.

My first week, I pulled in B300; then averaged B150 after that.

"No, I said '*poker* is an honest trade'; only suckers buck the tiger -- the odds are all on the house."
    ["Doc" Holliday, _Tombstone_]

>;)

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

This was my first 'military' board game - and it's still a favorite! Sadly, my copy is looooooonnnnnnggggg gone...

When it came up earlier this year in discussion, I surfed ebay a bit looking for a copy - I thought prices rather reasonable - but I did not pounce on one. This post reminds me that I NEED to get a copy!

All the best,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by zenlizard View Post
    One of my part-time jobs is as a proofreader for a company that republishes a lot of the old s/ff, westerns, detective, adventure stuff as e-books. In his never-ending search for stuff to republish, my boss haunts estate sales, used book stores and the like. Yesterday, he came back from one such foray. set something down beside/behind me, and said, "Happy un-birthday, Sam!"

A blast from the past:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MBAHD.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	208944

It's missing only one of the mostly-irrelevant triangular card holders, and claims to have originally had a 32-page color foldout booklet.

Wasn't there another copy posted within the last couple of months to the 'drome? Looked, but I couldn't find it.
    Sam, I made the Dogfight post, here it is:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...play+wings+war

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Nowotny View Post
    Sam, I made the Dogfight post, here it is:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...play+wings+war
    Ah, thank you. Does bring back memories, doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by zenlizard View Post
    Ah, thank you. Does bring back memories, doesn't it?
    Memories of a care-free, Happy time. I'll Drink to that!

Similar Missions

1. AAR A portent of things to come.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Fire in the Skies
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-13-2014, 22:55
  2. Two new things in the R&A rules
    By Lino22 in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-28-2013, 02:06
  3. The Shape of Things to Come
    By Naharaht in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 8