Ares Games

Thread: Late Report: WoW at Origins 2010

Thumbs up Late Report: WoW at Origins 2010

I had the opportunity to play in an open session of WoW at Origins 2010. The session was hosted by Ralph Krebs (crhkrebs) and his son, who own all the minis, terrain, and equipment seen in the pictures. They drove down from Canada for the show... and took the time to set up so a few of us could play! We had an absolute blast! I had played before... but never with minis and was totally, hopelessly hooked after this!

We had enough time to play two missions. The game was set up for beginning players, so no altitude rules were used and a few simplified house rules were in effect. This provided for a quick moving smooth running session that seemed to be enjoyed by all players involved!

A play by play can be seen by checking out the album I have put up here.

Here are a few teaser pictures:

Thanks to Ralph and his son for all their hard work putting together a collection of incredible models! Loved every second of the event!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Thumbs up Wow!

Impressive! Thanks to everyone involved.

VG

The buildings look fantastic! Something I'll have to look into.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveZee View Post
    Actually Ralph if you are reading this, I have been meaning to ask you: where did you get the buildings and what scale are they?
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Most excellent pictures -- visually impressive! I like to hear that a convention went well, and this game lends itself well to the convention atmosphere (IMO).

Yes, where did you get the buildings and what scale are they. I have picked up a few things in 6mm, but the visual impact of the row of buildings is stunning - and seems to be easy enough to move out of the way if need be; very good idea for a convention game where eye candy tends to draw people over.

Cheers!

Thanks for sharing the pictures Ken, great stuff.

Great pictures and I like the flame markers that they are using no wonder you became a full WoW addict afterwards.
    Cheers Aled

Now that's the way a Convention/Show game should be run.
    Bravo! to Ralph and son.

And that's the sort of very positive response that will follow.
    Thanks for reporting it so well Ken. "Cowman" ??? must have been a brother that saddled you with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Now that's the way a Convention/Show game should be run.
    Bravo! to Ralph and son.

And that's the sort of very positive response that will follow.
    Thanks for reporting it so well Ken. "Cowman" ??? must have been a brother that saddled you with this.
    The whole "Cowman" thing is a long story! Once Keith gets the blog portion of the site functioning maybe I will tell it!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Thanks for sharing, Ken. Loved the pictures!!

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by DaveZee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KiltedWolf View Post
    Most excellent pictures -- visually impressive! I like to hear that a convention went well, and this game lends itself well to the convention atmosphere (IMO).

Yes, where did you get the buildings and what scale are they. I have picked up a few things in 6mm, but the visual impact of the row of buildings is stunning - and seems to be easy enough to move out of the way if need be; very good idea for a convention game where eye candy tends to draw people over.

Cheers!
    I got an e-mail back from Ralph today about the terrain. This is what he had to say:

"The buildings were given to me if I would paint them up and use them. As you know they are smaller, about 1/285 to 1/300 "micro scale". I actually like the look of that as it makes it look like the planes look higher up. It is also very easy to get anything in this scale. Googling "1/300 terrain" will get you a lot of manufacturers."

If you want 1/144 scale (which is closer to 10mm figures) then you are much more limited. Googling 1/144 terrain gets you fewer manufacturers. Also check N scale railroad terrain as it is close. I don`t actually know any manufacturers in this size. You`ll have to check on the Internet."

Thanks Ralph!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

How did I manage to miss this cracking show until today. I have been toying with the idea of adding buildings for some time. This may just prompt me into a decision. A great set up Ken. Give Ralph and son my approbation.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    How did I manage to miss this cracking show until today. I have been toying with the idea of adding buildings for some time. This may just prompt me into a decision. A great set up Ken. Give Ralph and son my approbation.
    Rob.
    You should gather up a few buddies, hop the pond, and come visit us for a week in Columbus to check out the show... I have not missed one in 15 years. I even went 2 years ago just two weeks after a major back surgery!

As I said earlier, Ralph is a member here (crhkrebs) and also on the Yahoo group. He just seems to be a very busy fellow and never makes it over here much. Perhaps if we all flood his Private Message Box with notes of appreciation for his modeling skill he will make a point to stop by and say howdy!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Default pic.s

nice pic.s like the smoke and fire!

Thanks to Ken "Cowman". It was fun running these scenarios, especially with nice, friendly and enthusiastic players. We were kind of playing it by ear and am glad that I turned Ken into such a fanatic.

Like Ken reported the buildings are in 6mm "microscale". I prefer the look of that, as it distorts the perspective and makes the planes "look" like they are actually higher. I don't know the manufacturer, unfortunately. The trucks, tanks, artillery, AA guns, trenches and ground troops are all 6mm figures from Irregular Miniatures. I bought them through their website and some through vendors at the HMGS-East shows.

I think I'll run some WOW at next years Origins too. If anyone is at the show and wants to drop in, keep an eye out for us. I do remember that we had a lot of fun, but I can't remember if the Germans ever did blow up British Command. At least now we have the official cards for the AEG's.

Thanks for posting, Ken and thanks to all for the responses.

Ralph

Ken,
    Thanks for the pics...was this the Origins in Columbus, OH? Any idea if the next one will be there as well?

Quote Originally Posted by MayorJim View Post
    Ken,
    Thanks for the pics...was this the Origins in Columbus, OH? Any idea if the next one will be there as well?
    June 22 - 26, 2011... and I believe for at least the next two years after that.
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Thanks Ken...gotta put it on the old calendar...might even be able to convince the Lt Col., she who must be obeyed, to come along...

Damn, I missed a god show. I had intended to get there at least 1 day, but my contracters went over 2 days, so I spent the weekend painting instead of gaming.
    Next yes for sure. (one good thing about my 29 years in, 6 weeks vacation. Makes up a bit for not making cost of living )
    Karl
    Last edited by Jager; 11-29-2010 at 13:09. Reason: It's hard to type in a dark room :)
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I think we should try to get as many folks from this site there as possible! I intend to run a few events next year... could be a smashing good time!

(Ack... wait... no smashing of minis allowed...)

Hmmmm... imagine an event where you bring your own mini... just one... and the person who shoots you down gets to take a hammer to it as reward... I bet that would definitely change how most of us fly...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Quote Originally Posted by The Cowman View Post
    I think we should try to get as many folks from this site there as possible! I intend to run a few events next year... could be a smashing good time!

(Ack... wait... no smashing of minis allowed...)

Hmmmm... imagine an event where you bring your own mini... just one... and the person who shoots you down gets to take a hammer to it as reward... I bet that would definitely change how most of us fly...
    Well, it sure gives getting "hammered" a new meaning The way I fly, I don't think I could afford that many mini's getting "hammered" anyway

Ken, are you running a WoW event? Should I bring my stuff? Can we drag some Aerodromers to Columbus?

Mind you it is a somewhat costly Convention and the local Hotels book up early and aren't cheap. Apart from that, it is a neat Convention where you will see all sorts of gaming, role playing, board gaming, etc. The historical miniature gaming (what I play) is growing all the time.

Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by crhkrebs View Post
    Ken, are you running a WoW event? Should I bring my stuff? Can we drag some Aerodromers to Columbus?

Mind you it is a somewhat costly Convention and the local Hotels book up early and aren't cheap. Apart from that, it is a neat Convention where you will see all sorts of gaming, role playing, board gaming, etc. The historical miniature gaming (what I play) is growing all the time.

Ralph
    Ralph if you come and bring your stuff and I bring what I have and will have collected or built by then, we could put on one major sized event!! I am sure we can drag a few of the guys from this Aerodrome to join us and play! Could be a lot of fun! Either way it would would be good just to see you again! I know it is a bit of a haul for you!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Well...depending on when it is, I can help...

Ralph if you come and bring your stuff and I bring what I have and will have collected or built by then, we could put on one major sized event!! I am sure we can drag a few of the guys from this Aerodrome to join us and play! Could be a lot of fun! Either way it would would be good just to see you again! I know it is a bit of a haul for you!
    Sounds good to me. We can coordinate what to bring later. But a large game would work well. I would recommend streamlined "convention" rules to propel the game along, what do you think?

Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by crhkrebs View Post
    Sounds good to me. We can coordinate what to bring later. But a large game would work well. I would recommend streamlined "convention" rules to propel the game along, what do you think?

Ralph
    Exactly!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Ken,

Why not start a new thread for this? It might draw more interest?

Similar Missions

1. Origins and Gen Con
    By RBREE in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-24-2011, 00:50
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-31-2010, 22:26
  3. Origins Awards 2010
    By The Blue Baron in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-21-2010, 05:58
  4. Report from Williamsburg Muster 2010